The Outlook 2016 Profile that isn't always there

brian369

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm on a brand new computer, windows 10, Office 2016, all patches/updates applied.

If I right click on a document, and try to send to a mail recipient, I'm told I need to create an Outlook Profile. However, I already have an Outlook profile (I can see it, make changes, etc.) and my Outlook 2016 works fine for all its functions including send/receiving to four different e-mail accounts (all pop-3).

If I start Outlook in safe made, I'm also prompted to create an profile.

In short, it seems like even though I do have a profile, it's not entirely visible throughout the Windows/Office ecosystem. I can only assume I screwed something-up somehow when I first setup Outlook.

My questions here are:
1) there any easy 'fix' or 'repair' to correct? (Office's 'repair' feature offered no help)
2) I'm tempted to just create a new profile, but can I have that point to my existing PST, or should I just import my data from original PST to a PST for the new profile?
3) does anyone have any experience in the function inside Control-Panel>Mail to 'copy' a profile? I can't seem to find any details on exactly how that works, what it does, and if it does anything related to the contents of the PST.

Grateful for any help.
Brian

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
2) I'm tempted to just create a new profile, but can I have that point to my existing PST, or should I just import my data from original PST to a PST for the new profile?
Yes, you can point the new account to use the old pst - that is better than importing the pst into a new pst.

Is Outlook running when you do this? It definitely should see the profile when its running.

I'm on a brand new computer, windows 10, Office 2016, all patches/updates applied.
Based on this, my best guess is you have two office suites installed - the preinstalled store and office 2016. Or you are using the store version and that command can't 'see' it.

See File, Office Account - About Outlook. What is the text following the version/build number? If it is click to run, follow the steps at The Windows Store Outlook App to make sure the store version is gone.

brian369

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Yes, you can point the new account to use the old pst - that is better than importing the pst into a new pst.

Is Outlook running when you do this? It definitely should see the profile when its running.

Based on this, my best guess is you have two office suites installed - the preinstalled store and office 2016. Or you are using the store version and that command can't 'see' it.

See File, Office Account - About Outlook. What is the text following the version/build number? If it is click to run, follow the steps at The Windows Store Outlook App to make sure the store version is gone.

Hi Diane,

You are correct, I have a pre-installed version of Office that I haven't touched. I've only been using a copy of Office 2016 Prof (from my company) that I installed myself.

The version information is as:
1548159970469.png

Unsure if this provides additional insight on how to address. Do you suggest I uninstall the pre-installed version of Office before I start mucking around with my profile?

Thank you,
Brian