Its been years since i've used outlook and now were up to 2016!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWM030

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hello kind folks,

It has been years since I've used Outlook..... I believe the last version i used was 2010. So, that tells you how long its been.

I am just wondering since its been years, should I use POP3 or IMAP? I was using thunderbird and ugh.... I'll leave it at that...

I am just trying to figure out is there any special settings I need to set on this fresh install of OL 2016?
OL set my account up immediately as IMAP... Which, in realness, i've been a pop user for YEAAARS.

So the million dollar question is.......... How do I get my emails ( and theres about 4 years worth ) over to OL?

Should I use IMAP or stick to pop? Have all the huge .pst bug's been squashed for large ,pst files? ( That's my biggest fear)
I don't think i've ever had that happen to me.. Thank god and knock on wood!

Thanks
Chris

I am just trying to figure out is there any special settings I need to set on this fresh install of OL 2016?
OL set my account up immediately as IMAP... Which, in realness, i've been a pop user for YEAAARS.
If you prefer POP, you can use it but you need to set the account up manually. Outlook chooses IMAP automatically if the server supports it because its better if you use multiple computers or devices.

If you decide to switch back to pop, you'll need to remove the account from the profile and use the Add account wizard - under the address field is an advanced menu - expand it and tick the box for manual setup. There you can choose pop.

Have all the huge .pst bug's been squashed for large ,pst files?
Outlook can easily handle 10 - 20 GB data files (quite a few clients have ones in this range) - the default size is 50GB and while you can set a reg key to go larger, it's less stable and slower over 50 GB.

So the million dollar question is.......... How do I get my emails ( and theres about 4 years worth ) over to OL?
Where are they now? If they are in a pst, you just need to open the data file in Outlook. If they are in t-bird, you have two options- a conversion program to convert to Outlook. Or add the imap account to t-bird and move the mail back into t-bird and wait for it to sync back up. It will sync down to outlook using imap.
Utilities are here: Converting Outlook Messages and Calendars IMAP method is free but more time consuming, a utility isn't free but is generally faster.

The emails are unfortunately in TBIRD as a pop account.. I will just have to use the free imap method to move them over. :)

Thanks,
Chris

Make a copy of the t-bird database - then you can move the messages - the advantages of moving over copy is that you can see what hasn't been uploaded yet. Unless t-bird has an import option where it can import the mail from the pop account into the imap account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file location" Using Outlook 1
Cathy Rhone The properties of the message have been changed Using Outlook 1
C Your mailbox has been temporarily moved ... Using Outlook 2
W Receiving mail for account that has been deleted Using Outlook 2
W Looks like the folder below has been deleted: "iCloud\Calendar" Using Outlook 1
oliv- determine to which address an email has been sent Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
V Emails remain in Drafts folder even though they have been sent Using Outlook 4
I Check if sent email has been replied Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Diane Poremsky RMS Error: System clock has been tampered with Using Outlook 0
J "This item has been changed still want to delete it" message Using Outlook 3
B "The properties of the message…have been changed" error Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D How to forward each email x minutes after it arrives in inbox and hasn't been moved or deleted? Using Outlook 1
R Track Sent Emails that have not been Responded Using Outlook 1
C Need rule to alert when an email has not been replied to within 24 hours Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions Using Outlook 0
L An () has been inserted after the address in an address box; how do I remove them. Using Outlook 1
Rory Campion Not getting a warning when a shared calendar item has been updated by someone else Using Outlook 2
R Notification/alert when an email has been sat in inbox for a set period of time Using Outlook 1
K Different kind of issue related to creation of archive after one has been deleted Exchange Server Administration 1
TonyAppleby Has been working fine for a year... Using Outlook 4
E Outlook prompts to save attachments when no changes have been made. Using Outlook 0
icacream errors have been detected... outlook.pst Using Outlook 10
N Adding a note to a e-mail which has been marked as follow up Using Outlook 1
M connection to the microsoft exchange server has been lost. outlook 2007 Exchange Server Administration 0
C Outlook 2013 has been a disaster Using Outlook 8
A account hacked, need software to determine what emails have been sent Using Outlook 1
B Message catagories have been reset to purple Using Outlook 6
M The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file. Using Outlook 11
D Outlook Archiving sent emails which have been moved to inbox folders Using Outlook 1
A 5.7.1 Recipient not authorized, your IP has been found on a block list Using Outlook 1
L Outlook Meeting Response: determine when a meeting response has been edited Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2010 reloading messages that have already been loaded Using Outlook 3
G "Full Item has not been downloaded" message. HELP! Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
B Macros have been disabled error Message with Custom forms Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 17
G What does 'daily limit has been reached' mean in Outlook 2007? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
H Notifying users that an email has been handled.....? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J object that has been separated from its underlying RCW Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
M How do I find Calendar events that have been put off with Snooze? Using Outlook 2
D outlook.exe application error - breakpoint has been reached. fix? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T COM object that has been separated from its underlying RCW Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Exchange Sync period only (e.g. last years mail) Using Outlook 0
V 10 Years calenders -single date together Exchange Server Administration 8
F MAPI, User Defined Fields and perspective after 20 years Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Birthday reminders now ending after 10 years?? Using Outlook 4
makinmyway How Create a Field and Formula for a Contact's Years of Experience Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
D BCM is 20 years behind times BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
B Outlook 2016 Retail C2R keeps logging since update? Using Outlook 0
F outlook.com Exchane Server corrupts data Since September 2019 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
E Accessing shared outlook folder doesn't work since switch to new outlook/excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
B Headache with Hotmail and Outlook since migration Exchange Server Administration 10