Can't the Deleted Items Folder be self cleaning ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icacream

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
hello,
in outlook 2007 I had set the deleted items folder to be cleaned each time I closed the program
that was fine
I could not find a way to do this in outlook 2016 so I tried to have mails not stay over one day in that folder :

recycle.jpg

but this just does not work : today is March 26th and I still have mails from march 23rd in the deleted items folder :rolleyes:

when I delete a mail, I just want it to disappear !
am I asking for the impossible, or am I just not doing the proper thing ?
thanks for your help !

It uses the date that you deleted the message (moved it to that folder), not the date it was sent.

File, Options, Advanced - right at the top should be the option to empty deleted on close. FWIW, its not my favorite setting as it can slow outlook down, especially if you are closing outlook to reboot - and it gives you no recovery time** if you accidently delete a message.
delete-close.png

The other option is to use Shift+Delete to bypass deleted items - but that also gives you no option to recover**.

[**] the exception is for exchange accounts - they offer deleted items recovery.

Thank you Diane !
FYI the messages in my deleted items folder items have been deleted on the day they were received.... so they should not have still been in there...
but the setting you gave me is perfect - wish I could do away with the warning "are you sure you want to delete all the items in you deleted items folders for all accounts" though - I guess this is what you mean about slowing down closing outlook... but still quicker than clearing all recycle folders individually :cool:
gmail keeps copies of my mails, should I ever delete one by accident (such an unlikely event !!! ;))

thanks, have a great day !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Kika Melo Outlook Calendar deleted appointments not in Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 3
G Retention Policy for Outlook.com Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 0
F Move mails from Deleted Items folder back to its original folder where the mails got deleted Using Outlook 0
Jeanne Goodman Delete Calendar Item Bypassing Deleted Items folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Jessica .msg file saved in network drive appearing in Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 3
K Deleted calendar and contact items not going to delete folder Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2013 Deleted calendar and contact items not going to delete folder Exchange Server Administration 1
Diane Poremsky Shared Mailboxes and the Deleted Items Folder Using Outlook 0
A Creating a rule on “Deleted items” folder Using Outlook 1
N Messages still in 'Deleted items' folder even after deleting! Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2013: How did "Inbox" emails jump straight to the "Recover Deleted Items" Folder? Using Outlook 2
A Prompt on exit to empty deleted items folder "for all accounts" does not work? Using Outlook 6
L Recover Deleted Items Folder shows email which are not really deleted. Using Outlook 0
V Unable to delete from deleted items folder due to error message Using Outlook 3
C Outlook/Exchange 2010 Recover Deleted Items to original folder Using Outlook 2
P deleted items keep reappearing in my deleted folder Using Outlook 4
M Mail being delivered directly to deleted items folder.... Using Outlook 4
S Delete folder without moving to "deleted items" folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Empty Deleted items folder - Other users folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E How to access the Deleted Items Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
E How to access the Deleted Items Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Can't change autoarchive property in Deleted Items folder BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
V How to delete mails in deleted items folder by vba? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Moving messages to "Deleted Items" folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Changing the Deleted Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 2
F Wishlist Outlook suddenly began synchronizing deleted items every time I delete a single email. Using Outlook 2
T How can you include Junk Email in Search Results like you can include Deleted Items? Using Outlook 3
D Unopened message in inbox deleted and not in deleted items Using Outlook 3
R Exporting recovered Deleted Items outside the Inbox Using Outlook 1
R Retention periods and Deleted Items Using Outlook 7
P Deleted Items - Unable to Iterate All of Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M How many days are items in Recover Deleted at Outlook.com ? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
C Outlook is permanently deleting deleted items (purging) Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Moving Deleted Items Using Outlook 0
P Deleting items in folders doesnt send them to deleted items! Using Outlook 4
Rupert Dragwater Some mailboxes show deleted items as not read Using Outlook 5
norbertlars Outlook - deleted items Using Outlook 5
Rupert Dragwater Deleting email from Deleted Items does not work Using Outlook 0
N Control ID for Outlook 2013 “Recover Deleted Items From Server” Using Outlook 0
S Can't move the items. The item could not be moved. It was either already moved or deleted, or access Using Outlook 3
M recover deleted items vba macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
I Event listener for deleted items Using Outlook 6
N Recovering deleted items Exchange Server Administration 0
D Outlook 2013 deletes emails, does not send them to Deleted Items or Trash Using Outlook 2
E The RECOVER DELETED ITEMS is grayed out and i can't recover my messages Using Outlook 1
D Deleted Items Using Outlook 5
I How do I completely delete contents of "deleted items" to reduce pst file size Using Outlook 1
C Tracking WHO deleted items in a Shared Mailbox Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2007 - Recover Deleted Items - Columns to Choose from Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 Changed "Recover Deleted Items" Behavior Using Outlook 11