Outlook 2016 Deleting emails without affecting folder structure - Outlook Office 365

donrea

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
What is the best (easiest) way, or is there a 3rd-party tool, to delete multiple emails across multiple folders/subfolders without affecting the folder structure in Outlook? One that can be executed on demand, from time to time? I realize I can right-click on each folder and Delete All (except a folder that has subfolders that I don't want to delete).

MS has suggested a Retention Policy, but I don't think that can be executed on demand. There is also Archive, which after reading a page on this website today "Using Outlook's AutoArchive Feature", appears possible. Not interested in the 'auto' part, but it looks like Archive can be executed on demand. However, I am not confident in setting that up, but I can call Office 365 support for help if that is the best way to go.

I already use Pandali for deleting entire multiple folders/subfolders with their emails, but Pandali does not offer the option to leave the folder structure.

Here is an example: Folder with 14 subfolders. From time to time (maybe monthly) want to clear out (delete or put in Deleted Items folder) all the emails in those 15 folders without deleting the folder structure.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Archive is a good option, but it is disabled if you use online archive. Retention policies are like autoarchive - fully automatic. You can change policies on a folder and the items may be deleted the next time the mailbox manager runs, which may not be daily.

>>
What is the best (easiest) way, or is there a 3rd-party tool, to delete multiple emails across multiple folders/subfolders without affecting the folder structure in Outlook?
>>
How will you determine the folders? I have a macro that can do it. I'll need to test it and see if it also removes subfolders. In a quickie manual test, the Empty Folder command does not delete subfolders. Tweaking it to apply to the select folder and subfolder is needed - I might do this this afternoon.
objExpl.CommandBars.ExecuteMso ("EmptyFolder")

donrea

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Thank you for your response. I will look at this in a week or two. Not critical right now. First, have to spend a lot of time moving my Mac Outlook Calendar data to Exchange, line by line. :-(