Import csv problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

avant-guvnor

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I am running Outlook 2016 16.0.9126.2152 32 bit on a Window 10 Pro 64-bit version 1709 (OS Build 16299.371) PC.

If I import into a calendar, the attached csv file (which contains 2 calendar events), the description field in the second event is not parsed correctly .

In the first event the description correctly shows as:
Notes line 01
Brazil, Switzerland, Costa and Serbia
Notes line 03

However the second event incorrectly shows as:
Notes line 01
Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica and Serbia Notes line 03

but I am expecting 3 lines, not 2 lines, as shown above. The end of line character (for the 2nd line) is converted to a space character in the second event. The only difference between the 2 description fields is the second event contains Costa Rica and not Costa. This is very bizarre.

Please can someone help/advise?

Please note: I had to change the file extension for the attachment, from csv to txt, to allow the forum software to allow the attachment.

Attachments

• WC 2018 Phase 03.txt
    510 bytes · Views: 605
When i looked at it in Notepad++ and showed the EOL characters, the additional lines had CRLF, not LF. copying the line with LF pasted it as CRLF.

But line length is also a factor -
Brazil, Switzerland, Costa 1 and Serbia worked as desired
Brazil, Switzerland, Costa 12 and Serbia failed/wrapped

if i add a blank line, it works as expected - with a blank line between Serbia and the text 'notes line 3'

notetab.png

When i converted the CRLF to LF in notepad++ , it failed to import:
"A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values translator while initializing a translator to build a field map." - but the software changed all CRLF to LF, not the lines i wanted changed.

When i used Alt+Enter to add line feeds with the field open in Excel, the second line imported correctly, but like the first line, when i added 'Rica" to the line, it failed/wrapped.

I went back to Excel and used the Alt+Enter line feeds and can confirm the EOL character is a linefeed (LF) and the end-of-record character is the Carriage Return+Linefeed combination (CR+LF):

NeEwciN.jpg

On import, the results are the same as my original post:

N86J7aa.jpg

I did report this issue to Microsoft before posting here, but sadly 1st tier support is not fit for purpose.

The technician said there was a problem with my Office 365 installation/Windows 10 PC. I explained that I had also imported the same csv on 2 other totally unrelated windows 10 PCs with the same results. The technician promptly left the support session, never to return.

I think its outlook's (stupid) remove line breaks feature. I added 2 spaces at the beginning of the next line and they didn't wrap. I recalled an issue with email and the line wraps - to prevent wrapping you needed to pad the line with extra spaces or... turn off the option to remove line breaks in File, options, Mail - its near the bottom.

I think its outlook's (stupid) remove line breaks feature. I added 2 spaces at the beginning of the next line and they didn't wrap. I recalled an issue with email and the line wraps - to prevent wrapping you needed to pad the line with extra spaces or... turn off the option to remove line breaks in File, options, Mail - its near the bottom.

You are correct. Even though I am importing Calendar events, the Mail option is affecting the import.

I went to Outlook Options >> Mail >> Message Format and un-ticked the Remove extra line breaks in plain text messages option and the import works as expected.

What is even more bizarre, is that if the option is ticked again after importing, this eventually causes the format of the description field to change again, to the unwanted formatting regardless of whether the calendar event is saved or not.

Thank you very much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.