Outlook 2010 Assigning a newly (re)created e-mail account to a specific .pst data file

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm having to rebuild my Outlook accounts after moving from a "spinner" hard drive to a solid-state one. As I recreate my e-mail accounts, I want to assign each one to an already-existing .pst file on a cloud storage service (Dropbox), rather than on the local SSD so I can access the data from both my desktop and laptop. However, when I create the account, Outlook insists on using the .pst file on the default C: drive. These files were created when the original data was copied from the spinner to the SSD.

Filling the desired drive information in the "Root folder path" box on the "Advanced" tab in "More settings" when creating the account has no effect. And once the data file is assigned, there's no way to change it.

Can I assign an account to a specific .pst right from the start? If so, how?

Is there any way to change the assigned .pst once the account has been created? If so, how?

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You can change it later. Add the pst to the profile then in File, Account settings - select the pop account and click Choose folder.

If you use the manual setup option, you can choose the data file to use with the account.

already-existing .pst file on a cloud storage service (Dropbox),
This is not a good idea - outlook keeps a lock on the file when its open. The attempts to sync it may create a ton of temp files, filling up the cloud drive. It can also corrupt the pst and if the changes don't sync faster enough, and you open the other computer, you can lose data.

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
You can change it later. Add the pst to the profile then in File, Account settings - select the pop account and click Choose folder.

If you use the manual setup option, you can choose the data file to use with the account.

This is not a good idea - outlook keeps a lock on the file when its open. The attempts to sync it may create a ton of temp files, filling up the cloud drive. It can also corrupt the pst and if the changes don't sync faster enough, and you open the other computer, you can lose data.
Hi, Diane. Thanks for the response. I see that this will work for POP accounts, but what about Gmail accounts, which are usually IMAP? If I reconfigure them to work with POP, rather than IMAP, I take it this ability to identify the desired data file will work too.

As for the potential conflict between the desktop and laptop accessing the same file, would that still be a problem given that I use the laptop to access e-mail only when I travel, or in other (rare) situations when I'm not home and the desktop is turned off?

Thanks again.