Cannot recover my Outlook 2007 Data File after using MS Backup - Kinda Critical as I need my business info!

• Thread starter ColinMcKie
  • Start date Views 1,099
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

ColinMcKie

My laptop (HP, AMD Athlon X2 chip, Windows 7 - 32 Bit) was running Outlook 2007 BCM. I ran Windows backup and backed up the entire hard drive onto an external hard drive, then the next day my motherboard died!

Purchased a new hard drive, motherboard, etc. and built a new computer (runs great!) installed Windows 7 - 64 Bit, MS Office and Outlook 2007 BCM. Ran Windows backup restore command (selected "from another computer") using the command selection to reinstall in the original location (so all the sub-directories were recreated correctly) and it restored all my data files, documents etc - except for OUTLOOK!

I tried to manually copy and insert the file into the OUTLOOK sub directory and also tried the MS OUTLOOK "import data from a PST file" command - each time I got the error message that the file " G:\Outlook\outlook.pst is not a PST file"

So I am stumped - HELP Please! All my essential data is in it and I thought that I had a good backup! Will this file include the Business contact info as well or is there a separate Access DB that I need to find elsewhere and reinstall?

G

Guruprasad Ra

This might help you.

Enable Hidden files view before starting the troubleshooting. Check if hidden files view is enabled. If not, to enable the viewing of hidden and protected system files in Windows Vista follow these steps:
1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.
2. Click on the Start button.
3. Click on the Control Panel option.
4. When the control panel opens you can either be in Classic View or Control Panel Home view.
If you are in the Classic View do the following:
1. Double-click on the Folder Options icon.
2. Click on the View tab.
3. Go to step 5.

If you are in the Control Panel Home view do the following:

1. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link.
2. Click on Show Hidden Files or Folders.
3. Go to step 5.

5. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.
7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.
8. Click on Apply and Ok, after the hidden files view is enabled perform the steps below.

Method 1:

Importing a PST-file can only be done when Outlook is working (i.e. when you"ve reinstalled your machine, configured Outlook and then restore your Inbox and Contacts etc).

Before importing, restore your PST -file.
Copy the file to the location where you want to work with it for Ex. D:\My Documents\My Outlook\Temp. If you restored from CD/DVD, make sure you uncheck the "Read Only" file attribute by right clicking the file and choosing Properties.

Restore through the Import and Export Wizard.

1. Choose File-> Import and Export…

2. Choose Import from another program or file .
3. Choose Personal Folder File (.PST).

4. Browse to the location where you"ve restored the PST file (D:\My Documents\My Outlook\Temp).

5. Set the options to "Include subfolders" and "Import items into the same folder in:" and select the folder that is listed as your Outlook Today folder set in the dropdown list.
6. Press Finish to complete the import.
7. Restart Outlook and remove the export.pst file from the Temporary directory if desired.

for more Information on importing check the following link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/287070

If it fails then follow method 2.

Method 2:
Perform Scan PST, if there are any Errors in outlook.pst file might get repaired.

Location of Scan PST tool:
If you are using 32-bit Windows; C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12.
If you are using 64-bit Windows; C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12.
Once you find scanpst,

1.Double click on it.

2. Click on the Browse button to select your personal PST file.

3. Click on Start to scan the PST file and then wait till the scan is complete. Once the scan is complete, there will be a notification screen asking you to repair the file. Click on repair and wait for the message repair complete.
Then repeat the method 1.

For more Information on Scan PST check the following link
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/272227

Guruprasad Ra, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

C

ColinMcKie

Thanks Guruprasad

Tried your suggestions but they did not work :-(

So I removed the hard drive from my laptop and connected it directly to the motherboard of my new computer which allowed me to recover the contacts folder, emails and tasks. However, it did not allow me to recover my Business Contacts which are in a separate database file. I found the file on the new hard drive where it is shown as MSSmallBusiness.mdf and MSSmallbusiness.ldf. I tried to open the DB, add it as a new DB into my existing profile, tried creating a new profile with it as the only DB, but in all cases the add database option only showed the new db that was created when I installed MS Outlook onto the new computer. The OLD DB shows an mdf extension whereas Outlook looks for a bcm extnesion to use in importing a DB, so that option also does not work.

Anyone get any ideas how I can recover the old DB information and import it into the new DB . . . Please :)

G

Guruprasad Ra

As the data was not exported or backed up (As *.bcm or not backed using data backup tool), the new data base files (*.ldf and *.mdf) has to be replaced manually with the Old database files.

Important Note The old data file name has to be renamed to new data file.

Example: If the new data file name is MSSmallbusiness.ldf and MSSmallbusiness.mdf even the old data file name has to be as same as the old data base (extensions will remain same like *.ldf and *.mdf)

Also take a backup of the Old data before replacing it.

