Advanced find issues when using Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2007

K

KC

Hello.

Has anyone come across the following issues when using the advanced

find in Outlook 2003 when their mailbox is moved from Exchange 2003 to

Exchange 2007?

We have an Exchange 2007 SP1 server installed into an existing

Exchange 2003 SP2 environment. Users are running Outlook 2003 client

(no plans to go to Outlook 2007 yet), online.

A user has a message residing in their inbox with the message subject

containing a reference code of 0001111.

When the mailbox is hosted on the Exchange 2003 server, the user can

either search the full reference code 0001111, or perform a part seach

for just the 1111 element of the reference code, missing out the

leading zero’s and find the message ok.

However, when the mailbox is moved to Exchange 2007, and performs the

search again, the user search finds the search only works if they

enter the full reference of 0001111. If the user just searches for the

1111 part of the reference code, it no longer returns any results.

I've performed some tests using Test-ExchangeSearch etc, all checks

out ok

Did a few forum searches, and didn’t find anyone else reporting the

same issue.
 
K

KC

Hi all.

The following is a quick update following more testing (this was also

replicated on a test system)....

Tried moving mailbox back to Exchange 2003 find started to work

correctly was able to search for subject of 1111 and it found 001111

ok.

Tried moving mailbox again to Exchange 2007, and ran into the issue

again, search for just 1111 and can't find the email with 001111

Rebuilt the search index, still didn’t work

Created a new AD user and mailbox on 2007 (so rules out an issue with

mailboxes originally on 2003), same issue.

Did further searching in rollup bug fix lists, nothing indicated.

Ensured that test system is fully patched up with latest patches for

Outlook 2003 (SP3), and Exchange 2007 (SP1 with rollup8), still not

working

Tried with cached mode off (logged out in), didn't work

Tried with cached mode on (logged out in), it worked!

Looks like you need to have cached mode on for this type of search to

work.... HOWEVER...... there is a gotcha...... this doesn't work if

you're accessing a shared mailbox.

Therefore tried moving the shared helpdesk mailbox back to Exchange

2003, and did a search for 1111 and it picked up the email with the

subject of 001111 ok.

Then tried moving the shared mailbox again to Exchange 2007, and did a

search for 1111 and it didn't find the email with the subject of

001111.

There was one weird result...

I also tried searching for an email with the subject of Helpme.

When I searched for the whole word of "helpme" I found the message ok.

When I searched for the first part of the work "Help" I found the

message ok.

BUT when I tried to search for just "me" part of the work it didn't

work!

In conclusion what I've found so far is....

Advanced search doesn't work correctly for partial searches when

looking for text at the middle or end of a word\number etc (such as

searching for "me" in "helpme"), it only works from the beginning

(such as searching for "help" in "helpme")

Work around:

If you are using Outlook 2003 and your mailbox is on Exchange 2007

working within your own mailbox...

Advanced find will only work properly if you turn on cached mode

(might need to de-activate, log out in, then re-enable, log out

in).

BUT if you're accessing a shared mailbox on Exchange 2007 with Outlook

2003, it is not as compatible as you might think!

You' can't search on the first part of a word like you used to be able

to! Advanced search will only work if you enter the whole word\number

or the first part of the word\number

So like a lot of organisations if you're uses are accessing a shared

mailbox such as a helpdesk, sales, finance etc and they search for

part of a reference number (for example search 1234 within a reference

in a subject line of 0001234) it won't work and will be a pain if

people provide only part of a reference number to search against!

Has anyone else found this or know if this a bug?
 
R

Rich Matheisen [MVP]

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 03:35:00 -0700 (PDT), KC

<karl.chaloner@talk21.com> wrote:


> Hi all.

> The following is a quick update following more testing (this was also
> replicated on a test system)....

> Tried moving mailbox back to Exchange 2003 find started to work
> correctly was able to search for subject of 1111 and it found 001111
> ok.


So, does your E2K3 server maintain full-text indexes of the mailbox

database's contents?

Exchange 2007, unless you've turned that off, does.

Unless you're going to compare the same configuration on both servers

you're never going to have a good understanding of whether things work

"the same" or not.


> Tried moving mailbox again to Exchange 2007, and ran into the issue
> again, search for just 1111 and can't find the email with 001111
> Rebuilt the search index, still didn’t work


1111 isn't a word, 001111 is. 1111 is a substring within a word (and

at the end, too).


> Created a new AD user and mailbox on 2007 (so rules out an issue with
> mailboxes originally on 2003), same issue.


Rules have nothing to do with this. :)


> Did further searching in rollup bug fix lists, nothing indicated.
> Ensured that test system is fully patched up with latest patches for
> Outlook 2003 (SP3), and Exchange 2007 (SP1 with rollup8), still not
> working


It's working.


> Tried with cached mode off (logged out in), didn't work
> Tried with cached mode on (logged out in), it worked!


Sure. When you're in cached-mode the Outlook software is scanning

through the .OST file, just as it does with your mailbox when it's on

E2K3 and there's no full-text index.


> Looks like you need to have cached mode on for this type of search to
> work.... HOWEVER...... there is a gotcha...... this doesn't work if
> you're accessing a shared mailbox.


Welcome to the screwed up mess that is MS desktop search. Have you

installed MS Search 4.0 on the desktop? Have you deployed the desktop

GPO to allow search to index those types of mailboxes?


> Therefore tried moving the shared helpdesk mailbox back to Exchange
> 2003, and did a search for 1111 and it picked up the email with the
> subject of 001111 ok.


Again . . . full-text indexing.


> Then tried moving the shared mailbox again to Exchange 2007, and did a
> search for 1111 and it didn't find the email with the subject of
> 001111.
> There was one weird result...
> I also tried searching for an email with the subject of Helpme.
> When I searched for the whole word of "helpme" I found the message ok.
> When I searched for the first part of the work "Help" I found the
> message ok.
> BUT when I tried to search for just "me" part of the work it didn't
> work!


That's not surprising. It's the same thing you noted with looking for

1111 vs 001111.


> In conclusion what I've found so far is....
> Advanced search doesn't work correctly for partial searches when
> looking for text at the middle or end of a word\number etc (such as
> searching for "me" in "helpme"), it only works from the beginning
> (such as searching for "help" in "helpme")

> Work around:
> If you are using Outlook 2003 and your mailbox is on Exchange 2007
> working within your own mailbox...
> Advanced find will only work properly if you turn on cached mode
> (might need to de-activate, log out in, then re-enable, log out
> in).

> BUT if you're accessing a shared mailbox on Exchange 2007 with Outlook
> 2003, it is not as compatible as you might think!
> You' can't search on the first part of a word like you used to be able
> to! Advanced search will only work if you enter the whole word\number
> or the first part of the word\number

> So like a lot of organisations if you're uses are accessing a shared
> mailbox such as a helpdesk, sales, finance etc and they search for
> part of a reference number (for example search 1234 within a reference
> in a subject line of 0001234) it won't work and will be a pain if
> people provide only part of a reference number to search against!

> Has anyone else found this or know if this a bug?


This really isn't an Exchange problem. It's Outlook and it's "Instant

Search" and the O/S and it's desktop search.

-
Rich Matheisen

 

Similar threads

Top