Emails being automatically deleted from Inbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Midwest Muskie

We have a user that is using Outlook 2007 (I blieve SP2), and is running in

cached mode. Her ost file is about 3.5 GB. She does not seem to have any

problem sending emails, but is having new messages hitting her Inbox being

automatically shift-deleted. The problem goes away when I turn off cached

mode so I suspected a problem with her ost file. I had her run the

scanost.ext utility to repair any problems, but the problem persists. When I

open her mailbox from another machine, I can see the shift-deleted messages

when I use the Recover Deleted Items from her Inbox. I am at a loss as to

where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
 
K

K. Orland

With Outlook closed, delete her OST file. It will recreate itself.

"Midwest Muskie" <MidwestMuskie> wrote in message

news:B1B78113-3316-4F84-89D5-8ED3C19C564B@microsoft.com...
> We have a user that is using Outlook 2007 (I blieve SP2), and is running


in
> cached mode. Her ost file is about 3.5 GB. She does not seem to have any
> problem sending emails, but is having new messages hitting her Inbox being
> automatically shift-deleted. The problem goes away when I turn off cached
> mode so I suspected a problem with her ost file. I had her run the
> scanost.ext utility to repair any problems, but the problem persists.


When I
> open her mailbox from another machine, I can see the shift-deleted


messages
> when I use the Recover Deleted Items from her Inbox. I am at a loss as to
> where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Mike
 
M

Midwest Muskie

I forgot to mention that not all new messages are being Shift-Deleted. If I

do a recovery of those that are, the appear in the Inbox, but only stay for a

minute or so and then disappear again. Then I see the in the Inbox recovery

area again.

Really strange!

Mike

"Midwest Muskie" wrote:


> We have a user that is using Outlook 2007 (I blieve SP2), and is running in
> cached mode. Her ost file is about 3.5 GB. She does not seem to have any
> problem sending emails, but is having new messages hitting her Inbox being
> automatically shift-deleted. The problem goes away when I turn off cached
> mode so I suspected a problem with her ost file. I had her run the
> scanost.ext utility to repair any problems, but the problem persists. When I
> open her mailbox from another machine, I can see the shift-deleted messages
> when I use the Recover Deleted Items from her Inbox. I am at a loss as to
> where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Mike
 
M

Midwest Muskie

I had hopped to avoid doing this because she has a relatively large file (
3.5 GB) and is a remote user so the rebuild would have to be over the WAN.

That's why I chose to try the scanost.exe utility first. You may be right,

however. Have you experienced this type of symptom with corrupted ost files??

Thanks for your quick response!

Mike

"K. Orland" wrote:


> With Outlook closed, delete her OST file. It will recreate itself.

> "Midwest Muskie" <MidwestMuskie> wrote in message
> news:B1B78113-3316-4F84-89D5-8ED3C19C564B@microsoft.com...
> > We have a user that is using Outlook 2007 (I blieve SP2), and is running

> in
> > cached mode. Her ost file is about 3.5 GB. She does not seem to have any
> > problem sending emails, but is having new messages hitting her Inbox being
> > automatically shift-deleted. The problem goes away when I turn off cached
> > mode so I suspected a problem with her ost file. I had her run the
> > scanost.ext utility to repair any problems, but the problem persists.

> When I
> > open her mailbox from another machine, I can see the shift-deleted

> messages
> > when I use the Recover Deleted Items from her Inbox. I am at a loss as to
> > where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> > Thanks,
> > Mike


>
 
K

K. Orland

I don't have any users utilizing cached mode.

"Midwest Muskie" <MidwestMuskie> wrote in message

news:9F8B7FA6-BE62-4974-89D0-C69BD0E4A13E@microsoft.com...
> I had hopped to avoid doing this because she has a relatively large file


(>
> 3.5 GB) and is a remote user so the rebuild would have to be over the WAN.
> That's why I chose to try the scanost.exe utility first. You may be


right,
> however. Have you experienced this type of symptom with corrupted ost


files??

