Status
Not open for further replies.

Filip

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi,
I have a bit strategic Question. I have been working with User Customized forms over 20 years now.
I was charmed by the work with synchronized data via Exchange and keep various Personal-type semi structural data in Outlook.

It started with Outlook 98. Remember ? Easy, streamline interface. No obscurities and bullsh*.

I still dedicate quite a huge time to some (personal type) application now. The app maintains vocabulary in TaskItems and shoots it to me to teach me some languages/phrases/words. It remembers the answers in the Items and of course it can use Exchange to update Successful and Unsuccessful trials so that the vocabulary learns with me gradually wherever I am. It is typical situation where this kind of "database" finds use.

But there is the philosophical question:

Aren't we "building wooden shack from pre-historic time" with enormous energy while there is a machinery nowadays like buldozers, new materials... etc....
I mean, is not MAPI interface something that was obsolete way way way behind us ??

It is not a philosophical question only. It has one strong practical subquestion: Can I reach User Defined Field e.g. at my Android phone ?

I use for Example Nine app that is able to sync Mails, Tasks, Calendar, Contacts, even subfolders.

But why the HELL it cannot sync User Defined Fields. They are still synced in Outlook 2019.

Is Microsoft the only one that was able to program it and I guess we all are in bad luck since after 20 years noone can expect Microsoft will add UserDefined Fields to ActiveSync protocol (? is this actually the protocol that needs to be updated for UserDefined Fields appear at Android?)

I mean, I was trying to use RDO Redemption from Mr. Streblechenko. He is half-god regardin Outlook. I always ask to myseflf whether He, or Dianne Poremsky were originally the team who created Outlook 97, 98?? Am I right? Since I read from them since long long time old posts in various forums.

Thus I think if anyone is able to answer me these long-term strategic questions, noone else than these two people :)

Because I know what pain in the as* it was to make e.g. MAPItable filtering work and I e.g. learned how bad bad it is when you want to remove UserDefined Field in 6000 items using Outlook Model, I am now asking whether it has sense to deal with MAPI or better forget it as obsolete one and forever technology.

I have also noticed that noone touched Filter-Advanced Filter -DASL filter, luckily, but at the same time developped some new inconsistent fuzzy filtering mechanisms.
I have also noticed that Views were hidden to Ribbon in a sabotage-way so that noone is able to read their names.
Looks like team of new Outlook programmers even have no clue what these are good for.
I also noticed how {Manage forms} was cleaned up to funny place [Advanced Settings--behind--behind---almost at the end], again, as if new Programmers have absolutely no clue what these are for, because they removed this interface from Folder, where it belonged to. It all seems like "lets paint a new facade and re-sell the old stuff with new version".

Anything at this subject is very welcome.

Have a nice day

Filip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A How to enable outlook room finder (outlook connector (mapi)) user ? Using Outlook 3
P CDO MAPI Session failing to retrieve user name but Getexchage user Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Strange MAPI/Exchange/IMAP behaviour in OL 2016 under10.0.19044.2006 Using Outlook 0
pcunite Outlook 2019/O365 Build 13127.20408 errors when using MAPI calls Using Outlook 1
Dennis Gaudenzi Your setup couldn't be started because of an unexpected error (mapi 0x80040604) Using Outlook 14
J Unwanted US Holiday Contact folder in Outlook.com syncs to MAPI/Phone Address book Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 9
P office 2013 communigate mapi Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2013 MAPI 1.0 Error Using Outlook 2
L Mapi folder.FIND: error Using Outlook 0
J [outlook-users] Icloud + Mapi profile + Using Outlook 1
C MAPI to access a 64 bit Outlook from a 32 bit application; or access via ODBC Using Outlook 0
K Two MAPI Accounts One Contacts data set Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
E Redemption MAPI access(c#) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Google MAPI account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
R Create a new contact use MAPI? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Generating valid MAPI URLs for Outlook 2003 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Custom mapi is not displayed in the readingpane. Why? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M How to install custom mapi form programmatically? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M How to add a message to a mapi view folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Setting a MAPI property of type PT_SYSTIME Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
L Any Replacement for CDO and MAPI ? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
T Simple MAPI send and Outlook COM addin Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D using extended MAPI Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Q MAPI Read-only Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D MAPI programming issue - outbox doesn't exist? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Lifelong Windows user - new to Mac - Help!!! Using Outlook 3
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro GoTo user defined search folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
W OL giving basic auth when logged in to Win as specific user Using Outlook 0
Witzker Outlook 2019 How to get a Photo in a User Defined Contact form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to send an Email Template from User Defined Contact Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Witzker Outlook 2019 Edit contact from email does not open the user defined contactform Using Outlook 3
Witzker Set Cursor & Focus from any field to the body of a user Contact form in OL 2019 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Witzker Place cursor at opening, a user defined OL contact form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
ill13 Prepend the user's computer name to the subject. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J How to create a drop down user defined field that will appear on an inbox view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
J VBA Cannot programmatically input or change Value for User Defined field Using Outlook 1
Z Import Tasks from Access Using VBA including User Defined Fields Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
icacream Outlook 2016 “Enter your user name and password for the following server.” Using Outlook 5
N Item cannot be saved because it was modified by another user or window, and, Item could not be moved... Using Outlook 0
A How to stop user form from disapearing once mail window is closed? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
H Information from user defined field into Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
D Outlook 2010 Outlook in Windows 10 keeps asking for user name and password repeatedly Using Outlook 14
E Asking user to select multiple options in a list in an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
icacream Enter your user name and password for the following server. Using Outlook 4
B User defined field for messages with 'me' in the [To], [Cc] line Using Outlook 0
S User Defined Fields adding new value (2) Using Outlook 0
R Creating a user defined function Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Compile error: User-defined type not defined Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M How to export Voting Results with user names and their responses Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
M vCard does not have user-defined fields from my custom contact form (365) Using Outlook 1