Outlook 2016 Deleting duplicate emails

TCwl

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I just upgraded from Office 2010 to Office 2016. When I activated Outlook, it started downloading email from the POP server. This was not a problem until I imported my 2010 PST into the new Outlook, I ended up with few thousand duplicate emails. What's the best way to delete those?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Yikes. You can use the last modified field - everything imported (or downloaded) should have the same last modified time. If you downloaded & imported at roughly the same time, this won't work as well. Unless you are in the habit of marking all mail as read - then unread with a recent modified time should work. If the old mail was moved into some folders and the new mail is all inbox, that will help too.

Should be able to use a search folder for this.

mod-fdate.png

TCwl

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Yikes. You can use the last modified field - everything imported (or downloaded) should have the same last modified time. If you downloaded & imported at roughly the same time, this won't work as well. Unless you are in the habit of marking all mail as read - then unread with a recent modified time should work. If the old mail was moved into some folders and the new mail is all inbox, that will help too.

Should be able to use a search folder for this.

View attachment 2457

Wow! This really worked! I'm a home user with no formal training in using Outlook. So, this was entering uncharted territory for me. This solution was by far the easiest and most direct fix of the problem. I had cast about on on other, mostly Microsoft, forums for a solution. Those required much more complicated procedures, creating new profiles, or renaming files or folders, or re-installing programs. In any case, they required sloshing a lot of data back and forth, which presents its own problems.
Thanks so much.