Portable outlook – pst as universal storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

assagai

Portable outlook pst as universal storage

Portable outlook – pst as universal storage

Goal: create a portable unified storage container format for Outlook data and settings

Apparently to some extent this has been implemented in outlook 2007. Recently I had had a major PC crush and restored outlook with the help of backed up pst file.

To my surprise some of the rules and RSS feds reappeared under the new installation. This is a move in the right direction.

In my opinion pst should store all the information related to Outlook:

1) Accounts and send / receive groups. I’ve got a dozen of them with different settings and it’s pain in neck to configure everything from scratch

2) RSS feeds

3) Junk mail filter addresses and domains (both safe and blocked).there were several hundreds of them and it’ll take me a while to configure it again

4) rules

5) Options, settings and personalized ribbon

6) views

there are some security issues (e.g. account passwords) but I would let it for a user to decide.

For instance it’s possible to implement an option NOT to store passwords in the file itself

Forum Admin

Re: Portable outlook pst as universal storage

Views have always been stored in the PST file.

Rules & RSS/internet calendars are, beginning in 2007.

I thought safe and blocked lists are now in the pst too.

assagai

Views have always been stored in the PST file.

Rules & RSS/internet calendars are, beginning in 2007.

I thought safe and blocked lists are now in the pst too.

I cannot generalize but when i transfered my pst to new outlook safe and blocked lists were lost completely

half of my RSS feeds were lost too

e-mail Accounts and send / receive groups are definitely not stored in pst

hopefully someone would be able to verify RSS and junk mail issue

Forum Admin

I cannot generalize but when i transfered my pst to new outlook safe and blocked lists were lost completely

half of my RSS feeds were lost too

e-mail Accounts and send / receive groups are definitely not stored in pst

hopefully someone would be able to verify RSS and junk mail issue

RSS is buggy in Outlook 2007 - the feeds often disappear, so I'm not surprised you lost some when you moved. Are you using the common feed list?

Send and recieve groups are stored in the SRS file. It's in one of the outlook folders under %appdata%. Profiles (accounts) are 100% registry.

assagai

RSS is buggy in Outlook 2007 - the feeds often disappear, so I'm not surprised you lost some when you moved. Are you using the common feed list?

I've noticed that RSS is buggy in Outlook and even consider posting a separate thread on this regard.

I do not use the common feed list and even if I had this would not have helped me: I backed up only my user folder, which contains all the data I need

Send and recieve groups are stored in the SRS file. It's in one of the outlook folders under %appdata%. Profiles (accounts) are 100% registry.

rules used to be 100% registry too. Hence I welcome the new storage policy and shifting to pst as the primary storage location but I do not understand what the rationale is for stopping half the way.

as a matter of fact, this the point of this thread: move everything into pst

and make sure that whatever items, which are already in PST, work properly

this referres not only to RSS, which were partially lost in my case but also to safe and blocked lists, which had been completely lost for me (probably 1000+ entries or even more)

shivy

not working and i would like to have a portable outlook program to have my pst also portable...
anyone knows where to find a program like this ?
thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.