I'm Having problems Moving Contacts to a New List

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpooley

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
HI all. I am new to outlook and am having a few problems.

I created a second contact list and the only way I could find to copy contacts from the 1st list to the other was by Drag and drop. "Copy"
This seemed to work but Outlook got confused somehow and when I went to send an email by clicking on 'To' the second list seemed to have some items twice and was missing some I'd added.
I checked the contacts list again but they were ok?

So I thought maybe a restart would do the trick. Unfortunately It just made it worse as loads of other contacts seemed to have moved to the new list?

What I want to have is a shorter list of regular contacts to choose from when I click 'To'

I don't know what to do now as the drag and drop doesn't work any more for some reason so I can't put the contacts back where they came from and the only option seems to be to delete the second list and start again but I am worried that this would delete those contacts as well

Thanks

Mike

I created a second contact list and the only way I could find to copy contacts from the 1st list to the other was by Drag and drop. "Copy"
This seemed to work but Outlook got confused somehow and when I went to send an email by clicking on 'To' the second list seemed to have some items twice and was missing some I'd added.
Dragging is the correct way to do it, although we usually recommend move, to avoid duplicates - as it makes it harder to update contact details since they are two separate contacts, not linked.

on the missing contacts... outlook only shows contacts in the Address book if they have an electronic address - this can be fax or email - and if they have 2 or more electronic addresses, outlook will display each one on a separate line.

Unfortunately It just made it worse as loads of other contacts seemed to have moved to the new list?
I'm guessing you moved, not copied. :(

I don't know what to do now as the drag and drop doesn't work any more for some reason so I can't put the contacts back where they came from and the only option seems to be to delete the second list and start again but I am worried that this would delete those contacts as well

Do you get any error messages? Does it work if you restart Outlook?

Thanks for your reply.
I copied over to the new list as it only worked on right click and drag and then the 'Move' was disabled so that I could only do a copy.

The others that mysteriously moved to the new list after a restart were definitely not moved by me..
I have restarted again and still can not drag. The drag icon is a circle with a slash.

I'll try to reboot the PC to see if that makes a difference.

Mike

Hmm. something is not right. you're moving them into a new contacts folder, right? It almost sounds like you are trying to move them into the same folder they are currently in.

Well I'm not really sure how this works. Perhaps I have not understood this properly.
What I did was... in the contacts view I created a new contact group.
This was added at the bottom of the list and I dragged the contacts down to the bottom.
So when I go to Contacts-List I see the original list and the new list on the same page.

Should I have done it another way?

thanks

I'm not quite sure what you did or if you did it "wrong" :)

I thought you did this - created another contacts folder and moved contacts into it. (I'm showing them in the Folder list navigation pane here because my contacts pane is cluttered and messy)
contacts folders.png

But now I'm not sure...

in the contacts view I created a new contact group
By right clicking on My Contacts and choosing New folder group? Or did you click the New Contact Group button?
folder-group.png

The new folder groups are just used to sort/group contact folders. I have a ton of contact folders (thanks in part to several Exchange mailboxes) and use folder groups to 'hide' the folders i don't use.

New Contact Group creates what used to be called a distribution list. You add contacts to a group to make it easier to send to them - for example, you are on a bowling team and create a group for the team, so instead of entering each team members name in the to field, you select the group and it gets sent to everyone.
test-group.png

Ah! I see.:oops:
I just created a distribution list !
That's confusing.

So I just created a new contacts folder and so far that seems to be working OK.

Thanks very much for your help.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.