Same file "stuck" on top of file list in "Attach File" drop down

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJH 10

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I use Outlook 2016 on 3 desktops and 3 laptops. This problem only seems to occur on one of my desktop systems.

Normally, when I compose a mail message, and want to "Attach File" I click on the Insert tab and then "Attach File." This action causes a drop-down to appear with what seems to be a list of recently saved files (WORD, Excel, PDF, etc). This list seems to update over time such that the most recent file is on the top of the list. In fact, if I work on a file and then save the file, when I go to attach it to a mail message it most often shows up on the top of the list.

Over the last month on only one system, I have an Excel file that is "stuck" on the stop of this drop-down list. It is like the file is "pinned" in that position on the list.

I really want to get this "stuck" file off the list for several reasons including I'm no longer actively using this file.

I don't know if it is part of a Windows 10 recent file list; a separate list associated with Outlook, or something else. I thought it would clear over time but it does not seem to be fixing itself. I have done Google searching for an answer; but so far have come up empty.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Well, I have spent hours on this problem and I have solved it by mere accident. Turns out that the file "pinned" to the top of the Insert File drop down was a file that is stored in a OneDrive folder that has been shared to me. I'm not sure if that file was still "open" in another account which made it the "most recent" giving it top billing on this list; or there is some kind of sort order to files that are not part of my OneDrive account. I actually also own the other OneDrive account so I logged into that account, opened and closed the file with no changes. I then rebooted and went back to my original Outlook and viola! the "pinned file" was no longer there.

I am using many OneDrive folders that have been shared to me--that I do not own. I'm not sure I am aware of all the ins and outs of sharing these files with regards to attachments in other programs like Outlook.

Thanks for your help Diane.

Thanks for the update. I'm guessing there was something that caused it to look like it was always updated. AFAIK, onedrive files don't get top billing in the file list - they never do here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R Shortcut for attaching the same file repeatedly Using Outlook 6
M Can't open same msg file more than once at the same time in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
P Write a tool to generate a PST file with the same structure as old Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Outlook 2021 Having problem setting up outlook 2021 with windows 11. I have 3 gmail accounts and I want the 3 gmail, emails to merge into the same outlook input. Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
E Outlook - eliminate same adresses from to, and bc line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Same email address, same person, names in so many ways Using Outlook 4
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
M Outlook on 3 Computers Shows Different Total Items on Same Account Using Outlook 3
A Two Inboxes, Same Email? Using Outlook 3
R Disable conversation thread from replying of recipients in the same subject. Please help Using Outlook 0
jChambler iCloud folders in Outlook are not the same as on iCloud Using Outlook 6
glnz How set up new IMAP on Outlook-Office 365 and merge in pst from Outlook 2003 for same two email accounts? Using Outlook 5
X Unable to send an email from one account to another on same PC Using Outlook 2
P Desktop doesn't index Outlook IMAP files, laptop Outlook does index those same IMAP files Using Outlook 2
N Move emails of same conversation to same subfolder Using Outlook 6
S Received mail as part of DL, need to auto-CC the same when replying Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
I get count of all emails with same conversation ID Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M warning for too many appointments on a same day in Outlook Using Outlook 1
A saving attachement to folder named the same as rule name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Ensure the same inbox view across multiple outlook instances Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
L set task reminder date to same as start date (without affecting due date) Using Outlook 0
M Why delivery receipt size is same than sent email size or even larger? Using Outlook 1
C How to copy same text header to multiple emails with custom text column Using Outlook 10
D Calendar - color coded items are now the same color Using Outlook 2
K Outlook 2010 - Set the category based on category of other emails in same conversatio Using Outlook 20
B Mail on both laptop and mobile at same time Using Outlook 2
P Outlook Macro keeps running for the same messagage Using Outlook 2
L Delete code and commandbutton at the same time. Using Outlook 1
njs27 Start date of occurrence same as PatternStartDate Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
G How to let data in an account user defined field appear in the same field all related opportunities BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
L IMAP and POP email in same Outlook system Using Outlook 1
A Use same BCM data in 2 offices BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
A After receiving the same email 3 times, Outlook starts sending it to junk Using Outlook 1
K Help! I selected every contact and mistakenly made them all the same category Using Outlook 1
S Searching contacts across GAL and local address book at same time Using Outlook 1
D Move email to same folder as the rest of the conversation Using Outlook 1
J How to create fields that will use the same value on different record types BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
R View two Inboxfolders at the same time in split creen Using Outlook 1
J How to Reply or Forward a message and Archive it in same step? Using Outlook 0
D ActivitiesTab in OL2000 - same functionality in OL2013? Using Outlook 1
B Excel 2010 vba to post appts to different outlook calendars at the same time Using Outlook 6
J outlook problem it allow to book meeting room at the same day & time Using Outlook 0
Z Keep Unread Messages in same folder Using Outlook 2
D Multiple Users Updating Custom Form At Same Time Using Outlook 1
K Save a received email in a mailbox subfolder which is the same as the @email Using Outlook 1
Commodore Renamed folder staying at the same position Using Outlook 3
E "Current View" settings across multiple users on same Exchange 2007 account. Using Outlook 1
A In Contacts Phone List View, allow alpha jump w/single key, same as Card views Using Outlook 4
P Different names for the same email address Using Outlook 1
L HOw to get rid of multiple recurrent appointments that are all the same Using Outlook 1