Migrate from godaddy 365 to office 365 home

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksher

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
On various forums I have learned the steps required to change 365 subscription from godaddy to microsoft. One of those steps is "Remove your custom domain from the mail plan" (at godaddy).

It's implied that this is something I can accomplish myself, which is what I prefer, but when chatting with godaddy, they claim they have to do this on the "backend" and I cannot. The problem is the down time... they warn that it can take 24-48 hours for them to accomplish this.

Can I accomplish this myself? Is it merely a matter of changing dns records?

Thanks!

They need to remove the domain from their tenant before you can move it to your own tenant direct from microsoft. In my experience moving clients, they are pretty speedy about it - but there is always a chance they will be slow. :(

You can get everything ready to go in the microsoft tenant, save for the domain - once they remove the name there, you can add it to your microsoft tenant and be ready to go with limited downtime - as soon as they remove it from their tenant, you can add it to your own. There is no wait period. The DNS changes will be minor, so mail should start flowing to the new mailbox immediately.

If you have limited # of mailboxes, you can change the DNS records to use another mailbox/server temporarily, but its a lot of effort if you have many mailboxes. I would probably just get everything ready in the tenant, then call godaddy to make the change - watch your mail for their notification that they made the change and/or try adding the domain to your new tenant every 30 min. The big problem is not in how long it takes them to remove the domain on their side but how quickly you add it to your tenant - that should only be a problem if they remove it after you go to bed. :)

Diane, thank you so much for your prompt and complete reply, I appreciate it.

I have an ancillary question. I have several domains registered with Godaddy, most of which I plan to keep (renew) but not actively use. I saw in one online search where someone claimed that by merely changing the domain at godaddy 365, it freed up the original domain and they were able to then use it in the Microsoft tenant. Do you happen to know if that truly would work? Thanks again.

Yes, that will work too - but don't you need to have godaddy do that for you? If so, you'll have the same potential delays - you need to wait for them to remove the domain so you can add it to microsoft side - then you need to add the domain at microsoft fairly quickly to avoid bounced messages.

Yes, that will work too - but don't you need to have godaddy do that for you? If so, you'll have the same potential delays - you need to wait for them to remove the domain so you can add it to microsoft side - then you need to add the domain at microsoft fairly quickly to avoid bounced messages.

Well, I thought I had done enough research and prepared properly to make this transition but alas, what a mess. I have my backed up file (pst), so that's all good. I phoned GoDaddy yesterday morning and the support tech seemed to understand perfectly what I wanted to do, I had asked that he remove the custom domain from the email plan there and then cancel the Office 365 plan they had (related to that same custom domain). The tech said he could do that and it would take place immediately. I told him to proceed. Next, I opened my premium outlook.com and attempted to add the custom domain in it as an alias. It verified that I was entitled to control the custom domain but somehow added it to outlook.com not as an alias but as a connected account. In outlook.com, when I click on the premium button (diamond at top) and then click on personalized email address, it says "Your Domain" "Your custom domain is licensed through GoDaddy" and below that it says Outlook has successfully connected your custom domain xxxxx.com. It has a button allowing me to remove the domain. Below there, it shows "Members up to five) and then lists my name and below that, my custom domain and to the right is a link with an image of a trash can and it says "Remove address".

I am able to log into outlook.com using either my outlook.com email or my custom domain email. However, if I send my browser to outlook.com and then try to sign it, when I log in using the custom domain email, a pop-up from Microsoft says "It looks like this email is used with more than one account from Microsoft. Which one do you want to use? The first choice says "Work or school account Created by your IT department xxxxxx@xxxxx.com. The next area I could select says "Personal account Created by you xxxxxx@xxxxx.com (both email addresses are the custom domain ones). If I click on the "Work or school account" then it takes me to a godaddy login, which no longer works because, of course, that service was deleted on the GoDaddy end. I'm thinking there may be some setting that didn't get changed or removed somewhere.

I spent almost the entire day yesterday on chats and mostly the phone with 5 different microsoft support techs. That turned out to be a complete waste, with me ultimately being redirected from one to the next and then back to the same department I started at.