> Thanks for your quick response!
> Mike

> "K. Orland" wrote:
>
> > With Outlook closed, delete her OST file. It will recreate itself.
> > "Midwest Muskie" <MidwestMuskie> wrote in


message
> > news:B1B78113-3316-4F84-89D5-8ED3C19C564B@microsoft.com...
> > > We have a user that is using Outlook 2007 (I blieve SP2), and is


running
> > in
> > > cached mode. Her ost file is about 3.5 GB. She does not seem to have


any
> > > problem sending emails, but is having new messages hitting her Inbox


being
> > > automatically shift-deleted. The problem goes away when I turn off


cached
> > > mode so I suspected a problem with her ost file. I had her run the
> > > scanost.ext utility to repair any problems, but the problem persists.

> > When I
> > > open her mailbox from another machine, I can see the shift-deleted

> > messages
> > > when I use the Recover Deleted Items from her Inbox. I am at a loss


as to
> > > where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> > > > Thanks,
> > > Mike

> >
 
K

K. Orland

Does this behaviour stop if you open Outlook in safe mode?

Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe

"Midwest Muskie" <MidwestMuskie> wrote in message

news:D852F13A-8987-4AF7-B346-DC2FC75476E2@microsoft.com...
> I forgot to mention that not all new messages are being Shift-Deleted. If


I
> do a recovery of those that are, the appear in the Inbox, but only stay


for a
> minute or so and then disappear again. Then I see the in the Inbox


recovery
> area again.

> Really strange!

> Mike

> "Midwest Muskie" wrote:
>
> > We have a user that is using Outlook 2007 (I blieve SP2), and is running


in
> > cached mode. Her ost file is about 3.5 GB. She does not seem to have


any
> > problem sending emails, but is having new messages hitting her Inbox


being
> > automatically shift-deleted. The problem goes away when I turn off


cached
> > mode so I suspected a problem with her ost file. I had her run the
> > scanost.ext utility to repair any problems, but the problem persists.


When I
> > open her mailbox from another machine, I can see the shift-deleted


messages
> > when I use the Recover Deleted Items from her Inbox. I am at a loss as


to
> > where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> > Thanks,
> > Mike
 
B

Brian Tillman

"Midwest Muskie" <MidwestMuskie> wrote in message

news:B1B78113-3316-4F84-89D5-8ED3C19C564B@microsoft.com...


> We have a user that is using Outlook 2007 (I blieve SP2), and is running in
> cached mode. Her ost file is about 3.5 GB. She does not seem to have any
> problem sending emails, but is having new messages hitting her Inbox being
> automatically shift-deleted. The problem goes away when I turn off cached
> mode so I suspected a problem with her ost file. I had her run the
> scanost.ext utility to repair any problems, but the problem persists. When
> I
> open her mailbox from another machine, I can see the shift-deleted messages
> when I use the Recover Deleted Items from her Inbox. I am at a loss as to
> where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.


Does she sync with a handheld device? Does she have an antivirus program with

an integrated mail scanner?

--
 
M

Midwest Muskie

Good questions! I have the Symantec Endpoint Protection Outlook scanning

disabled by default because Postini is scanning as well as our Exchange

servers, and we found that the Outlook scanning slows performance

considerably. She is not syncing with a PDA wirelessly, but I haven't

checked to see if she syncing a PDA through her workstation. I will check on

that.

Thanks!

Mike

"Brian Tillman " wrote:


> "Midwest Muskie" <MidwestMuskie> wrote in message
> news:B1B78113-3316-4F84-89D5-8ED3C19C564B@microsoft.com...
>
> > We have a user that is using Outlook 2007 (I blieve SP2), and is running in
> > cached mode. Her ost file is about 3.5 GB. She does not seem to have any
> > problem sending emails, but is having new messages hitting her Inbox being
> > automatically shift-deleted. The problem goes away when I turn off cached
> > mode so I suspected a problem with her ost file. I had her run the
> > scanost.ext utility to repair any problems, but the problem persists. When
> > I
> > open her mailbox from another machine, I can see the shift-deleted messages
> > when I use the Recover Deleted Items from her Inbox. I am at a loss as to
> > where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.


