Portable outlook – pst as universal storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

assagai

Portable outlook pst as universal storage

Portable outlook – pst as universal storage

Goal: create a portable unified storage container format for Outlook data and settings

Apparently to some extent this has been implemented in outlook 2007. Recently I had had a major PC crush and restored outlook with the help of backed up pst file.

To my surprise some of the rules and RSS feds reappeared under the new installation. This is a move in the right direction.

In my opinion pst should store all the information related to Outlook:

1) Accounts and send / receive groups. I’ve got a dozen of them with different settings and it’s pain in neck to configure everything from scratch

2) RSS feeds

3) Junk mail filter addresses and domains (both safe and blocked).there were several hundreds of them and it’ll take me a while to configure it again

4) rules

5) Options, settings and personalized ribbon

6) views

there are some security issues (e.g. account passwords) but I would let it for a user to decide.

For instance it’s possible to implement an option NOT to store passwords in the file itself

Forum Admin

Re: Portable outlook pst as universal storage

Views have always been stored in the PST file.

Rules & RSS/internet calendars are, beginning in 2007.

I thought safe and blocked lists are now in the pst too.

assagai

Views have always been stored in the PST file.

Rules & RSS/internet calendars are, beginning in 2007.

I thought safe and blocked lists are now in the pst too.

I cannot generalize but when i transfered my pst to new outlook safe and blocked lists were lost completely

half of my RSS feeds were lost too

e-mail Accounts and send / receive groups are definitely not stored in pst

hopefully someone would be able to verify RSS and junk mail issue

Forum Admin

I cannot generalize but when i transfered my pst to new outlook safe and blocked lists were lost completely

half of my RSS feeds were lost too

e-mail Accounts and send / receive groups are definitely not stored in pst

hopefully someone would be able to verify RSS and junk mail issue
RSS is buggy in Outlook 2007 - the feeds often disappear, so I'm not surprised you lost some when you moved. Are you using the common feed list?

Send and recieve groups are stored in the SRS file. It's in one of the outlook folders under %appdata%. Profiles (accounts) are 100% registry.

assagai

RSS is buggy in Outlook 2007 - the feeds often disappear, so I'm not surprised you lost some when you moved. Are you using the common feed list?

I've noticed that RSS is buggy in Outlook and even consider posting a separate thread on this regard.

I do not use the common feed list and even if I had this would not have helped me: I backed up only my user folder, which contains all the data I need

Send and recieve groups are stored in the SRS file. It's in one of the outlook folders under %appdata%. Profiles (accounts) are 100% registry.

rules used to be 100% registry too. Hence I welcome the new storage policy and shifting to pst as the primary storage location but I do not understand what the rationale is for stopping half the way.

as a matter of fact, this the point of this thread: move everything into pst

and make sure that whatever items, which are already in PST, work properly

this referres not only to RSS, which were partially lost in my case but also to safe and blocked lists, which had been completely lost for me (probably 1000+ entries or even more)

shivy

not working and i would like to have a portable outlook program to have my pst also portable...
anyone knows where to find a program like this ?
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Portable MS Outlook or similar using PST Using Outlook 0
J Identifying Portable Devices in Outlook Header Using Outlook 3
S storing my email on a portable disc and reading them at a later time as i would in outlook Using Outlook 1
T Digital Certificates, portable device access Exchange Server Administration 4
M Office 2016 Outlook is forgetting passwords Using Outlook 0
G How to add a folder shortcut to outlook quick access toolbar? Using Outlook 5
W Outlook WAS facebook but there is no info for old accounts Using Outlook 0
E Can one still buy Outlook (or Office) 2016? Using Outlook 6
G Add to Outlook Contacts - Point to non-default contacts folder Using Outlook 0
E Outlook view grouping keeps changing Using Outlook 3
Wayne Outlook locks up when opening "Manage Rules & Alerts" Using Outlook 3
G Personal Settings within Outlook Using Outlook 3
M Outlook 2013 reminder email by using Outlook vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H Outlook 2019 Certificate error Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2013 erratically deleting original file that is attached Using Outlook 0
V Outlook Forms: Formatting a Label with 2 different styles Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Outlook 2016 Outlook randomly unhides from taskbar Using Outlook 12
X Using Outlook 2013 and Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
V Date and/or time error in Outlook Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Sending email from Office 365 alias in Outlook Using Outlook 4
B Spam folder not showing in Outlook Using Outlook 5
ThinkToday Calculate reply time of outlook mail Using Outlook 1
M Microsoft 365 Outlook keeps requesting password on Local Account Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I think it may be time to upgrade from Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
K Outlook 2016 Outlook, Chrome, and Clio Using Outlook 5
O Outlook tasks - Add text column with multiple lines Using Outlook 3
A Run-time error '430' on certain emails when trying to set "Outlook.mailitem" as "ActiveExplorer.Selection.Item" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
HarvMan Outlook 365 PST Report Using Outlook 1
V Upgraded Outlook Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 Outlook/Win7 Client logging Event ID 36887 Using Outlook 0
R How to get the Items object of the default mailbox of a specific account in a multiple account Outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 2
M In Outlook Calendar remove the buttons: 'Today' and '<' (Back a day) and '>' (Forward a day) that are below the Ribbon and above the calendar display. Using Outlook 0
J Moved many emails to Outlook external folder, need to delete on Gmail server Using Outlook 13
P Scheduling a meeting in Outlook Outlook Wishlist 4
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
R Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook Has Become Sluggish Using Outlook 14
HarvMan Outlook 365 Calendar Using Outlook 12
A calendar invites sent from Microsoft Outlook to Mac Outlook is not working Calendar Printing Assistant 3
L Outlook 2016 Contacts missing in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
R seperate read layout to design in outlook 2016..Help!! Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
A Outlook replies not using "delivered to" address in From Using Outlook 1
GregS Why is Outlook 2016 mail in Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
G Recurring tasks break links Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 5
L Outlook saved email templates Using Outlook 1
P Outlook for Mac - emails are not sent out beginning last week Using Outlook 1
V Gmail in Outlook Using Outlook 2
D Outlook VBA error extracting property data from GetRules collection Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10