Carbonite not backing up .ost files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I went into Carbonite to download an old version of the .ost file for an IMAP account, and found out that Carbonite by default does not back them up.

Carbonite Support Knowledge Base
Carbonite Support Knowledge Base

I've right clicked on it and told Carbonite to back it up.
Is there a reason why Carbonite does not back it up?
Would emails be retrievable from an old version of the .ost file?

Thanks

Correct, they dont back up ost files because they are just offline sync folders - everything in the ost is also on the mail server. Well, everything except the contents of the 'this computer only' folders in an imap account...

plus restoring an old ost generally doesn't go well - and you can't open it except in the profile that created it.

restoring an old ost generally doesn't go well - and you can't open it except in the profile that created it.

I seem to remember reading, probably on one of your pages, that you cannot reuse IMAP data files. I assumed that meant you could not use it on a new computer.
But when you say opening it generally doesn't go well, does that mean you cannot even open it even to the degree of being able to copy some emails from it?
If you can't do that, then how do you backup an IMAP account to guard against someone realizing a month or so later that they deleted an email that they now need?
Thanks

My friend runs an insurance business and she is required to have dependable backups of all her emails, so this is an area of concern now.

But when you say opening it generally doesn't go well, does that mean you cannot even open it even to the degree of being able to copy some emails from it?
To open it, you need to replace the exiting ost with the backup copy. If outlook is connected to the internet, it will resync the mailbox. Since it can only be used by the profile that created it, you cant open it on another computer - you'd need to use ost to pst recovery utilities

If you can't do that, then how do you backup an IMAP account to guard against someone realizing a month or so later that they deleted an email that they now need?
I have clients that don't delete anything. :(

Options include:
Use POP3.
Archive mail to a pst (removes it from the imap server)
Use an email archiving service.
One client forwards everything to a gmail account to use as an archive.

OK thank you so much for the insight.
Gives me a lot think about for coming up with a plan.

Use an email archiving service.
Many of my clients who are under legal requirements to save everything use an archiving service targeted to their business. This includes some of my lawyer clients and all of the financial planners. I don't recall offhand what the insurance people do. Most of them moved to Office 365, which gives them better control over data preservation.

Thanks for the info.

Most of them moved to Office 365, which gives them better control over data preservation.

Would Office 365 and an IMAP account allow you to retain copies of deleted emails? Are there some special steps you take for data preservation?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K After Carbonite restore pst files are found in a weird location Using Outlook 2
N Backing Up Exchange Calendar Using Outlook 13
abnet Advice required re backing up .ost and .pst files Using Outlook 7
T Backing Up My .pst File Using Outlook 3
Fozzie Bear Backing up Exchange Emails Exchange Server Administration 2
N Backing Up Navigation Pane Customizations - WinXP Using Outlook 11
T Error 'Database msdb cannot be opened' when backing up BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
J Recover server side rules from OST/PST without access to the server Using Outlook 2
Z Outlook.com OST Stopped working without explanation Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
DoctorJellybean Use OST file location for fresh installation? Using Outlook 1
HarvMan Exporting IMAP OST file to PST Using Outlook 5
J Outlook 2019 i dont want to buy the snake oil ost to pst programs Using Outlook 1
GregS Outlook 2016 OST thinks it is PST? Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 365 Exchange .ost within Personal Vaul Using Outlook 0
L Restoring Outlook from backup of OST Using Outlook 5
K Outlook 2016 - controlling IMAP OST size with Group Policy not working Using Outlook 1
J How to open OST file in Outlook 2019 & 2016 Using Outlook 1
DoctorJellybean Preserve OST file location in new installation? Using Outlook 4
S Moving .OST file location unsuccessful! Using Outlook 6
S auto-mapping mailboxes in outlook impacting an ost file? Exchange Server Administration 2
B What is best IMAP .OST file to .PST file converter solutions? Using Outlook 1
O Using .OST and .PST mail thru different providers Using Outlook 5
I Convert POP3 account (PST) to IMAP (.OST) Using Outlook 3
E Outlook 2010 Can somebody tell me , the question associated with OST format Using Outlook 1
katehawkins Outlook 2013 Ost to pst conversion problem Using Outlook 1
BretAB Connected vs Connected Headers vs OST file. Exchange Server Administration 2
BretAB Connected vs Connected Headers vs OST file. Using Outlook 2
E How to transform .OST in .PST ? Using Outlook 1
R How To Repair OST File & Export OST File to Outlook PST ? Using Outlook 3
C OST email backup Exchange Server Administration 1
myPalabok not all emails are in OST Using Outlook 2
J Backup .OST - Custom Contact Forms, Defined Fields, Notes Using Outlook 1
T Compacting Outlook 2010 OST results in old emails being re-sent Using Outlook 6
I Outlook 2013 Any way to move .OST file to new system? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
C convert an .ost to .pst Using Outlook 3
R ost file import Using Outlook 2
Grimev66 problem with conversion ost to pst Using Outlook 2
GregS Very Confusing PST/OST message Using Outlook 2
A .ost file problem Using Outlook 4
allanbaird Outlook .ost is in use Using Outlook 4
J How to Fix “Encounter a large number of conflict items in Exchange OST file” Using Outlook 2
O Moving .ost file Using Outlook 12
J Converted .ost to .pst: Want to Import and Reconnect with IMAP Email Account Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Changing the default *.pst and *.ost sizes Using Outlook 0
GregS Import from Outlook.com .ost to IMAP .pst? Using Outlook 3
D The way to convert ost to pst Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2013 how to convert 2013 OST file into an another format, i m using outlook 2013 versions. Using Outlook 1
C Converting OST to PST File Using Outlook 3
B How to recover deleted MS Outlook OST file? Using Outlook 4