turn Outlook into a Drag-and-drop application

Status
Not open for further replies.

assagai

Goal:

Make outlook 1910 (sorry I meant 2010) fully compatible with drag-and-drop

Problems:

In many cases Drag-and-drop does not work. Here are few examples

1) If a contact is dragged to a “contact filed” of an element (e.g. task) no link is created

2) A graphic file cannot be dropped to a picture area in a contact

3) Partial support for creating a task from a e-mail:

a. A link to a contact is not automatically created for a task

b. If a message was flagged due date in a task still remains unfilled

c. If an e-mail contains attachments there is no option to create an element with original attachments (you can only create an element with the original e-mail as attachment)

I am sure there are much more instances of Drag-and-drop absence

solution:

turn Outlook into a truly Drag-and-drop application

Forum Admin

3) Partial support for creating a task from a e-mail:

a. A link to a contact is not automatically created for a task

b. If a message was flagged due date in a task still remains unfilled

c. If an e-mail contains attachments there is no option to create an element with original attachments (you can only create an element with the original e-mail as attachment)

I am sure there are much more instances of Drag-and-drop absence

solution:

turn Outlook into a truly Drag-and-drop application

On c. You can drag attachment from the open message or the reading pane to the task. It's an extra step, but is easier than always opening the attached email to view the attachment.

The reasoning for not making it easier to add attachments is file size - back when much of the task functionality was completed, mailbox sizes were generally limited and attachments in tasks (and journal) are often forgotten as the cause of 'overquota' messages. Mailboxes are generally larger now and the PST is not restricted to 2 GB, but little has been done to the task feature since the early days.

assagai

On c. You can drag attachment from the open message or the reading pane to the task. It's an extra step, but is easier than always opening the attached email to view the attachment.

that's how I solve the problem now

it's more than 1 extra step:

1) you have to open an e-mail

2) you have to realign task and e-mail windows (alternatively you could use task bar but in my case it's buggy)

3) drag attachments

maybe I am too grouchy but I feel irritated when I have to to do all this extra work, which could've been done in 1 move

The reasoning for not making it easier to add attachments is file size - back when much of the task functionality was completed, mailbox sizes were generally limited and attachments in tasks (and journal) are often forgotten as the cause of 'overquota' messages. Mailboxes are generally larger now and the PST is not restricted to 2 GB, but little has been done to the task feature since the early days.

I can understand the historical perspective here

however I hope that outlook development team can keep up with the current situation and change their thinking respectively

eliminating of obsolete restrictions is a good way to start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L How do you turn off Outlook contacts "hints" popup Using Outlook 2
A remove or turn off outlook.com contact folder from outlook 2016 Using Outlook 4
W Outlook Desktop alert, notification, popup - turn off programattic Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R How do I turn off the Business Contact Manager startup in Outlook BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
H How turn off outlook security warning dialog box from outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T E-mails marked as read turn back to unread after a couple of seconds Using Outlook 1
Q Prompt button to auto turn on Out of Office Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Where is the setting to *turn off* open calendar in a new window? Using Outlook 3
N How to turn off autocorrect in contact notepads Using Outlook 2
A Stop Rule (not turn off) that Delays Outgoing Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Emails automatically forwarding but no rule to turn off Using Outlook 2
R How to turn OFF the Reminders for shared calendar events but not off personal Using Outlook 1
K Appointments turn into meeting requests Using Outlook 0
O How to turn off the prompt to permanently delete messages upon exiting? Using Outlook 2
C SQLDUMPER library does not turn on correctly when the computer isturned on each time. BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
E Turn application visibility off Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
V turn off shared calender reminders/leaving personal calender remin Using Outlook 7
D Wrong email address in Outlook 2003 "From" tab in new outgoing emails Using Outlook 0
B Outlook 365 Populate Outlook Task UDFs from a UDF text string Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
witzker Outlook 2019 Pls. add a Prefix for OUTLOOK 2019 here Using Outlook 1
H Outlook 2019 intermittent search results Using Outlook 0
hstein POP3 latest Outlook Using Outlook 0
V Outlook 2003 and Windows 11 Using Outlook 4
J How to import many msg into different public folders in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
I Outlook for Mac 2019 using on desktop and laptop IMAP on both need help with folders Using Outlook 1
A Reminder duplication Outlook and Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
F Moving Outlook to new PC Using Outlook 0
mll persistently customise columns in outlook advanced search Using Outlook 3
Ken Pascoe Outlook Categories Quick List Using Outlook 0
M All fonts in Outlook emails display with exaggerated character spacing Using Outlook 1
talla Can't open Outlook Item. Using Outlook 0
C Can't Locate an Unread Message in my Outlook view pane Using Outlook 0
C Outlook 2007 Removing then adding account restores junk email processing Using Outlook 0
P Importing other e-mail accounts into Outlook Using Outlook 1
J Read Outlook Form fields Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B Inconsistent handling of message read/unread status by Outlook Using Outlook 3
R Rogue Outlook Rule ? Using Outlook 2
S vba outlook search string with special characters Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F Wishlist Outlook suddenly began synchronizing deleted items every time I delete a single email. Using Outlook 2
U Outlook 2019 VBA run-time error 424 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Outlook 2019 Randomly Disconnecting from Gmail Servers Using Outlook 8
P Outlook calendar and contacts sync problem-outlook disconnects Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
HarvMan Toggle between calendar and email in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 12
V Outlook error 500 Using Outlook 2
F Email being marked as Spam by Gmail and not being visible in Outlook Using Outlook 5
S Mac Outlook 365 Questions Using Outlook 1
M Outlook calendar is missing Using Outlook 2
G Save and Rename Outlook Email Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G Trigger script without restaring outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
T Have you written an articles about Outlook? Using Outlook 3