• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Outlook 2016 CSV Translator Import Error

tmc

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
While trying to import a .csv contact list into an outlook contact folder, I receive the following error message:

outlook error.PNG

I have already reviewed the online Microsoft help files, no joy. The .csv is in the correct format, was created with Excel, is not in use by another application and I have all the applicable permissions. I am scratching my head as to where the problem might be. I have also gone to another system and have attempted the import from there, same error message. Has there been a significant change to file mapping?

I am stumped! Any help would be greatly appreciated. - Terri

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Try this from an old article I recently deleted as obsolete. Might need to restore it.. :)

>>>
This is the result of the exported file's Unicode encoding. When the CSV is opened in Excel, all of the comma-separated fields are shown in one cell, not one cell per field. Excel can’t detect the field separators and neither can Outlook.

If you open the file in Excel to look at it, close it without saving.

Solution: Save the CSV with ANSI format selected. Open the CSV file in Notepad and use File, Save as then select ANSI from the Encoding dropdown and Save using the existing file name.
>>>

tmc

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Try this from an old article I recently deleted as obsolete. Might need to restore it.. :)

>>>
This is the result of the exported file's Unicode encoding. When the CSV is opened in Excel, all of the comma-separated fields are shown in one cell, not one cell per field. Excel can’t detect the field separators and neither can Outlook.

If you open the file in Excel to look at it, close it without saving.

Solution: Save the CSV with ANSI format selected. Open the CSV file in Notepad and use File, Save as then select ANSI from the Encoding dropdown and Save using the existing file name.
>>>
I reviewed and tried this as well, before posting :). This does not appear to be the issue. I am absolutely clueless at this point.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Can you either upload it here as an attachment or email it to me at Diane at slipstick? I’ll take a look at it.

stgmike

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I am having the exact same issue. Attached is my CSV file. It came from the new Google Contacts, exported as Outlook CSV file, as opposed to Google CSV file. Same error and same prob as TMC. Help!!!

I have tried on Win 10, OL 2016 (64-bit) and Mac Outlook 2016.

It open as many columns in excel, but saving is bak as a CSV in Excel did not help.

Saving in Notepad as ANSI encoding did not help!

What is the next step?
How will I know when this thread is updated?

stgmike 07-11-2019

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You should get an email when there is a reply. I'm going to remove the attachment since it appears to have your valid contacts in it. I have a copy for testing with here.