• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Archiving ON the imap server

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have a question....

Is there a way to set an imap folder in OL 2016 to where when you click ARCHIVE, the email goes to that imap folder?

I googled how to do this and the only options I got was to set up a NEW PST file, but that would move the emails OFF the server. Thats not what im wanting.
I have 50 gigs of storage for my domain, so I don't think i'll run out of space for emails in this lifetime at least Lol.

Thanks,
Chris

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
This archive button? It moves mail to a folder in the current data file. I don't know if you can select which folder any more (used to, but a recent build uses one called Archive). I'll have to try it with a new profile - I set it up a long time ago in my Gmail account.

This feature was added to give users a 1 button way to file mail as they read it - a lot of people used the Delete key to file mail (it's a really bad idea to use a trash can for file storage - it might get emptied :)).
Using Outlook 2016's Archive feature

archive.png

The AutoArchive feature (and the one now called Clean Up) move old mail to a pst file.

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
This archive button? It moves mail to a folder in the current data file. I don't know if you can select which folder any more (used to, but a recent build uses one called Archive). I'll have to try it with a new profile - I set it up a long time ago in my Gmail account.

This feature was added to give users a 1 button way to file mail as they read it - a lot of people used the Delete key to file mail (it's a really bad idea to use a trash can for file storage - it might get emptied :)).
Using Outlook 2016's Archive feature

LOL, I agree using the trash can as an archive box is pretty bad....

AH HA! OL does let you pick where you want to archive your email

I went to FILE
TOOLS
SET ARCHIVE FOLDER

And then this came up and I selected the folder I wanted to use!
The whole using backspace to archive emails is pretty neat!
2018-03-18 (8).png

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Cool - it still lets you choose (at least for non-exchange accounts). You can only choose one folder - if you need to move to more than one folder, use quick steps.