Migrate Outlook 2007 to Office 365

bbrener

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
IMAP
I have used Outlook 2007 for many years and I wish to migrate to Office 365. The advice is to delete all old versions before installing. However, I have many SMTP and Pop accounts configured as well as some add ons; contacts; calendar and customization's.
How can I preserve all those across the migration. I do not want to set it up from scratch.
Thank you
Brian

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
If you uninstall office, the profile won't be deleted. You can export the registry key just to be safe though. It's at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

Do not use the "Easy Fix" to uninstall office - it will wipe office from the drive and delete the profiles. Just uninstall it from control Panel > Programs & features.

Also, move the pst files out of %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook and put them in Documents\Outlook Files. You'll need to repoint the account to the pst but they will be easier to backup.

bbrener

Outlook version
Outlook 2007
Email Account
IMAP
Thank you. It actually went quite smoothly just uninstalling that way and reinstalling. The accounts were preserved and calendar; contacts etc. I am upset the MS doesn't let you install on the D drive to avoid using my small SSD. The PST gets converted to OST. Is there a good way to back it up?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
imap accounts don't need to be backed up and you can move them to the D drive - they tend to be bigger than the office install. I prefer symbolic links as you won't need to redo the profile