• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is it possible to recover content from a 0KB PST file?

semnaitik

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Dear friends,

This is not my problem. One of my friends had a PST file. It was the main PST file, and the size was around 8-9 GB. It was yesterday when she checked the file. The size was 0KB. She has no idea what happened. We searched about this on Google and found a stupid article that made no sense. To the best of my understanding or knowledge, the file is gone now. However, I'm wondering if something can be done to recover anything from the file. Is it really possible that a 3rd party tool can restore anything from a 0KB PST file? Though I don't think so, I need a strong reason to prove myself right.

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
if it is 0kb, no, it cannot be recovered. It's weird though for this to happen to a pst file, but can if it is stored on a network drive or in a folder that syncs to the cloud. Neither is recommended or supported, but the cloud sync might have a backup copy that could be recovered.

This can also happen if someone tries to copy a pst while its open in Outlook - the copy will fail by a 0kb file is created. The original pst remains and should be unaffected.

The only other time i've seen this is when a pst was written to a CD and moving it back to the hard drive fails because the cd is corrupt .

semnaitik

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Thanks. So I was right. There's no way to restore anything from it.

By the way, I knew I can get the right answer here only. And you don't believe, I was actually expecting you as the first or maybe the only person who would reply to this question. I've heard a lot about you. You're always there to help others. You're great person. Oh it's true, it's damn true.