Outlook 2007 Meeting Reminders Don't Pop up in the middle of the screen in Windows 7

• Thread starter mbpritts
  • Start date Views 6,741
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mbpritts

Since upgrading to Windows 7, I've missed at least ten meetings (or have shown up 10 minutes late to them) because of the Windows 7 window grouping feature (which I normally love, by the way).

In Windows XP, the appointment announcements used to appear right in the center of the screen, on top of other windows when it was time to join a meeting, but Windows 7's flashing icon in the taskbar is not helpful at all. If you're actively working on a document, you're not going to constantly check your taskbar for meetings that upcoming/overdue.

The problem is widespread, many of my colleagues are also complaining about this. Although it may seem intuitive to MS that people are constantly checking their taskbar, this is NOT the case for everyone, particularly those who have documents open and are actively focusing their attention on them. The flashing icon in the taskbar is useless.

I am SO tired of my boss pinging me on MSN messenger to tell me that I'm late for our meetings. Can you please fix this? The problem is bad and widespread enough that third parties are writing programs to try to fix this annoying behavior!

R

Roady [MVP]

The underlying issue is in Windows 7. Many pop-up windows do not jump to the foreground anymore. For instance, many keyboards have a " Calculator" button to launch Windows' calculator. While the application is still launched, it is launched behind other windows.

This issue does not appear to be a video card driver issue though as it works the same for computers with either a NVIDIA, Intel and ATI video cards. I'm not aware of a workaround for this at the moment.

I

imperfexshun

I agree -- having the tasks flash in the task bar is awful. I want to be able to set it to ALWAYS pop up with the reminders whether or not it's minimized. I have the sound shut off so it doesn't disturb anyone and without the popups, it's impossible to notice the reminders on tasks and calendar items.

I want my Office Assistant back that took care of it in Office 2000. Besides the Office Assistants are cute and give you a little break from the mundane. You know the old saying, " If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well, that applies to Microsoft. You guys always revamp everything trying to impress the casual users, while the people that use it day in and day out for years have to relearn everything because the toolbars, menus, settings, etc. are completely changed and you guys either aren't smart enough or nice enough to give us options to use the old settings, except for being able to use the Classic start menu in XP (I'm glad for that). I just barely installed Office 2007 today and I'm already considering uninstalling it and putting my Office 2000 back.

There are two things that I would have liked to have functional in Office 2000 and I don't know if you have fixed them yet (I haven't tried them yet in Office 2007 since I just barely installed it). One is in Excel -- Change case functions were not available like in Word so that you could change upper, lower, sentence, etc. case without retyping everything. The other thing I encountered in both Word and Excel -- if I copy and paste search results from the web, I couldn't select all and remove the hyperlinks so I could just have an editable list; I had to remove the hyperlinks one by one which is a slow process.

wishiwasfishing@hotmail.com

D

DShipp

Did you ever get an answer to this one. I have one user with this exact issue and haven't been able to find a resolution. Thanks.

I

imperfexshun

No, not yet. I just posted this a few days ago and I really don't expect MS to respond or do anything about it. I've never gotten a response from them that shows they really care what the users want. BTW, I am using XP, not Win7 as the person above, so the problem exists in Outlook 2007 itself without regard to the OS.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
No, not yet. I just posted this a few days ago and I really don't expect MS to respond or do anything about it. I've never gotten a response from them that shows they really care what the users want. BTW, I am using XP, not Win7 as the person above, so the problem exists in Outlook 2007 itself without regard to the OS.

If you are in outlook, the reminder should always come up on top - as long as you aren't doing something that knocks it to the background before you see it... but if you are in another program, it no longer takes focus, so it may come up behind other windows. Users found it highly annoying when it took focus - they'd accidently dismiss reminders or type in the snooze field when it took the focus. You can use DeskPins to pin the dialog on top of the screen (best on multimonitors or large monitors) but not much else you can do but turn the sound up a little or look at the task bar.

I found the taskbar button was easier to notice with the task bar at the side and using 'combine when full' setting - the bar holds more windows when its vertical (and i have more space on the side with a wide screen monitor).

G

greys4me

> .. but if you are in another program, it no longer takes focus, so it may come up behind other windows. Users found it highly annoying when it took focus

Diane Poremsky, thank you for the clarification--though it was certainly not the answer I had hoped for. I too have been quite unhappy about having meeting reminders pop upunder whatever screen I'm working on. That is far too subtle a reminder for me, unfortunately. I've begun to rely on sound for reminders but would much prefer to be able to keep the sound turned off. I'll experiment with moving the Task Bar to the side and using the " stack when full" setting. I'm not familiar with DeskPins so I'll learn about that feature as well.

D

DracoSolon

I agree. This needs to be fixed so that outlook reminders pop up in front of any program.

