Updating VbaProject.OTM on several users

Status
Not open for further replies.

gruiz

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I want to update the "VbaProject.OTM" of a few coworkers, everytime I've found some new trick here on Slipstick I want to add it to our VBA bag of tricks :) (progress bars when exporting messages or when saving attachments, this little things make our life at work a lot easier)

I know the file is on "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook\VbaProject.OTM" but I can't find how to update it that besides going to each computer, closing Outlook 2016 and manually copy the latest version from a shared network drive to the actual users Roaming folder.

Is there a way to make Outlook VBA "look" on this shared folder at startup and get always the file found there? I find this a hard task to do since it implies to replace the file that locked because is in use by Outlook as soon as it starts.

I though on a batch that first copy the OTM file to the right location and then starts Outlook but perhaps it exists a more elegant and on-demand way since this requires the user to restart Outlook when a change is made. I can live with that because we work phisically in the same room so its a matter of "Restart outlook, please".

I also though of importing the updated VBA Modules but is not as easy task (it is using VBA in Microsoft Access wich I many years of experience, but I've found Outlook totally different)

Any ideas? We all use Outlook 2016 32bit on Windows 10 PRO 64 bit and we have access to a common network share that acts as a repository for the latest OTM file.
Also I don't have admin privileges so I can't get into every users Roaming folder and replace the file, this also means I can't install an Addin.

Quite a challenge, isn't? :)

A batch file to replace the file is the easiest - my memory says they will need to open the editor once when the default file is replaced. Test it to see.

It is possible to open a different OTM using a switch - i think this is still possible in newest version. But I don't think it will work with a network path. To the best of my recollection, this does not require opening the VBEditor to enable the macros.
/altvba otmfilename
You also need to set a registry key to use the switch with Outlook 2013 and later.

Test both methods on one computer and see which works best - it may be that using a batch to copy to a local path on each computer will be the most efficient, once you set up their shortcut to use the switch.

Hmm. After re-reading this, it sounds like the registry key may be a hindrance to the switch. :(

Thanks for you help, I wasn't aware of the OTM switch :)

I'm thinking about creating a scheduled task that runs at logon and always copy the latest OTM to the right place to be sure no Outlook is running at that time. If I make an urgent change its a matter of ask for log again. Its not the best solution but it will keep all users updated at least once a day.

Many thanks again for your help, Diana! I'll keep improving the OTM based on tricks and tips found right here :)

I saw that you published an Outlook book a few years ago, is there something that covers VBA published by you or any eBook you can recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Outlook tasks keeps changing (updating) dates that I type Using Outlook 2
I Outlook is stuck at "Updating Calendar" Using Outlook 1
A VBscript stops running after updating form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Custom Search Folders not refreshing/updating automatically Using Outlook 0
I Saving attachments from multiple emails and updating file name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
RBLampert Updating from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
T Office 2013 no longer updating automatically Using Outlook 2
G Mass Updating Contact form used Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
J Updating existing entry on shared calendar wants to send update from delegate Using Outlook 0
K Can VBA intervene when updating Internet Calendars? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Task Update coming as email and not updating task Using Outlook 3
M search takes a loooong time since updating Using Outlook 8
T Shared calendar not updating Using Outlook 1
T Need help with finding/updating task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Updating Last Modified Date on ThisOutlookSession Macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
TotallyConfused Godaddy Microsoft exchange 2007 stopped updating Exchange Server Administration 1
S Updating the database based on received task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
makinmyway Recent Files Not Updating when Using Insert Hyperlink in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
S Updating between Smartphone and PC Using Outlook 3
M Outlook 10 Inbox not updating Using Outlook 3
H Gmail not updating Outlook Home Using Outlook 17
Aalishaan Outlook 2010 Updating Inbox starts again Using Outlook 0
Alex Hall When updating shared calendar, it does not automatically update personal calendar Using Outlook 3
D Updating Registry to force new task and note items to save in a particular folder Using Outlook 1
K Excel Import Option: Need Help Updating Existing Records BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
J Shared ICalendars are not updating in Outlook Using Outlook 2
A Updating Outlook Contact Phone Nos to international dialling codes Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2010 - Pattern for updating task owner in generic mailbox Using Outlook 2
M Constantly updating address book Using Outlook 5
B Updating Macro to OL2010/32bit Using Outlook 8
D Multiple Users Updating Custom Form At Same Time Using Outlook 1
M Updating VBA code from outlook 2007 to outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
D Updating a recurring meeting cuses a reminder to be sent for every occurence. Using Outlook 2
C Message Count not updating Using Outlook 2
H Cannot share calendar, global address book not updating Exchange Server Administration 1
C Updating many contacts at once? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
Z Updating .ics files in OUtlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
T Error when updating Internet Calendar Subscriptions Using Outlook 12
R Outlook 2003 - Exchange 2010 global address list not updating Using Outlook 3
A Updating contacts with new information BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
M updating and saving contacts in Distribution List Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Updating appointments from Access 07 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
T Appoinments Not Updating after Outlook 2007 SP2 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Hornblower409 Automatically or Manually Backup Multiple Versions of VbaProject.OTM Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A VBAProject.OTM Not Found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N Open & Save VBAProject.Otm using VBA Code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Peter R Hawkes Can I sync VBAProject.otm? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
divan VbaProject: Changing email format Using Outlook 15
R how do I eliminate allow access dialog box using VBAproject in Out Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P userform in VBAProject.otm not working Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1