Status
Not open for further replies.

Filip

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi,
After KB4475563 is installed VBS at for is not working.
It is e.g. a buttom that gets current date and fill it ins the field.

After uninstalling the patch KB4475563 and restart, it starts to work again.
I am afraid that Microsoft does not care about people using VBS and forms.

I am ware of registry and have IPM.xxxx class entered and all was working really until this patch KB4475563 which I believe is buggy.

Symptoms
If you are using Microsoft Outlook in a Terminal Services environment, you cannot use Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) in custom Outlook forms. This issue can occur when you are using a Microsoft Windows Terminal Server in Install mode or User mode. This issue also occurs with Windows 2000 Terminal Server in Application mode but not in Remote Administration mode.

Use the following methods to work around this problem.

Method 1: Copy the Outlvbs.dll file to existing installations
To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Copy the Outlvbs.dll file from a computer that is not running Microsoft Outlook on a Terminal Server.

Note Make sure that this computer and the Terminal Server are running the same version of Outlook when you copy the Outlvbs.dll file.

2. Copy the Outlvbs.dll file to the appropriate Office folder of the affected Terminal Server computer for your version of Office.
    • Office 2016:
      • MSI-based installation: Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16
      • Click-to-Run installation: Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
    • Office 2013:
      • MSI-based installation: Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15
      • Click-to-Run installation: Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\Office15
    • Office 2010: Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14
    • Office 2007: Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12
    • Office 2003: Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11
    • Office 2002: Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10

Note If your Operating system and Office version are not the same bitness, the location will be 'Program Files(x86)'.
  3. Important When you install an Outlook Update on the Terminal Server, the Outlvbs.dll file is not updated. Therefore, you must install the same update on the other computer and follow these steps to copy the Outlvbs.dll file to the Terminal Server every time an update is installed.
Hope this helps you!
Regards,
Lewis

If you are using Microsoft Outlook in a Terminal Services environment, you cannot use Visual Basic Scripting Edition (VBScript) in custom Outlook forms. This issue can occur when you are using a Microsoft Windows Terminal Server in Install mode or User mode. This issue also occurs with Windows 2000 Terminal Server in Application mode but not in Remote Administration mode.

Hi Lewis, thanks for the tip.

The situation does not apply to me, I was using normal Windows 7 environment, not a Terminal Services at all, but a corporate notebook and corporation pushed me this KB forcefully so I was kind of stuck. I had to find a way how to disable updates that came again, again, again at all which is not a secure way but the non-functional VBS af forms really sucked. They must have some bug in it and I dont know how to tell them.

I will go over mentioned workaround, it may be useful for similar situations anyway.
It looks like Outlvbs.dll may be the one which was patched and is relevant thereof, I did not know it.

I'm not sure the VBA dll is involved - its a typical "remote code execution... Outlook fails to properly handle objects in memory" exploit. I'll see if there is a fix expected - all of my contacts were out of the office for the last few weeks (at conferences and then on vacation).

Status
Not open for further replies.