Help restoring lost email from my laptop backup

  • Thread starter Lanew
  • Start date Views 1,749
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lanew

I somehow lost many months worth of emails in my desktop Outlook 2003. My

"backup", if you will, is my notebook, which has the emails on it. Since I

cant figure out where the emails on teh desktop went (no, not in deleted

items) I'd like to export from notebook to desktop - but I dont want to do

that with year's of emails, just the ones I've lost - how would I

export/import for just a particular date range?

Thanks
 
D

dlw

there is a filter button in the export screen.

NOTE, if you copy the resulting pst file via CD, once it's on the desktop,

you need to right click it and uncheck the read only attribute.

NOTE, in outlook on the desktop, DO NOT import the file, open it with a

File/Open/Outlook data file.

"Lanew" wrote:


> I somehow lost many months worth of emails in my desktop Outlook 2003. My
> "backup", if you will, is my notebook, which has the emails on it. Since I
> cant figure out where the emails on teh desktop went (no, not in deleted
> items) I'd like to export from notebook to desktop - but I dont want to do
> that with year's of emails, just the ones I've lost - how would I
> export/import for just a particular date range?

> Thanks
 
D

DL

Outlook doesnt lose mail, if its stored in the data file.

Presumably you've run a search for specific mail you believe to be missing?

What type of mail account are you using that gives you a duplicate on your

notebook?

"Lanew" <Lanew> wrote in message

news:A201D31D-A688-460E-8B5F-7C0B9B1828E0@microsoft.com...
> I somehow lost many months worth of emails in my desktop Outlook 2003. My
> "backup", if you will, is my notebook, which has the emails on it. Since
> I
> cant figure out where the emails on teh desktop went (no, not in deleted
> items) I'd like to export from notebook to desktop - but I dont want to do
> that with year's of emails, just the ones I've lost - how would I
> export/import for just a particular date range?

> Thanks
 
L

Lanew

DL

I'm using POP3 accounts, set up on both computers so I get the emails on

both (with the option selected to leave messages on the server so they

download to both machines)

Now, as to your point about searching for lost mails - I just did and I

THINK that I found them on a search - but I dont know WHERE it found them or

how to find them all and move them back to the inbox. I"m guessing that I

somehow filtered them or??

What can I do next?

"DL" wrote:


> Outlook doesnt lose mail, if its stored in the data file.
> Presumably you've run a search for specific mail you believe to be missing?
> What type of mail account are you using that gives you a duplicate on your
> notebook?

> "Lanew" <Lanew> wrote in message
> news:A201D31D-A688-460E-8B5F-7C0B9B1828E0@microsoft.com...
> >I somehow lost many months worth of emails in my desktop Outlook 2003. My
> > "backup", if you will, is my notebook, which has the emails on it. Since
> > I
> > cant figure out where the emails on teh desktop went (no, not in deleted
> > items) I'd like to export from notebook to desktop - but I dont want to do
> > that with year's of emails, just the ones I've lost - how would I
> > export/import for just a particular date range?
> > Thanks


>
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Lanew" <Lanew> wrote in message

news:21256800-0EF4-4B0F-8A8D-3BA0BAC5A857@microsoft.com...


> Now, as to your point about searching for lost mails - I just did and I
> THINK that I found them on a search - but I dont know WHERE it found them or
> how to find them all and move them back to the inbox. I"m guessing that I
> somehow filtered them or??


The pane showing the search results should have an "In Folder" column that

will tell you in what folder the messages lie. If it's not the folder where

you want them, open that folder in a window, then select the messages in the

search window and drag them to the correct folder.

--
 
L

Lanew

I cant find the "In Folder" column that you refer too. I show Subject,

Received, From, etc, but no "In Folder". Am I looking in the wrong place?

"Brian Tillman " wrote:


> "Lanew" <Lanew> wrote in message
> news:21256800-0EF4-4B0F-8A8D-3BA0BAC5A857@microsoft.com...
>
> > Now, as to your point about searching for lost mails - I just did and I
> > THINK that I found them on a search - but I dont know WHERE it found them or
> > how to find them all and move them back to the inbox. I"m guessing that I
> > somehow filtered them or??


> The pane showing the search results should have an "In Folder" column that
> will tell you in what folder the messages lie. If it's not the folder where
> you want them, open that folder in a window, then select the messages in the
> search window and drag them to the correct folder.
> >

>
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Lanew" <Lanew> wrote in message

news:2321D51F-8CAA-4B9E-828A-0BA06F9070BD@microsoft.com...


> I cant find the "In Folder" column that you refer too. I show Subject,
> Received, From, etc, but no "In Folder". Am I looking in the wrong place?


How did you perform the search? What did you click?

--
 
L

Lanew

Used "Find" in the top bar.... put in a subject from one of the missing mails

"Brian Tillman " wrote:


> "Lanew" <Lanew> wrote in message
> news:2321D51F-8CAA-4B9E-828A-0BA06F9070BD@microsoft.com...
>
> >I cant find the "In Folder" column that you refer too. I show Subject,
> > Received, From, etc, but no "In Folder". Am I looking in the wrong place?


> How did you perform the search? What did you click?
> >

>
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Lanew" <Lanew> wrote in message

news:B28A3413-C88B-4BBA-8C24-AA17527E7EB1@microsoft.com...


> Used "Find" in the top bar.... put in a subject from one of the missing
> mails


Try Advanced Find.(Ctrl+Shift+F). Does that make a difference?

--
 
L

Lanew

It turns out that I did NOT have the lost emails in other folders on the

desktop - so I have to go the route described below of importing from my

notebook. But I dont follow what you are saying about:

"DO NOT import the file, open it with a File/Open/Outlook data file."

Can you explain the procedure please?

Thanks for your help

"dlw" wrote:


> there is a filter button in the export screen.
> NOTE, if you copy the resulting pst file via CD, once it's on the desktop,
> you need to right click it and uncheck the read only attribute.
> NOTE, in outlook on the desktop,

> "Lanew" wrote:
>
> > I somehow lost many months worth of emails in my desktop Outlook 2003. My
> > "backup", if you will, is my notebook, which has the emails on it. Since I
> > cant figure out where the emails on teh desktop went (no, not in deleted
> > items) I'd like to export from notebook to desktop - but I dont want to do
> > that with year's of emails, just the ones I've lost - how would I
> > export/import for just a particular date range?
> > Thanks
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Lanew" <Lanew> wrote in message

news:EFB25819-2E04-4705-9DB3-2521DB859949@microsoft.com...


> It turns out that I did NOT have the lost emails in other folders on the
> desktop - so I have to go the route described below of importing from my
> notebook. But I dont follow what you are saying about:
> "DO NOT import the file, open it with a File/Open/Outlook data file."

> Can you explain the procedure please?


See this:: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

--
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads


Top