• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Why do i get so many drafts?

Len Raphael

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
with local Outlook client for Office 365, seems that it creates drafts every time I switch to another area of Outlook. That's fine, but after i finalize the draft and send it, there are often at least one partial drafts remaining. Then I have to check that i really sent the completed email.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Are you using an IMAP account? This is fairly common with some IMAP servers - outlook loses track for the message id. It shouldn't happen with Office 365/Outlook.com mailboxes, unless you edit the message on two computers. I've seen that cause a draft copy to stick around.

Len Raphael

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
My profile has two Office 365 accounts and one Gmail IMAP account, which I rarely use. Notice this happening only on the two Office accounts. Could be related to my unintentional closing of Outlook, but I think it happens much more often than that.

Is there a way to turn off the automatic draft creation?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'm surprised Exchange is creating so many duplicates. You can turn off drafts or lengthen the amount of time between saves. It's in File, Options, Mail - in the Save Messages section about halfway down.