Two main Outlook gripes: Voting buttons not working externally nor Focused Inbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hello all (which will mean hello Diane!! :) )

I realise I could create TWO threads for this but I am a little lazy :)

So... I JUST left my previous company and wanted to set up a BBQ with voting buttons from my private Exchange server. I set up the voting buttons as normal and sent the mail, but everyone told me the voting buttons never appeared. As a test I noticed the buttons didn't appear for private GMail users. I guess that is normal too?

So question one: do voting buttons not work across domains? I.e. they are for internal use only? I am pretty sure in the past that I COULD do this!! (As a small aside the reason I was using voting buttons was because my meeting request was being refused too. It just never appeared in the inbox of ANY invitees - also odd!)

Question two: I use the web version of Outlook and I love the Focused Inbox feature. This is supposed to be present on the Outlook client (currently using MS Office 365 ProPlus) but... it isn't! I hunted around and found this very confusing article:

Configure Focused Inbox for everyone in your organization

I attempted to follow the steps but it was to no avail. As an aside, again, my Exchange hoster recently upgraded me to Office365 ProPlus which is nice (well, they DID lose an entire server's worth of mail on their own systems! ouch), but it is also odd. I am like a one-man company now and I guess I SHOULD be the person doing the powershell remote server settings demanded in that article, but nothing was working - I just have a laptop at home, nothing more. I don't know if they are expecting all Exchange Admins to have set up some corporate setup for Exchange.

@Diane: any idea how to get the focused Inbox? I really really want it and don't understand why MS made it a damn remote setting requiring PowerShell instead of just an app setting inside Outlook. Pffff. Could the exchange config also be affecting the voting buttons thing too?

Would really appreciate some help here!!

Thanks,
Philip

PS Diane, you must be omnipresent, no matter which website I look up, there you are answering everyone's questions - lol - I hope MS are paying you something for this! :)

PPS seems you can choose one S or two in the word "focused" - interesting! :)

So... I JUST left my previous company and wanted to set up a BBQ with voting buttons from my private Exchange server. I set up the voting buttons as normal and sent the mail, but everyone told me the voting buttons never appeared. As a test I noticed the buttons didn't appear for private GMail users. I guess that is normal too?
Normal. They require TNEF / RTF formatting, which is not supported in other mail clients. Outlook users would see them if the message format was RTF, but Outlook will generally drop to HTML for internet addresses. Plus the exchange server can make the conversion, if outlook doesn't.

See Using Voting Buttons in Email

So question one: do voting buttons not work across domains? I.e. they are for internal use only? I am pretty sure in the past that I COULD do this!! (As a small aside the reason I was using voting buttons was because my meeting request was being refused too. It just never appeared in the inbox of ANY invitees - also odd!)
They are best for internal mail, but done right, they will work with some external addresses - but only in Outlook.

Question two: I use the web version of Outlook and I love the Focused Inbox feature. This is supposed to be present on the Outlook client (currently using MS Office 365 ProPlus) but... it isn't! I hunted around and found this very confusing article:
You need a specific version of office (or newer) and Office 365 Exchange. It might work with on-prem exchange, but would need to be a current version/CU level. It will not work with pop and imap - not sure if it will ever be added to those accounts type (its a server side process that does the sorting).

PS Diane, you must be omnipresent, no matter which website I look up, there you are answering everyone's questions - lol - I hope MS are paying you something for this! :)
I wish... I get more from google adsense. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.