Tammy

Hello,

We recently moved from an inhouse Exchange server to a hosted Exchange

Server 2007 solution.

The users in the office still login to a local domain for other apps (server

will be shutdown shortly) and are using Outlook Anywhere to connect to the

external Exchange 2007 server.

When they launch Outlook they are prompted for their password and they tick

the box to save the info but they are still intermittently prompted.

I have confirmed that the info is correct in Manage Passwords....Outlook is

set for NTLM authentication...did a suggested registry change

(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820281) but they are

still being prompted for a password.

I'm hoping that someone has some other ideas on how to fix this - not sure

if there is something else to be done on the Exchange server or the

workstations (XP Pro/Vista/Windows 7).

Thank you!

Tammy

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
We finally fixed it by saving the network passwords in the Windows user accounts, publishing the certificate locally, and adding the domain to the trusted or intranet security group in IE's Options.

I don't know which one was the key - we had already given up on saving the outlook passwords (plus its more secure) but wanted to save the sharepoint password. We did all three of the above and sharepoint worked- a few days later we realized outlook was remembering passwords.

Our setup - computers do not log into network. If you are logging into a different network, these fixes might not work.

hacker

Do you mind going into detail about what you mean by "saving the network passwords in the Windows user accounts"? If I log into Windows with the account name of "John Q. Public", and my Outlook profile is "publicjq", how do I save my Outlook password (i.e. the one I use to access the Exchange server) with my local Windows profile which has a completely different naming convention?

I'd love to not be prompted for my password every time, and the only solution I've found is to use OutlookAutologin, which is clunky, and still stores the login password in cleartext in %USER%.

I'd love to hear how you solved this, if you can go into a bit more detail about the steps you took below.

Thanks in advance!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Go into the User accounts in Windows Control panel and add the user/password to the credential manager. This screen shot is from Win7, but its similar for Vista and XP. We use OutlookAnywhere (rpc over http) and added the domain to the intranet or trusted domains in IE and that seemed to help too, but others say it doesn't matter when they try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.