B

bgadmin

Users found it highly annoying when it took focus...

Terrible. Why not let those users disable reminders in the settings of Outlook? There is a setting in Options to do just that.Turning up the volume is no solution either. I am away from my desk many time throughout the day. I have the default reminder set to 15 minutes prior to a meeting.If I come back to my desk, sometimes I'd be greeted with the pop up reminder that opened while I was away.

C

CFC2010

Me too. I've been late to meetings since switching to Windows 7. There must be a way to enable pop up reminders.

D

deyyoung

I agree with bgadmin. What is the point of a reminder if it does not remind you!? I've trolled through this forum and found no good solution for this issue. It's plain terrible! Reminders in Outlook are effectively useless now.

I think I'm going to find a way to trigger a motor to wave a hand in front of my monitor whenever a reminder is supposed to pop up.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I think I'm going to find a way to trigger a motor to wave a hand in front of my monitor whenever a reminder is supposed to pop up.

Make sure you post instructions - it will be popular. :)

B

b_e_small

Make sure you post instructions - it will be popular. :)
or Outlook Daily

Instructions from Microsoft on a practical solution would be even more popular.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Instructions from Microsoft on a practical solution would be even more popular.The problem is with how Win7 handles popups. If something is changed in Outlook to wok around the Win7 change, it will be released in a future update or hotfix. Otherwise a solution will come from the Windows team - in the wondows fourms.

I

imperfexshun

Instructions from Microsoft on a practical solution would be even more popular.The problem is with how Win7 handles popups. If something is changed in Outlook to wok around the Win7 change, it will be released in a future update or hotfix. Otherwise a solution will come from the Windows team - in the wondows fourms.

It's not just in Win7 -- it has to be in Outlook 2007 because I am running XP and the minute I installed Outlook 2007, this problem started for me as well. I don't know why MS doesn't just leave well enough alone when things work well as they are. As I said above, instead of simply catering to the casual user, give us long-time users options to NOT change all the bells and whistles and toolbars and colors, etc. That's another one of my complaints... that we only have that blue and gray for the page settings, when the previous standard green was a lot easier on my eyes.

L

LDG2B

Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter orOutlook Daily Tips

It's not just in Win7 -- it has to be in Outlook 2007 because I am running XP and the minute I installed Outlook 2007, this problem started for me as well. I don't know why MS doesn't just leave well enough alone when things work well as they are. As I said above, instead of simply catering to the casual user, give us long-time users options to NOT change all the bells and whistles and toolbars and colors, etc. That's another one of my complaints... that we only have that blue and gray for the page settings, when the previous standard green was a lot easier on my eyes.

How's this for confusing. I had Outlook 2007 on my XP machine and pop ups worked perfectly fine. I just got a Win7 upgrade and am still on Outlook 2007, but now my popups don't POP UP to the front anymore. Some people in my office who are also on Win7 have the problem, and some don't. So it is hard to pinpoint whether its a Windows issue or an Outlook issue. But, a solution is needed NOW!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
How's this for confusing. I had Outlook 2007 on my XP machine and pop ups worked perfectly fine. I just got a Win7 upgrade and am still on Outlook 2007, but now my popups don't POP UP to the front anymore. Some people in my office who are also on Win7 have the problem, and some don't. So it is hard to pinpoint whether its a Windows issue or an Outlook issue. But, a solution is needed NOW!

It's win7 that causes the problem. I'm guessing the peple who don't have problems are working mostly in Outlook or a browser (maybe a few other programs). Or they don't have a lot of reminders and don't notice when they don't come up on top while in other programs.

I know reminders come up if you use Firefox - i ended up typing in the snooze for field instead of in a web form yesterday. As much as i hate not getting reminders, i also hate when the reminder dialog takes focus.

I

imperfexshun

It's win7 that causes the problem. I'm guessing the peple who don't have problems are working mostly in Outlook or a browser (maybe a few other programs). Or they don't have a lot of reminders and don't notice when they don't come up on top while in other programs.

I know reminders come up if you use Firefox - i ended up typing in the snooze for field instead of in a web form yesterday. As much as i hate not getting reminders, i also hate when the reminder dialog takes focus.

How can you say it's a Win7 problem when it happens in XP as well? It tends to work better when I am surfing the 'net instead of using other programs, but as I said above, this problem started as soon as I installed 2007 and I am using XP.

C

Cynixinc2

There is an application called 'Growl' that can be installed on Windows and pops up alerts above the system tray / notification area in the lower right of your screen. Someone has written an Outlook 2007 plugin that can be installed with Growl to enable system tray notifications (lots of customization options) when an outlook reminder occurs. It works well - Google 'Growl for Windows' and you'll find the Growl installer and the Outlook plugin. However, the plugin has not been updated to work with Outlook 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.