> Does she sync with a handheld device? Does she have an antivirus program with
> an integrated mail scanner?
> >

>
 
B

Brian Tillman

"Midwest Muskie" <MidwestMuskie> wrote in message

news:2CE1A856-A25C-4A2D-9B93-BB401D0A565A@microsoft.com...


> Good questions! I have the Symantec Endpoint Protection Outlook scanning
> disabled by default


Simply disabling the scanning may not be enough to truly disable it. It

should be completely removed.

--
 
M

Midwest Muskie

The problem ended up being related to the member's Junk email settings. She

had extensive lists of "Safe Senders", "Safe Recipients", and "Blocked

Senders". Prior to the upgrade, messages tagged as junk would be moved to

the Junk Email folder. I had implemented an Outlook 2007 policy that turned

off the Junk scanning (wanted to depend on Postini), and permanently deleted

any messages identified as Junk (thought this wouldn't do anything since

scanning was being turned off).

As it turns out, clients running in cached mode continue to scan incoming

email for Junk, and in the member's case, was miss-identifying a number of

incoming emails as Junk. The "permanently delete" portion of the policy was

causing a Shift-Delete operation to occur on the messages (which moves them

to the Inbox recovery area) instead of moving them to the Junk Email folder.

"Midwest Muskie" wrote:


> We have a user that is using Outlook 2007 (I blieve SP2), and is running in
> cached mode. Her ost file is about 3.5 GB. She does not seem to have any
> problem sending emails, but is having new messages hitting her Inbox being
> automatically shift-deleted. The problem goes away when I turn off cached
> mode so I suspected a problem with her ost file. I had her run the
> scanost.ext utility to repair any problems, but the problem persists. When I
> open her mailbox from another machine, I can see the shift-deleted messages
> when I use the Recover Deleted Items from her Inbox. I am at a loss as to
> where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Mike
 
W

wangdong

Advanced Outlook Repair can help to undelete the emails you delete by

mistake. Refer to http://www.datanumen.com/aor/problems/outlook-deleted.htm

for more detailed information.

And visiting http://www.datanumen.com/aor/ can get detailed

information about Advanced Outlook Repair.

And you can also download a free demo version at http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe

Good luck!

Wangdong

On 8月7日, 上午2时21分, Midwest Muskie

<MidwestMus...> wrote:
> We have a user that is usingOutlook2007 (I blieve SP2), and is running in
> cached mode. Her ost file is about 3.5 GB. She does not seem to have any
> problem sending emails, but is having new messages hitting her Inbox being
> automatically shift-deleted. The problem goes away when I turn off cached
> mode so I suspected a problem with her ost file. I had her run the
> scanost.ext utility to repair any problems, but the problem persists. When I
> open her mailbox from another machine, I can see the shift-deleted messages
> when I use the Recover Deleted Items from her Inbox. I am at a lossas to
> where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Mike
 
K

K. Orland

In addition, there is a way to do this from within Outlook - for free!

"wangdong" <wangdong@datanumen.net> wrote in message

news:e23e0693-48a0-4b54-a4ba-4cadfbea4d7d@o32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...

Advanced Outlook Repair can help to undelete the emails you delete by

mistake. Refer to http://www.datanumen.com/aor/problems/outlook-deleted.htm

for more detailed information.

And visiting http://www.datanumen.com/aor/ can get detailed

information about Advanced Outlook Repair.

And you can also download a free demo version at

http://www.datanumen.com/aor/aor.exe

Good luck!

