Copy/paste in outlook & pasted text is in html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacque

i have been using Outlook 2003 for the past 7 years with relatively few complaints. In the past I was able to view a message in my inbox from the Reading Pane, copy text from it, and paste it into a calendar appointment or into the notes field of a contact record. Now when I do that, what actually pastes into the destination looks like HTML code. I have been told that I need to open the email and then copy/paste, but it seems strange that at one time I didn't need to do that. I have also been using XP Pro for past 7 years. Will really appreciate any help with this. I'm sure the solution is staring me right in the face, but I can't see it. Thanks. Jacque

Cathy Rhone

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
Does it work correctly if you open the message to copy? Are you using Word for the editor?

I don't have Outlook 2003 here at home, but 2007 works as expected. I can check it at work tomorrow though.

Jacque

Yes, it works correctly if the message is opened. Yes, using Word as editor. Of course I could just open the email, but I get hundreds of emails a day and respond to most of them, so even a shortcut that saves a few seconds is worth it. Thanks for your help.

Forum Admin

I can't repro it here. We'll see what catherized has to say with her tests.

Do you have all updates installed for Outlook?

Does it work in Safe mode? Close Outlook. Hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon to open in safe mode.

Jacque

I can't repro it here. We'll see what catherized has to say with her tests.

Do you have all updates installed for Outlook?

Does it work in Safe mode? Close Outlook. Hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon to open in safe mode.

Yes, all updates for Outlook have been installed. I have not tried it in Safe Mode but will do so and let you know.

Also, I do not have any add-ins.

When the HTML appears there is also a smart tag with "Paste Options," the choices for which are "Keep source formatting (which appears to be the default) and "Keep text only." I need to find a way to set "Keep text only" as the default.

Cathy Rhone

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
Ah, the smart tag might explain why i couldn't repro it. Take a look at The Tools, Options menu in an opened email message. I think paste options are on the Edit tab. See if any of the smart paste options work for you. To the best of my recollection, you can't set default paste options in 2003, it was a feature added to 2007.

Jacque

Ah, the smart tag might explain why i couldn't repro it. Take a look at The Tools, Options menu in an opened email message. I think paste options are on the Edit tab. See if any of the smart paste options work for you. To the best of my recollection, you can't set default paste options in 2003, it was a feature added to 2007.

There is not an Options Menu in the Tools menu in an opened email. Under Tools the options are: Research; Check Names (which is grayed out); Find All; Forms; Macros; and Customize. Are you sure you are referencing Outlook 2003?

jjbett

editing HTML in Outlook 2010

I have a question you all might be able to help with. I am using Publisher 2010 to create a simple newsletter. Then I'm copying and pasting it into Outlook 2010. When I mail it to myself (to test), it appears to come over as a picture, as though Outlook converted the HTML into a pic. However, I can view source and see that it is HTML. My point is that when I receive the email, I need the ability to edit the text within the newsletter. I don't want to have to edit the HTML code, but should be able to click on the text and edit it. I cannot see how to do this. Any ideas? My reason for doing it, is I need someone who works for me to simply take the email and edit it for several different mailings. He should be able to just edit the email text and then send it out. But it doesn't seem to work. Ideas? Thanks.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Are you sending it then editing or just using send to menu to create the email message? Sent mails aren't editable by default but publisher also converts many elements to html when sending by email. Its usually better to use an html editor instead.

jjbett

Are you sending it then editing or just using send to menu to create the email message? Sent mails aren't editable by default but publisher also converts many elements to html when sending by email. Its usually better to use an html editor instead.

Whether I send from Publisher or copy and then paste into an Outlook email, it seems to lose editing capability after it has been sent. Yes, I'm sure an HTML editor is better, but if you know of any way to retain editable text features after the email has been sent, it would help me. Thanks.

Cathy Rhone

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
first off, Publisher is notorious for converting tables of text into jpg and gif images. Especially nested tables. if they are converted to images, you can't edit. Secondly, its not clear to me when you attempted to edit the 'dent' message - you need to go to Edit, Edit Message to edit set message or you need to reply or Forward.

jjbett

first off, Publisher is notorious for converting tables of text into jpg and gif images. Especially nested tables. if they are converted to images, you can't edit. Secondly, its not clear to me when you attempted to edit the 'dent' message - you need to go to Edit, Edit Message to edit set message or you need to reply or Forward.

