Adding multiple contacts to a new distribution list

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darran

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how I might add a multiple selection of highlighted

contacts from my contact list to a new distribution list (already created)?

i.e. If I highlight a load of contacts, there doesn't appear to be a way to

copy then paste (or drag and drop) them into an existing distribution list.

I ask this because when "selecting members" from the dlist itself, there are

very fiew header fields (in the contacts list window that opens up) to choose

from, and in any case these columns can't be sorted so the only way to add

multiple contacts from the same company is to scroll through the whole lot

and look at their email address, adding one by one as you go.

Many thanks

Darran
 

Brian Tillman

Senior Member
"Darran" <Darran> wrote in message

news:C24B32C1-9012-4B86-B0A3-76B3DDC5A619@microsoft.com...


> Can anyone tell me how I might add a multiple selection of highlighted
> contacts from my contact list to a new distribution list (already created)?
> i.e. If I highlight a load of contacts, there doesn't appear to be a way to
> copy then paste (or drag and drop) them into an existing distribution list.


No. You add members to a DL using the Select Members button.


> I ask this because when "selecting members" from the dlist itself, there are
> very fiew header fields (in the contacts list window that opens up) to
> choose
> from, and in any case these columns can't be sorted so the only way to add
> multiple contacts from the same company is to scroll through the whole lot
> and look at their email address, adding one by one as you go.


Why not use categories instead?

--
 
D

Darran

Categories...?

OK, I get categories, or at least I get that I can 'tag' all the contacts I

want with a category. However you can't sort on that column to group them

together, then higfhlight and email to all, and you still can't use

Categories when your in a dlist and trying to add names to that dlist.

Can you expand on how you think categories might help?

Thanks

"Brian Tillman " wrote:


> "Darran" <Darran> wrote in message
> news:C24B32C1-9012-4B86-B0A3-76B3DDC5A619@microsoft.com...
>
> > Can anyone tell me how I might add a multiple selection of highlighted
> > contacts from my contact list to a new distribution list (already created)?
> > i.e. If I highlight a load of contacts, there doesn't appear to be a way to
> > copy then paste (or drag and drop) them into an existing distribution list.


> No. You add members to a DL using the Select Members button.
>
> > I ask this because when "selecting members" from the dlist itself, there are
> > very fiew header fields (in the contacts list window that opens up) to
> > choose
> > from, and in any case these columns can't be sorted so the only way to add
> > multiple contacts from the same company is to scroll through the whole lot
> > and look at their email address, adding one by one as you go.


> Why not use categories instead?
> >

>
 
G

Gordon

"Darran" <Darran> wrote in message

news:3363D50B-8FA7-44A0-9678-DC6C90573C06@microsoft.com...
> Categories...?

> OK, I get categories, or at least I get that I can 'tag' all the contacts
> I
> want with a category. However you can't sort on that column to group them
> together, then higfhlight and email to all,


yes you can. View Contacts by Category, highlight the Category name and do

Actions-Create-New Mail to Contact.

And Categories are a far easier way to manage "distribution" lists as each

contact can belong to multiple categories, but you only have the one contact

data source, whereas in D/Ls you have to add each contact separately to each

D/L...
 
D

Darran

Sounds good, I'll give that a whirl!

Many thanks

"Gordon" wrote:



> "Darran" <Darran> wrote in message
> news:3363D50B-8FA7-44A0-9678-DC6C90573C06@microsoft.com...
> > Categories...?
> > OK, I get categories, or at least I get that I can 'tag' all the contacts
> > I
> > want with a category. However you can't sort on that column to group them
> > together, then higfhlight and email to all,


> yes you can. View Contacts by Category, highlight the Category name and do
> Actions-Create-New Mail to Contact.
> And Categories are a far easier way to manage "distribution" lists as each
> contact can belong to multiple categories, but you only have the one contact
> data source, whereas in D/Ls you have to add each contact separately to each
> D/L...

>
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top