• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Import Categories from Outlook 2003

phrab

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Is there a way to import all my master categories from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2016, rather than copying them one by one?
Thank you in advance?

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I have a macro but i don't know if it works in 2003 - if you have a pst file, you could open it in outlook 2016 and use the macro on it to create a master list.

You can use the upgrade to color category option to add the categories to the master list - the colors may need fixed as outlook assigned the colors in order. In 2016, this seems to run only on the calendar though.

Use Upgrade to Color Categories to add Categories to the Master List

Michael Bauer

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Since the Upgrade to Color Categories option can only find categories assigned to items in the pst file it maybe doesn´t restore all the master category list.

Category-Manager can import the all the categories from the Registry . Open the registry editor, and navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/11.0/Outlook/Categories

Then click File/Export to export the list to a *.reg file. In Category-Manager click Manage Categories/Tools/Categorie/Import, and import the *.reg file.

phrab

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Since the Upgrade to Color Categories option can only find categories assigned to items in the pst file it maybe doesn´t restore all the master category list.

Category-Manager can import the all the categories from the Registry . Open the registry editor, and navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/11.0/Outlook/Categories

Then click File/Export to export the list to a *.reg file. In Category-Manager click Manage Categories/Tools/Categorie/Import, and import the *.reg file.
Thanks, Michael. Tried to shortcut the process. I exported my Categories from WinXP & merged them in my Windows 10 registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Categories [Note: had to change / to \]. But that didn't work. I wonder if there's a way to add a key to Outlook 2016 in the registry.

However, I will also contact VBOffice to find out the difference between Enterprise & Professional, as this is for only 1 machine & their free download is for Enterprise. Do you know of any free way to add all the master categories? Thanks again.

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Thanks, Michael. Tried to shortcut the process. I exported my Categories from WinXP & merged them in my Windows 10 registry at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Categories [Note: had to change / to \]. But that didn't work. I wonder if there's a way to add a key to Outlook 2016 in the registry.
I think you need to let category manager import the registry. (But I could be wrong) And no, there is no way to add the key to outlook 2016 - Outlook doesn't use the registry anymore.

Michael Bauer

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Phil, I`m myself behind VBOffice. If you only need to sync the master category list (mcl) once, you can use the mentioned addin, which is free for 30 days.
The described process of importing the *.reg file is limited to only 10 categories during the free trial period; a limitation that was added to the very first version about 10 years ago, which I never removed. However, you can use the sync feature of the Enterprise version to import all categories, this feature isn´t limited. For configuring the addin to sync the mcl between your two computers, see the documentation of the Addin starting at page 25.

phrab

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I think you need to let category manager import the registry. (But I could be wrong) And no, there is no way to add the key to outlook 2016 - Outlook doesn't use the registry anymore.
Thank you, Diane. I will try Michael's add on.

phrab

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Phil, I`m myself behind VBOffice. If you only need to sync the master category list (mcl) once, you can use the mentioned addin, which is free for 30 days.
The described process of importing the *.reg file is limited to only 10 categories during the free trial period; a limitation that was added to the very first version about 10 years ago, which I never removed. However, you can use the sync feature of the Enterprise version to import all categories, this feature isn´t limited. For configuring the addin to sync the mcl between your two computers, see the documentation of the Addin starting at page 25.
Thanks, Michael. I intend to try Category Manager. I'm going to be out of town for 2 weeks & so I'll try it as soon as I get back.