Wangdong

On 8?7?, ??2?21?, Midwest Muskie

<MidwestMus...> wrote:
> We have a user that is usingOutlook2007 (I blieve SP2), and is running in
> cached mode. Her ost file is about 3.5 GB. She does not seem to have any
> problem sending emails, but is having new messages hitting her Inbox being
> automatically shift-deleted. The problem goes away when I turn off cached
> mode so I suspected a problem with her ost file. I had her run the
> scanost.ext utility to repair any problems, but the problem persists. When


I
> open her mailbox from another machine, I can see the shift-deleted


messages
> when I use the Recover Deleted Items from her Inbox. I am at a loss as to
> where to go next. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Mike
 

sophia anna

Member
Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Automatically delete email is not a small problem because it may create big issues to you. So, you need to fix this problem urgently.

This problem generally occur through many reason like registry corruption, virus attack, hard ware failure etc. However, you can easily recover your deleted email through third party repair tool. And throughout this you easy outlook email recovery or also fix all problem related to your outlook.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Emails being archived when I press the A key accidentally - how do I stop this? Using Outlook 0
T Compacting Outlook 2010 OST results in old emails being re-sent Using Outlook 6
M Emails being sent to Inbox and IPM_Subtree Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
B Saved emails in folders I created on left of screen are being erased as I open each folder Using Outlook 0
P Threat to being a spammer while sending automatic Emails through VBA Using Outlook 3
E Sent Emails not being saved Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
Q After being read, emails disappear Using Outlook 8
U Outlook on the iPhone cannot approve filtered Emails Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 365 After migrating to Outlook 365, some contacts display in emails with prefixes Using Outlook 0
B Move emails from one account to another Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Unable to view older emails in desktop app Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 365 Help me create a Macro to make some received emails into tasks? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Outlook 2021 Having problem setting up outlook 2021 with windows 11. I have 3 gmail accounts and I want the 3 gmail, emails to merge into the same outlook input. Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
S Outlook 2021 Can you make emails from 3 word domains "safe" by entering top 2 word domain into Safe List in Outlook? Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 365 Emails showing as links and text only Using Outlook 4
G Removing old emails when adding accounts Using Outlook 3
N VBA Macro To Save Emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Horsepower Lost emails Using Outlook 4
P Emails assigned with a certain category (within a shared inbox) to be copied to a specific folder. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Saving emails using Visual Basic - Selecting folder with msoFileDialogFolderPicker Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
N Save emails within a certain date range to network drive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M I cant send emails via Outlook in my W10 PC. Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Can emails from Gmail be deleted when they are downloaded to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
D Wrong email address in Outlook 2003 "From" tab in new outgoing emails Using Outlook 4
witzker How to find all emails from and to a contact in OL 2019 Using Outlook 6
S How to find emails that I sent that have not received a reply? Using Outlook 7
M Extract "Date sent" from emails (saved to folder using drag and drop) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Sent emails show iCloud mail account not the alias Using Outlook 2
K Run a script rule to auto 'send again' on undeliverable emails? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J how to stop junk emails from *.onmicrosoft.com ? Using Outlook 2
FryW Need help modifying a VBA script for in coming emails to auto set custom reminder time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Auto forward for multiple emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M All fonts in Outlook emails display with exaggerated character spacing Using Outlook 4
L Images not displaying in emails sent to self Using Outlook 2
C Icons (arrows) not showing on emails forwarded or replied to Using Outlook 8
R Moved 6 months worth (approx 1500 emails) lost from moving from TPG inbox to Icloud inbox (folders) Using Outlook 3
U Approving Emails from iPhone Using Outlook 0
D cannot view emails in View pane (in the right pane), I only see one line or nothing Using Outlook 21
A Macro to file emails into subfolder based on subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Help creating a VBA macro with conditional formatting to change the font color of all external emails to red Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
A Record opened emails for reopening later Using Outlook 2
Y Filter unread emails in a search folder vba help Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook 2016 Change how Outlook shows me contacts in emails Using Outlook 0
T Outlook creating unwanted tasks in Tasks and Todo from emails Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2016 Outlook crashes when trying to print certain emails Using Outlook 5
L IMAP Emails Disappear Using Outlook 0
L Need help modifying a VBA script for emails stuck in Outbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
S Macro to extract and modify links from emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D Duplicate Emails on Phone and Tablet Using Outlook 0

Similar threads

Top