Order of Recent Items in Attach File List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Marks

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Prior to installing the last Office update, I am certain that the order of Recent Items that came up when pressing the Attach File button was chronological with the most recent item on top. This made perfect sense as I routinely wanted to attach the file I was just working on to an email. For some reason, that list now shows up in reverse alphabetical order. I want to change it back to chronological order. How do I do that?

2019-05-17.png

It should be newest on top, automatically. AFAIK, you can't control it - you can delete the shortcuts.

type Shell:recent in the address bar of file explorer to open one folder where the shortcuts are. The list at C:\Users\%username%\Recent should be the same list. The is another set of shortcuts - i haven't taken the time to find them, but i think their position is controlled by the registry.

Well as I said it used to be newest on top until the last Office update. It clearly is not that now and I would love to figure out how to get it back to that. The list at C:\Users\%username%\Recent does seem to include the Recent File listed in Outlook (but also has other files) but even if I sort that list by newest on top it still show up as reverse alphabetical in the Recent Files list. Any additional insight?

Maybe this will help. I deleted all the shortcuts from the C:\Users\%username%\Recent folder, but files are still showing up in the Recent File list in Outlook. Not sure the source of these, but they do not seem to be in alphabetical order. These seem to be files I worked on last week, but I can't tell if they are in any kind of newest first order. Gonna try a re-boot and see what happens.

Looks like that did the trick. Files are now listed in chronological order in the Attach File|Recent Items list in Outlook, although neither the files that come up in Shell:recent or in the C:\Users\%username%\Recent folder contain all of the files in the Attach File|Recent Items list in Outlook. Thus, I assume that list in Outlook is populated, at least in part, from somewhere else.

Yeah, there is another list somewhere- i need to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L However, before you place an order, you want to pick out whether or not you want the to Using Outlook 0
S CONTACT FIELD PRINT ORDER Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Changing the preferred order for "Put this entry in" list for adding new contacts to the Address Book Using Outlook 1
C Outlook Mobile app email order randomized and display names stripped Using Outlook 6
A Change order of actions in one (!) rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S BCM Project Task Order BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D Change First/Last Order of Contact Names (O 2016) Using Outlook 0
R Print email message and attachment in order Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T Unexpected change of the order of the folders in my navigation pane Using Outlook 6
D Inconsistent order of names displayed Using Outlook 7
D Contacts Sort Order Using Outlook 0
F Not keep sort order after re-change column Using Outlook 1
A BCM 2010 account names import in reverse order BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
B Outlook 2007 Mail Accounts Order? Using Outlook 2
S Quick Parts - Changing Display and Order Using Outlook 0
T Change order in which multiple exchange accounts are displayed in outlook tree Using Outlook 6
E Change order of Outlook 2007 data files Using Outlook 1
H How to delete Messages in ascending order - Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
W Page Order Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C how can i re-order recipients (addressees) in alphabetical order? Using Outlook 4
D Tab Order Out of Sequence After Attaching Document Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Customing tab order in email template Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Question of setting the order of a custom menu in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B How to create a button that sorts and selects the most recent message with ONE click Using Outlook 2
V Pin a document to the "Attach file" Recent Documents list Using Outlook 0
M Recent Update Did not Fix Search Problems Using Outlook 7
O See recent emails from a sender Using Outlook 2
M Recent emails disappearing Using Outlook 4
makinmyway Recent Files Not Updating when Using Insert Hyperlink in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
C connecting to recent outlook file on new hard drive Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2010: Conversations view - most recent activity posts to of inbox? Using Outlook 2
B Having Recent Issues with Hotmail Connector? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 17
J Saving recent colors used for fonts in an email? Using Outlook 1
T OWA 2007 recent recipients and OWA 2010 nicknames Exchange Server Administration 5
J Sent Items Folder Isn't Showing the Most Recent Sent Items Using Outlook 7
P turn off the default "all day" check box in new calendar items. How? Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 365 (OutLook For Mac)Move "On My Computer" Folder Items From Old To New Mac Computer Using Outlook 3
Kika Melo Outlook Calendar deleted appointments not in Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 3
icacream Outlook 2021 Win 10 - Nothing goes in my Drafts or Sent items folders ! Using Outlook 1
M using excel to sort outlook appointment items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
K Changing the Deleted Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 2
R Adding Userform Dropdown List items from names of subfolders on network drive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
C How to search for items in Outbox with multiple accounts? Using Outlook 20
N How to add or delete items to Move dropdown Menu Using Outlook 0
sophievldn Looking for a macro that moves completed items from subfolders to other subfolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
wayneame Changing the Form Used by Existing Task Items in a Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
K How to share multiple calendar items Using Outlook 1
F Wishlist Outlook suddenly began synchronizing deleted items every time I delete a single email. Using Outlook 2
D Autosort macro for items in a view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Names in sent items suddenly show as Bob Smith (bobsmith@sample.com) Using Outlook 3