Windows 7 hides certain files so that they are not able to be seen when you exploring the files on your computer. To enable the viewing of hidden and protected system files in Windows 7 please follow these steps:

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.

2. Click on the Start button.

3. Click on the Control Panel menu option.

4. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link.

Now click on the Show hidden files and folders.

5. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

6. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.

7. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

8. Press the Apply button and then the OK button.

Follow the steps below to replace the BCM data files:

Step1:

Start > type RUN and press enter.

In the text box type severices.msc and click on OK, this will open the services window.
Search for the services such as MSSMLBIZ SQL server, VSS writer and all other services under SQL server.

Right click on the services (For example: MSSMLBIZ SQL) and select properties > go to startup type select disabled > click on ok.

The location of the BCM data base is:

C:\Users\< your user account name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft Business contact Manager.

In this location you"ll be able to find the database files (with the extension*.ldf and *.mdf).

Step 2:

Copy the old data base (*.ldf and *.mdf) (which you have backed) and paste to the following location:

C:\Users\< your user account name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft Business contact Manager.

Select copy and replace ,after the data base is replaced restart all the services (Follow Step 1) and the outlook.

Guruprasad Ra, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

D

Delightman88

I am having a slightly different problem with Contacts. I cannot select them to be added to my Address Book because the check box is grayed out. Using Outlook 2007 in Windows 7 32-bit; 4Gb RAM, 2.33 Ghz Athlon Processor. I have tried importing a .CSV file from my C:\ drive, but they only go to the Contacts folder, not to my Address Book. The help section says I am able to add Contacts to my Address Book in Properties, but it will not let me check the box. Can you help?

C

CobaltBlue

I'm chipping in here so I can follow this thread. It's been over a month, D'man; any luck with the contacts, or Windows Address Book, or Outlook Address Services, or whatever they call it now? signed, Disillusioned...

R

Russ Valentine

You may or may not have a similar problem. You haven't posted enough information for us to tell. Start a new thread and include an accurate description of the problem you are having and the steps that created it. It appears you migrated your data to your current Outlook profile incorrectly and corrupted your profile. If so, create a new Outlook profile then use a supported method for migrating your data to it. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data transfer:
http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

Russ Valentine

C

CobaltBlue

Thank you for your interest, Russ. My problem is not quite the same but it's very educational to follow the threads.

If I had been reading the boards before I installed , I would have less troubles. I might not have bought Outlook. I certainly don't need Business Contact Manager because as I now have learned, it is intended to work with Exchange which I am not involved with.

After reading the forums for a while I'll either have an answer, or have enough background to ask an intelligent question in the correct forum. Thanks again!

R

Russ Valentine

You're welcome. If in fact your problem IS similar as the one posted by Delightman88 (nice handle, sounds like wishful thinking to me), then BCM is not a likely cause of the problem. The most likely cause is useing Window Easy Transfer to migrate your Outlook data. WET corrupts the profile and disables the Outlook Address Book Service completely.Russ Valentine

M

mutu26

My laptop (HP, AMD Athlon X2 chip, Windows 7 - 32 Bit) was running Outlook 2007 BCM. I ran Windows backup and backed up the entire hard drive onto an external hard drive, then the next day my motherboard died!

Purchased a new hard drive, motherboard, etc. and built a new computer (runs great!) installed Windows 7 - 64 Bit, MS Office and Outlook 2007 BCM. Ran Windows backup restore command (selected "from another computer") using the command selection to reinstall in the original location (so all the sub-directories were recreated correctly) and it restored all my data files, documents etc - except for OUTLOOK!

I tried to manually copy and insert the file into the OUTLOOK sub directory and also tried the MS OUTLOOK "import data from a PST file" command - each time I got the error message that the file " G:\Outlook\outlook.pst is not a PST file"

So I am stumped - HELP Please! All my essential data is in it and I thought that I had a good backup! Will this file include the Business contact info as well or is there a separate Access DB that I need to find elsewhere and reinstall?

I have been a lot of problems with outlook emails. But luckily once I found - outlook repair . The utility solved my old troubles within the scope of a minute. Besides perhaps it will aid you&hellip;

C

Cody - Support Engineer

Mutu26,

Please note that posting SPAM in any Microsoft forum violates the Code of Conduct. Kindly read the document and adhere to its policies. We have deleted the posts in question, but please know that you risk being banned from posting in all Microsoft forums if violation continues. Thank you for your cooperation

Cody C

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

I

Idasafety

Hi,

I have a similar problem.

I followed the instructions and now have the file "mssmallbusiness.mdf" in

but when I go into outlook, BCM, "database tools", "create or select a database" it is not there. It asks me to start a new database and it only lets me start at mssmallbusiness2.

Any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.