• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Outlook 2010 'freezes' before moving emails

useful43

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I have had this annoying problem with Outlook 2010 for a long time and I have tried everything I can think of without a resolution, so I am hoping someone can help me.

I am running Outlook 2010 (POP3) on a very fast Windows 7 Pro Xeon workstation, with 16GB RAM and SSD drives. Office 2010 SP1 is installed with all the latest patches.

Whenever I drag-and-drop an email Outlook 'freezes' for 3-5 seconds before the email moves.

This is the list of things I have tried without resolving the problem:
  1. Clean boot of the PC
  2. Ran Outlook in safe mode
  3. No active application add-ins in Outlook
  4. Disabled and even uninstalled anti-virus software
  5. Repaired Office 2010
  6. Archived emails down to a PST file of 200MB
  7. Created a new Outlook profile
  8. Set up a new Outlook data file
  9. Copied emails via Export and Import to the new data file
  10. Archived and compacted the .pst file
  11. Ran SCANPST several times until no further errors detected
  12. Currently I have 453 folders with no more than a few hundred emails in the largest folder
During extensive troubleshooting, I have observed:
  • If I drag-and-drop an email to a folder, Outlook 'freezes' for 3-5 seconds before the email moves, but dragging a second email to the same folder is instantaneous

• If I drag-and-drop an email to an empty folder, the move is instantaneous

• If I drag-and-drop an email to a folder with only a few emails in it, the move is almost instantaneous
I would be very grateful for your help.

Regards
useful43

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Currently I have 453 folders with no more than a few hundred emails in the largest folder
This is most likely the problem. Outlook is slow as it 'finds' the folder - then when it needs it again, it knows where to look, so its faster. While outlook can have an unlimited # of folders, as you approach 500, it can affect performance.