Outlook 2013 Send problem - 'Not Responding' forever

Ian Thomas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
I have had this problem only since changing the setting for exchange caching to OFF, after finding that in the past week or so it had been (unknown to me) set ON, to 12 months only.
When attempting to reply to an email, send an email - even a text-only short one to myself, there is an unending (10minutes or more) Not Responding with popup almost blank window display of the intended email (ie, can see everything from the Subject line up, none of my message text)
So, I close Outlook, and even restart Windows 10.

Returning to Outlook, I have done the Repair on both accounts (Hotmail.com, Outlook.com) within my desktop Outlook 2013.

Should I turn the exchange caching back on, or does this problem have a different cause?

Ian Thomas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Ad
Capture.PNG
ded an image of part of the 'blank' email that will not send

Ian Thomas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
More info:
1. changed the offline settings / Cached Exchange Mode to OFF (ie, to have all emails available at my desktop)
2. checked the Office 365 Service status website Office 365 Service Status and all OK
3. changed the default account to send email, from the outlook.com account to the Hotmail.com account; I have the same problem, cannot send an email without a very long period (up to 40 minutes wait before opting to kill outlook and restart)

Ian Thomas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Latest:
deleted the SRS file, restarted Outlook - same problem.

I will repeat this, but restart Windows 10 before restarting Outlook 2013 (not hopeful of a remedy, however).

Ian Thomas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Safe mode: still Not Responding with a very simple email to self; had to kill Outlook again.
Will delete the SRS file again, but I am out of ideas at this stage.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
changing the setting for exchange caching to OFF,
Using exchange in online mode can behave like this as it needs to sync a lot more. If there is a lot of network traffic or a slow internet, outlook will be slow.

set ON, to 12 months only.
If the sync slide was set to 12 months, raise it to all and restart outlook - leave it in cached mode. The only reason not to use cached mode is if a utility doesn't work in cached mode (i cant think of any offhand, but their might be some) and if you are on a public computer (shouldn't use outlook in that situation, use outlook on the web)

Ian Thomas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Using exchange in online mode can behave like this as it needs to sync a lot more. If there is a lot of network traffic or a slow internet, outlook will be slow.

If the sync slide was set to 12 months, raise it to all and restart outlook - leave it in cached mode. The only reason not to use cached mode is if a utility doesn't work in cached mode (i cant think of any offhand, but their might be some) and if you are on a public computer (shouldn't use outlook in that situation, use outlook on the web)
OK, I have set both accounts back to Cached Mode, slider at All. This will show all my past emails?
A test email now works OK.
Not sure how I get back the Addins, but that's a minor problem now that I can actually send an email from desktop Outlook.

Thanks, again.

Last edited:

Ian Thomas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
No, I am not in safe mode.
When trying everything but the fix you indicated, I was unsure what unchecking vs Remove button actually meant and used REMOVE
- all the Microsoft online info I read, and am reading now, lead me to believe that these were mainly default Microsoft Add-ins and should not have been uninstalled..

These are the ones that were present -

Outlook COM AddIns before DISABLING ALL.PNG

I have a current PDF-XChange license and have contacted Tracker Software, but all the others are Microsoft.

Looking in Program Files, none of the DLLs in the x86 folder (I am using 32-bit Outlook 2013) will attach -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\ADDINS\

A Repair is probably what I am after.

Ian Thomas

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
All fixed - Install >> Repair did the trick, nothing lost. Similarly, the PDF-XChange Install >> Change >> Repair fixed the Outlook Preview within Outlook.
So, I caused myself problems from start to finish but all back to as it was, and I have learnt something about Exchange caching.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I was unsure what unchecking vs Remove button actually meant and used REMOVE
uncheck is stop using, remove is deregister. Remove is fine if you will never, ever need to the addin - getting them back can be a pita, depending on the addin. if you don't have exchange, the only 2 you should keep is the exchange addin (it also handles meeting processing in the calendar) and Visual basic - skype & sharepoint won't be of use, social connector is questionable, onenote only used if you use onenote.