Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

OS Version(s)
  1. Windows
Outlook version
Outlook 365 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I'm running Outlook 2013 with one IMAP OST file and four PST files. Calendar, Contacts, and Notes default locations is one of the PST files.

Every time I run SCANPST (on four different PST files) I get messages that that there are errors in the file. I sometimes need to run SCANPST several times before the PST file has no errors. Then as soon as I run Outlook and then SCANPST I get messages about errors. Frustrating. However, I rarely have problems where it is necessary to restart Outlook.

• Is this situation normal?
  • Is there a one-time solution to this problem?
  • Would a more powerful repair utility fix this problem? Which one? (I'm self-employed, so I don't have an employer to spend big bucks on this problem.)
Thanks for any help and advice.

Phil Burton

it is normal for it to find errors and normal for it to take 3 passes to fix all. In most cases, there shouldn't be enough errors to fix every time you run it - in fact, its not recommended to use it just for the sake of using it or in an attempt to ward off problems in the future. That can cause more problems.

Do you have an antivirus scanner scanning the data file? That can cause corruption as can any utility that accesses outlook data.

FWIW, its not recommended to use scanpst on ost files, only pst files. If the ost is corrupt, delete it. (If its an imap ost, you need to make sure you have the calendar and contact 'this computer only' folders backed up before deleting the ost and resyncing.)

Diane,

Thank you for letting me know that it's normal for scanpst to find errors. I know this question may be slightly off-topic, but if Outlook is the only program that operates on PST files, why can't Microsoft get rid of the bugs that cause these errors? I'm sure that PST files are very complex databases, with lots of tables, but the PST file format is over 20 years old now. The fact that normal Outlook operation normally causes PST errors seems "wrong."

My AV scans all files by default. Recently someone posted in a photography forum that I could safely exclude NEF RAW files produced by my Nikon camera. (I never get NEF files from anyone else by email and I never download NEF files.) It didn't occur to me at the time that there were other "special" categories that could also safely be excluded.

I have never (or not in a long time) run scanpst against OST files. I seem to recall that at one time there actually was a scanOST program.

Phil Burton

he fact that normal Outlook operation normally causes PST errors seems "wrong."
it happens because outlook is constantly reading/writing to it and also because 3rd party programs are also accessing it. It fixes many programs on its own.

Honestly, I dont expect changes to the file structure - they are more likely to introduce more bugs and make the pst so its not backwards compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Outlook 2021 ScanPST errors (yet again ... sorry): repair button missing Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 5
J SCANPST errors Outlook PST repair? Using Outlook 1
pcunite Outlook 2019/O365 Build 13127.20408 errors when using MAPI calls Using Outlook 1
B Server errors Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
A ScanPST finding errors but no Repair button Using Outlook 2
Y IMAP errors with Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
M Charter ISP Claims Outlook Generating STMP Errors of Too Many Recipients Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky BCM Errors after Upgrading to Windows 10 Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Common Outlook Outgoing Server (SMTP) Errors Using Outlook 0
M attachments & time-out errors Using Outlook 4
L Issues with Outlook - errors detected in file Using Outlook 1
P 2013 AOL IMAP Sync Errors Using Outlook 5
E Multiple, intermittent Outlook 2010 errors Using Outlook 12
icacream errors have been detected... outlook.pst Using Outlook 10
J No errors from BCM 2007 but can't see database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
M The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file. Using Outlook 11
A PDF Attachement Errors with Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
D VBA Macro Works in 2007 but errors in 2010 Using Outlook 2
J OL2003 Public Folder Sync Errors w/ Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 11
V What is wrong with Outlook Connector - it still errors out on an EMPTY Hotmail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
M Outllook 2000 - 2 Errors - The Information Service / The Messaging Interface Using Outlook 7
P IMAP errors with AOL during sync Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B Import to Access errors out Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 20
T field mapping errors during import BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D BCM 2007 errors BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
L Out of memory errors and Auto-linking hangs BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
R Errors while adding new item to main menu Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C HANDLING ERRORS USING FIND Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J How to create a drop down user defined field that will appear on an inbox view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
Terry Sullivan Sender's Name Doesn't Appear in the From Field on Outlook 365/IMAP Using Outlook 2
T Increasing the number of items that appear on the Categories list Using Outlook 2
B All imported tasks appear in to-do list Using Outlook 3
T Render Outlook emails in MS access as they appear in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Checkboxes when selected will appear in a textbox in Outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R What's supposed to appear when just clicking into the search field? Using Outlook 7
T Some of my folders in outlook.com appear to have vanished, thanks to v1803 Using Outlook 11
M Multiple spurious empty folders appear in archive files Using Outlook 3
Carrie Dickey Outlook 2016 created two calendars titled Calendar1 - appear to be a copy Using Outlook 2
P How to make outlook display alert appear on top of other windows whenever a new email is received? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Outlook 2013 Calendar events not appear on Outlook.com Calendar Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
Mark Foley Time span on WebDAV published Calendars does not appear to be working Using Outlook 7
D Emails do not appear in Sent box! Using Outlook 4
L Should public contacts folder appear in "People" nav pane? Using Outlook 1
G How to let data in an account user defined field appear in the same field all related opportunities BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D how to get inbox messages to appear before deleted file messages? Using Outlook 6
A email folders appear empty, at first click Using Outlook 2
U Imported contacts to appear in Autocomplete Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2013 Mail Notifications appear for ALL emails--no good Using Outlook 1
J Reminders dismissed on one computer re-appear on Outlook on second computer Using Outlook 1
P Trying to get 'Calendar Name' to appear like 'Subject' and 'Location' in event Using Outlook 0