Outlook 2016: Changing default font for Notes and Reading Pane

Markon

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I would like to change the default font for an item's Notes - 1) for the Reading Pane's display of the item's Notes - and 2) from within each Contact, Task, Journal, and Appointment, when you open the item to view it.

I see that the Reading Pane offers a zoom feature. But it doesn't stick when I change it. Is there a way to change the default zoom from 100% to say 120%? Or a way to set the default font for the Reading Pane directly?

For Notes within individual Tasks, Contacts, etc, I was able to set the default paragraph settings by selecting the text in the Notes, right-clicking and selecting Paragraph. From there is an option to Set as Default. That actually did stick for future notes. But if I right-click and select Font, there is no option to Set as Default. I also tried: Format Text > Change Styles > Set as Default. That didn't stick though for future notes.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Markon

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I see that the Reading Pane offers a zoom feature. But it doesn't stick when I change it. Is there a way to change the default zoom from 100% to say 120%? Or a way to set the default font for the Reading Pane directly?
No... but at least for mail, if you set a zoom level when composing, it will stick. There is macro that will set the zoom for reading email. I have not tested it with other items. Will need to see if we can make it work with them...
Adjusting Outlook's Zoom Setting in Email

But if I right-click and select Font, there is no option to Set as Default
It should use the +Body format that is used for mail.

Markon

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
It should use the +Body format that is used for mail.
Thanks Diane. Changing the fonts under Stationary and Fonts did seem to work across the board - for Tasks, Appointments, Contacts, and Journals. For any new items I enter, the Notes are now shown in the form display in the new font. That font now also carries over to the Reading Panel now. So I'm happy. Of course, items previously entered still use the old font. So I have to decide if it's worth going through and changing them all. Actually it is for me, since I'm just getting up and running with Outlook 2016.

The only place where the new font isn't showing up in Notes is with the two custom contact forms I created earlier. I will try re-creating those forms and see what happens.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
the forms will need to be updated to use the new font settings but if you use the same form and increment the version number, existing items using the form *might* be updated to use the new font.

i have this macro that can change the format - Changing the font in Outlook's Notes field - i believe it will select the existing bodies when you open the items and make the change. Save and close and move on to the next one. (It's been awhile since i used it, hopefully I'm reading it correctly. :)) The same method could be used to open, change, and save items in bulk.

Markon

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Thanks Diane. I ended up just re-importing my contacts. (That is all I had entered in Outlook up until now.) They took on the default font, but not the paragraph spacing for some reason. So for the contacts with Notes, I went through and set the paragraph. There weren't that many though.