If I try to add my custom domain as an alias, it says "you can't add a work or school email address as an alias..." This is neither, I've been retired for 20 years.

Any thoughts?

>>
Next, I opened my premium outlook.com and attempted to add the custom domain in it as an alias. It verified that I was entitled to control the custom domain but somehow added it to outlook.com not as an alias but as a connected account.
>>>

It should add it as an alias. After you add the domain, you add it here -

if you look at your account, its listed as an alias (you can set it to be the primary)

It won't be listed as a connected account but you can set it to be the default reply address.

(if i can only get rid of the double images )

add-alias.png
change-primary.png
default-reply.png

Last edited:
I am able to log into outlook.com using either my outlook.com email or my custom domain email. However, if I send my browser to outlook.com and then try to sign it, when I log in using the custom domain email, a pop-up from Microsoft says "It looks like this email is used with more than one account from Microsoft. Which one do you want to use? The first choice says "Work or school account Created by your IT department xxxxxx@xxxxx.com. The next area I could select says "Personal account Created by you xxxxxx@xxxxx.com (both email addresses are the custom domain ones). If I click on the "Work or school account" then it takes me to a godaddy login, which no longer works because, of course, that service was deleted on the GoDaddy end. I'm thinking there may be some setting that didn't get changed or removed somewhere.

I was going to ask if you ever created a microsoft account for it, but it just sounds like issues with removing the account from godaddy. Did it let you add the domain? If so, it is out of the office 365 system - but there may be some caching affecting the logon - those should disappear within 24 hours. Maybe try a private browser session to see if its something in the browser cache (I don't think so.)

add-domain.png

Thanks, Diane. I may try it all again, that is, removing the "connected account" and attempting to add it as an alias, which is what I did originally. In fact, if I look at Account Aliases, both accounts show up with xxxxx@outlook.com being the primary alias and me@mycustomname.com showing below it. However, there is no selection to allow me to make me@mycustomname.com primary, only to remove it. I'm a little worried that once I remove it as a connected account, I won't be able to re-connect it if I need to, even though that is not my objective.

Step 1) Gather the Office 365 Administrator credentials, GoDaddy Administrator credentials, and all the user passwords.
Step 2) Go to GoDaddy website and login with Administrator credentials –

1. Go to ‘Workspace Email’ and click the option ‘Manage All.’
  2. It will present the list of your emails. Click the ‘Export’ option.
  3. At the Export wizard, select Email from the Export drop-down, check the option ‘Select All’ to select all the properties of Email. At last, choose the option ‘CSV’ as the File Format. Click Export.
  4. After saving the CSV file, open it and create a new row at the top for following details –
    • User Name
    • Email Address
    • Password
Start the Migration from GoDaddy to office 365
  1. Login to Office 365 Admin center, the go-to Admin Center, and click Exchange.
  2. Follow recipients>>migration.
  3. Click Add (+) and select Migrate to Exchange Online.
  4. Select the last option of ‘IMAP migration (supported by Exchange and another email system).’
  5. Click ‘Choose File’ and browse the CSV file you created for the GoDaddy email.
  6. At the ‘IMAP migration configuration‘ page, fill the details for the IMAP server (imap.secureserver.net), Authentication (Basic), Encryption (SSL), Port (993). Then click Next.
  7. Provide a name to the batch migration, select the Bad Item limit, Large Item limit, and exclude folder. Click Next.
  8. Use the Browse button and select the user(s) who will get the notification at various migration stages. Then choose the option to start the migration.
  9. After completing the prerequisites for the migration, the batch migration will start and show its status as ‘syncing.’
  10. You can click the View details link and get the current status of the batch items.
  11. Finally, when all the emails are migrated from GoDaddy to Office 365, then the status of the batch will change to ‘synced.’
NOTE: The migration method which we covered above is suitable for migrating the email from the GoDaddy IMAP only. If you have an account in Gmail, Outlook or Hotmail, then you can run a data migration also for IMAP migration in Office 365 Admin Center. So, if you have contacts and calendar in your mailbox, then you will have to migrate them separately.
There is a simple method using Outlook by which you can export your IMAP data to a PST file and later import it to Office 365 mailbox through Outlook.

Hope this information helps you!
Regards,
Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.