That could certainly be true that Publisher often converts. But after I paste the content into Outlook (and even after it is sent and then opened back up as received email), I can still "view source" and it is HTML with my text still showing up (meaning, the text is not just a gif, but remains as text). Since this is the case, it seems I should be able to easily edit the text within Outlook somehow. Don't you think?

Forum Admin

Well, the pictures will be embedded in an HTML page - but if you can actually see the text in the message source, then you need to make sure outlook is in Edit mode.

Where is the message you are trying to edit? Only unsent messages can be edited. If you opened it from the sent folder, inbox or folder in outlook EXCEPT drafts, you need to go into Edit mode.

edit.jpg

Open the message, look on the Move section, Actions button.

jjbett

As an FYI, i just tested it with Bounce and Brocade newsletter templates - all text is converted to jpg.

Thanks for helping. As you noted, there is text in the source code, so it can't just be a jpg, right? I see the actual text that is in the newsletter. As for your question, after I receive the email, I am going up to Action and Edit. So, I'm in edit mode. However, even in Edit mode, the text is unavailable to edit directly within the Outlook window. That's what I find strange. I can even email you the page if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Outlook: copy & paste Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
G outlook 13 copy & paste without losing formatting Using Outlook 1
R Copy/paste mailing address Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 6
S I'm not able to copy and paste on outlook. Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2007 Copy-Paste problems Using Outlook 6
F I cannot highlight text in Microsoft Outlook 2010 e-mails, and copy/paste to the body of another e-m Using Outlook 3
J How to copy and paste in Outlook 2010 ? Using Outlook 3
S Copy/Paste from Office Word 2003 to Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 3
O How do I copy and paste calendar dates in 2010 outlook? Using Outlook 1
N Outlook 2007 - Attachment Copy/Paste issue Using Outlook 1
N User is trying to COPY and PASTE text document in outlook. But the output of copied text is an image. Using Outlook 5
Stilgar Relsik Create a rule to copy text from an email and paste it in the subject line. Using Outlook 1
H Macro to Copy Specific content from Mail Body and Paste to Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
V Copy and paste body and subject and send multiple emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
C Copy Cell value from Excel and paste into current email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
D Open attached CSV, copy newdata and paste it to database CSV Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
O Copy email content and paste into new Word Document using a different font Using Outlook 1
L "sometimes" cant send mail, we have to copy and paste the message and resend? Using Outlook 2
J cannot copy and paste while in list view in-cell editing Using Outlook 1
J OWA copy/paste and drag/drop Question Exchange Server Administration 2
D Problem with Microsoft Office 2010 Clipboard (Copy and Paste) Using Outlook 1
I Office 2003 Crashes when trying to Copy, Paste, or Save with Windows 7 Professional Using Outlook 4
R how to copy a list of email contacts and paste them only as names (not names + email address) Using Outlook 12
C Copy Paste Using Outlook 2
T Cut and paste problems - I copy from internet / word but info does not appear on clipboard, so I can Using Outlook 4
K Copy Entire Email Content - Paste into new Task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K How to copy Contact Item to Clipboard and Paste as "VCF Link? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
S Using copy paste to grab email addresses from the TO: address fiel Using Outlook 14
A Cannot copy this folder because it may contain private items Using Outlook 0
C Copy Move item won't work Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B VBA to convert email to task, insert text of email in task notes, and attach copy of original email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
Commodore Move turns into "copy" Using Outlook 3
C Copy Outlook contact field value to another field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Copy to calendar function no longer working in outlook 365 Using Outlook 5
F Copy and replace not update contact in another pst Using Outlook 0
B Outlook Business Contact Manager with SQL to Excel, User Defined Fields in BCM don't sync in SQL. Can I use VBA code to copy 1 field to another? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
Commodore Folders always closed in move/copy items dialog box Using Outlook 3
N Outlook rules don't create a copy for bcc'ed emails Using Outlook 3
geofferyh Outlook 2010 How to Copy Outlook Attachment to a Specific Folder? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Custom Form, copy user field data to message body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
R Copy Outlook Public Folders to a File Server Shared Folder Using Outlook 0
K Outlook Rules: Move a Copy Using Outlook 4
oliv- HOW TO COPY /USE FOLDERS ICONS Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E Copy e-mail body from outlook and insert into excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B Copy/Move Exchange inbox to Pop inbox Using Outlook 4
R Sending email copy (*.msg file) of sent email if subject line contains specific string. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Copy mails from many subfolders to 1 foldr Using Outlook 2
K ind specific Subject line from outlook and copy the content of the email body to exce Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
K How to find specific header and copy the mail body Using Outlook 0
J Copy or Export Outlook Mail to Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6