Outlook Office 365 Win 10 how do I control background colors of events?

John2222

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 64-bit
Email Account
POP3
I have Outlook 365 (Windows 10 home) and use the Calendar (as well as email) quite often to keep track of upcoming appoints. I don't understand the small vertical rectangular box immediately to the left of the event. If I set the category to Red (Important) which I added, the event is red, but the rest of the box is blank/white.

My Color setting is "Light Blue"
But sometimes the "vertical Box" is colored in and sometimes it is the category color (orange or yellow etc.). How do I control this?

Also sometimes the rest of the date box is blank (white) and sometimes it is shaded to match the category. Why? How do I control this?

As you can imagine, viewing this on the screen looks ok, but some colors look bold, dark, etc. on a color inkjet or b/w printer. Any idea of what is going on?

Thanks! (notice some of the colors and vertical box fill-ins on the attached screen shot.

Categories.JPG

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The little vertical box is the Show time as box - free, busy, out of office etc.

When you have an all day event marked busy, the entire day is shaded. If its assigned a category, its shaded the category color. If its a timed appt, only the event is colored.