Contacts in a category

bhamberg

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Looking for a script or easy way to list out all of my categories and the number of contacts associated with them.

(have been using out look since 1999 and consistency is not my forte :O))

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Does it have to be scripted? You can create a view with the fields you need and copy/paste into Excel - group by category if you have have more than one category assigned to a contact - each category will be in one row. Then work with Excel features to get count.

Top screenshot is copied from outlook with the view grouped by category, bottom is not grouped.

bhamberg

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Yes, that would solve 1 of my questions... The 2nd would be to list any categories (which I do not think this method would do?) that do not have a contact assigned so I can decide if I want to delete.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I have some macros - Print a list of Outlook Categories and their Colors

And powershell - Use PowerShell to Export and Import Categories

That will get the full list of categories - compare them in excel to the ones that are in use - then make a list and use a macro or powershell to remove the categories.

Powershell list isn't as pretty but is easier than a macro, if you aren't currently using macros. You can remove the color and shortcut from this part of the script to make it prettier. :)
($_.Name,$_.Color,$_.ShortCutKey)

bhamberg

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard but how would I go about finding the unused categories?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Get a list of the users ones and compare it to full list. I'd probably do it the old fashioned way - two columns in excel, sort the columns alphabetically then go over the list and delete the ones in both columns but there is probably an excel function that could automate it, if you needed to do it frequently. The unused ones will be left - if you have a few, you can manually delete (because formatting the list for the macro might take more time) , otherwise user powershell or a macro.

Rupert Dragwater

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I've asked about syncing folders because I've seen Outlook 2013 say its syncing folders and after an hour or so, I just hit cancel. Anyway, here's what I'm up against. One of my accounts is a gmail account.
I've seen it here and there, that I see no mail coming in on this particular account. If I click on the gmail Inbox, then mail will come in. Most of the time, this will work flawlessly but now and then (and now) it decides to get ugly and not do what it's supposed to do. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the syncing thingy.

Other email addresses / folders work no problem. Therefore, can I please get instructions as what to do in order to overcome this present grief. Thanks.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Just so you know... gmail is buggy the last few days.

Recommendation: don't set the check every xx min to to less than 5 minutes - go higher if you have a lot of folders. Switching folders will sync the folder immediately. New mail should she synced immediately with a gmail account (it uses push)

Delete the SRS file and let outlook recreate it using default settings-

Type or paste the following into File Explorer's address bar then press Enter to open File explorer to the folder where the SRS file is stored and delete it.
%appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook

This will reset all of your send/receive settings back to the default.

bhamberg

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Quick follow-up question... The PS script is only extracting out the Categories from Contacts. How do we add in the Calendar and email and appointment) Contacts as well?

bhamberg

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Interesting... It's not - picking up all the categories from contacts but none from the calendar or emails...

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
They are color categories in the same mailbox? If the category names show as white, then they are not in the master list. There is only 1 category list - but if you have multiple accounts, you may have a different list for each account.