Outlook and the Windows 10 notification center

Status
Not open for further replies.

rseiler

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Something has changed this year between Outlook 2016 (C2R builds only, probably) and the way notifications accrue in the notification center down on the lower-right part of the screen (not to be confused with "toast," which is working as expected).

It seems that Outlook messages stack up in notification center now until you go into the notification center to clear them. Acting upon these messages in Outlook no longer removes them from the notification center, as had always been the case before. Instead, the notification center count increments (it seems to go up to 21 and then stops, for some reason, but that's a side issue), and the latest batch of mail is always visible in notification center until cleared.

I know this happens with Win10 1709 + Monthly 1802 (Build 9029.2167), but it also happens with Insider versions of each. I believe it began even before 9029.2167.

Is it a design change or a bug? If it's a design change, what is the value in it? I've had weeks to think about this, and I still can't come up with a single reason why this would be a deliberate change. It's extremely annoying, since Outlook is essentially monopolizing the notification center--noticing worthwhile notifications is more difficult, since there's always a count down there.

Thanks

I believe it’s a bug. I thought mine cleared when I opened from there, but I will pay more attention to it. I don’t know which side gets the blame, but if you are an office insider, you can use the file, support link to report it to office.

Yes, I have to think it's a bug, too. It does continue with the latest versions of both things.

I did learn that the 21 (or thereabouts) count is actually normal and by design for the total number of notifications (of any kind) accruing, but I don't really care about that and it's really a whole different subject. However, in a way it argues more for the way Outlook uses notification center now being a bug, since for many people, the notification center will be on 21 by 10AM, which really serves to diminish its usefulness (you'll never notice real notifications that are drowned out by what Outlook's doing).

I never noticed it, but yeah - it looks like 21 is the max. I have 3 showing and a link for 18 more.

Outlook support wrote back: "We have received similar reports of this issue which is being investigated by our Windows team. To help with the investigation, please report this issue using the Windows Feedback Hub."

So...an issue that appears in 16299 as well (as opposed to just in the ever-shifting sands of Windows Insider) is not Outlook's doing?! Interesting, and certainly possible, but it seems unlikely to me that changes in both 16299 and RS4 were made a few months ago to create this situation. It's more logical that Outlook changed. What do you think?

So...an issue that appears in 16299 as well (as opposed to just in the ever-shifting sands of Windows Insider) is not Outlook's doing?!
An example of windows breaking (and later fixing) an outlook feature - the people pane search results. The fall update broke it, it's fixed in the upcoming spring update. the Emails are not shown in the People Pane (Fixed)

OK, but in this case, it broke in multiple versions of Windows at the same time (or really close): 1709 and 1803 (the latter still being in test). That's pretty weird, since they're on separate tracks. This does get weirder though.

In the Feedback Hub, I found someone reporting this about Outlook 2013 over a year ago! We know for sure that it hasn't been happening in Outlook 2016 for more than a few months. There are also at least two recent reports about it relative to Outlook 2016, so MS's request above has already been fulfilled.

Start menu: Settings/System/Notifications

Scroll down to Outlook, then click on that word. What's highlighted below can be toggled off to restore the old behavior.

Mystery: When this feature started acting differently several months ago, did MS simply silently change that setting to On? Or is this a way to compensate for something else they did?

fc19c1d2-f52d-442e-a498-d4655be6a67f.jpg

Mystery: When this feature started acting differently several months ago, did MS simply silently change that setting to On? Or is this a way to compensate for something else they did?
I'm guessing they changed it to on as a default setting... but let me check one of my vms. Hmm... the VM i use the most for testing has it on, but its possible i turned it on to test something. Second VM that is running is using the new 'Centennial' build (from the windows store) but outlook isn't listed in the notification center. Will boot some more to check...

Status
Not open for further replies.