Contacts in a category

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhamberg

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Looking for a script or easy way to list out all of my categories and the number of contacts associated with them.

(have been using out look since 1999 and consistency is not my forte :O))

Does it have to be scripted? You can create a view with the fields you need and copy/paste into Excel - group by category if you have have more than one category assigned to a contact - each category will be in one row. Then work with Excel features to get count.

Top screenshot is copied from outlook with the view grouped by category, bottom is not grouped.

Yes, that would solve 1 of my questions... The 2nd would be to list any categories (which I do not think this method would do?) that do not have a contact assigned so I can decide if I want to delete.

I have some macros - Print a list of Outlook Categories and their Colors

And powershell - Use PowerShell to Export and Import Categories

That will get the full list of categories - compare them in excel to the ones that are in use - then make a list and use a macro or powershell to remove the categories.

Powershell list isn't as pretty but is easier than a macro, if you aren't currently using macros. You can remove the color and shortcut from this part of the script to make it prettier. :)
($_.Name,$_.Color,$_.ShortCutKey)

Maybe I'm thinking about this too hard but how would I go about finding the unused categories?

Get a list of the users ones and compare it to full list. I'd probably do it the old fashioned way - two columns in excel, sort the columns alphabetically then go over the list and delete the ones in both columns but there is probably an excel function that could automate it, if you needed to do it frequently. The unused ones will be left - if you have a few, you can manually delete (because formatting the list for the macro might take more time) , otherwise user powershell or a macro.

I've asked about syncing folders because I've seen Outlook 2013 say its syncing folders and after an hour or so, I just hit cancel. Anyway, here's what I'm up against. One of my accounts is a gmail account.
I've seen it here and there, that I see no mail coming in on this particular account. If I click on the gmail Inbox, then mail will come in. Most of the time, this will work flawlessly but now and then (and now) it decides to get ugly and not do what it's supposed to do. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the syncing thingy.

Other email addresses / folders work no problem. Therefore, can I please get instructions as what to do in order to overcome this present grief. Thanks.

Just so you know... gmail is buggy the last few days.

Recommendation: don't set the check every xx min to to less than 5 minutes - go higher if you have a lot of folders. Switching folders will sync the folder immediately. New mail should she synced immediately with a gmail account (it uses push)

Delete the SRS file and let outlook recreate it using default settings-

Type or paste the following into File Explorer's address bar then press Enter to open File explorer to the folder where the SRS file is stored and delete it.
%appdata%\Microsoft\Outlook

This will reset all of your send/receive settings back to the default.

Quick follow-up question... The PS script is only extracting out the Categories from Contacts. How do we add in the Calendar and email and appointment) Contacts as well?

It should be getting all that are on the master list.

Interesting... It's not - picking up all the categories from contacts but none from the calendar or emails...

They are color categories in the same mailbox? If the category names show as white, then they are not in the master list. There is only 1 category list - but if you have multiple accounts, you may have a different list for each account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Macro to find contacts by category and copy them to another folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 15
F Export Outlook contacts by One Category Using Outlook 1
J Contacts: Assigning followup date by category Using Outlook 2
K Master Category List / Contacts Public Folder Advice Using Outlook 4
G Apply Custom Contacts form to all existing Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Add Map It button to Custom Contacts Form in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
Kika Melo How to mark as Junk any message not from Contacts (in Outlook.com) Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
T How to Export & Import GMAIL Contacts into Outlook 2021 ? Using Outlook 4
L Applying new form to existing contacts -- MessageClass Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Bardiferous Weird Contacts Behavior - Can't find any in any address book, but they're in there Using Outlook 3
S client lost 3K contacts when office 365 for mac account deleted from company exchange server Using Outlook 5
O How to sync (one way) contacts between two Outlook (exchange) accounts? Using Outlook 0
P How to clear out all contacts in iCloud, so I can use iCloud-based sync program Using Outlook 1
R How to prevent corrupted Notes format in Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook 0
K Outlook 365 After migrating to Outlook 365, some contacts display in emails with prefixes Using Outlook 0
kburrows Outlook or Phone Combining Contacts? Using Outlook 0
Witzker Add a text line at the end of the note field in all selected Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
G Add contacts birthday to calendar Using Outlook 4
R How to force Outlook to use plain text in notes for Contacts? Using Outlook 1
S Cannot print Contacts Using Outlook 7
V Backup Calendar, Contacts, Tasks in an POP3 data file Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 365 Outlook 2016/365 Contacts Lose Info when Favorited to the To-Do Bar Using Outlook 2
D Advanced e-Mail search on from/to contact group only searches for first 20 contacts in group Using Outlook 0
P Outlook calendar and contacts sync problem-outlook disconnects Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
K Font Sizing in Custom Form Regions for Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Outlook - hidden contacts? Using Outlook 2
H Synchronize contacts and calendars across multiple devices Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2016 Change how Outlook shows me contacts in emails Using Outlook 0
L Favorites for People/Contacts? Using Outlook 1
K can't get custom form to update multiple contacts using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Horsepower Contacts added from iPhone don't show up in Outlook Using Outlook 2
B oContacts.Items.Restrict Misses Some Contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
F Moving Contacts to New Profile Using Outlook 0
V Contacts in O365 have changed?? Using Outlook 20
T Outlook 2010 BCM Migration to Standard Contacts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
D Outlook Contacts Notes Field Photos to Smartphone Using Outlook 0
G Add to Outlook Contacts - Point to non-default contacts folder Using Outlook 0
D Is a sub folder under contacts necessary to be able to name an Address Book? Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2016 Contacts missing in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
L icloud contacts sync Using Outlook 4
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2016 Creating a shared local Contacts folder Using Outlook 2
M VbScript for Command Button on Contacts Custom Form Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2013 Change color of text in data fields of contacts in Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 10
M Changing the preferred order for "Put this entry in" list for adding new contacts to the Address Book Using Outlook 1
GregS Exporting contacts Using Outlook 1
O Synchronising contacts Outlook 365 with Google v.v. Using Outlook 4
J can't sync outlook calendar contacts with iphone ipad Using Outlook 4
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4