Outlook 2010 not recognized as default email program by Blackberry

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SteveNelson

I've just downloaded Office 2010 Professional Plus (not Beta) and Outlook isn't recognized by Blackberry Desktop 5.0.1.37. The error is that Outlook isn't my default mail program, although when I go to Outlook Options -> General, I have the box checked saying Outlook is my default. When I click the Default Programs button, every listing show Microsoft Outlook as the default. I've even uninstalled Blackberry Desktop and Office 2010, then installed 2010 first and then Blackberry Desktop, but I get the same error.- steve

R

Roady [MVP]

Blackbery Desktop requires an update to work with Outlook 2010 64-bit. Blackberry Support mentioned that it will come somewhere in June.

You should be able to use the 32-bit version of Outlook to sync via Blackberry Desktop.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You should be able to use the 32-bit version of Outlook to sync via Blackberry Desktop.
DM doesn't recognize Outlook 2010 32bit either - error is that it can't open the data file. You need to use an older version of Outlook to sync with DM.

D

Dominic_EIS

I'm experiencing the same issue. Using BB Desktop manager v5.0.1.37 and Office 2010 RTM version i receive the following error:

" Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client"

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I'm experiencing the same issue. Using BB Desktop manager v5.0.1.37 and Office 2010 RTM version i receive the following error:

" Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfill the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client"
Until RIM releases an update, you're going to get that (and similar) errors.

K

kingdg

Strangely enough, I'm getting the exact same error message in Quicken 2010 every time I initiate an Autoupdate. What did MS do to the Outlook Mail Profile that makes programs not recognize it? What is the work-around/fix?

R

Roady [MVP]

Microsoft didn't do anything to cause this. It's quite normal with a version upgrade of Outlook that most other applications which integrate themselves with Outlook require an update as well. Most of these applications do a version check of Outlook first and then determine if that version is supported or not. Apparently they do not support " version 14" which is Outlook 2010.

Quicken will require an update which tells it to support Outlook 2010 as well.

Robert Sparnaaij

G

Gman_Greg

This does appear to be a problem with either Microsoft Office or Windows. Because Office 2010 uses the " Client Virtual Handler" .exe file there is no official outlook.exe/excel.exe/word.exe/etc any longer. I don't have Office 2007 just office 2010. Everything works, but no other program can find word or outlook or excel as a default program.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
This does appear to be a problem with either Microsoft Office or Windows. Because Office 2010 uses the " Client Virtual Handler" .exe file there is no official outlook.exe/excel.exe/word.exe/etc any longer. I don't have Office 2007 just office 2010. Everything works, but no other program can find word or outlook or excel as a default program.

This is a problem with Office - when you use the Click to run version, addins and utilities will not see it because it runs in a virtual instance. In my experience, if you have another version of Office installed, the other apps see outlook 2010 C2R when its open.

F

faisalsadaf

I have the same issue with multiple programs. Quickbooks 2009 Premier, and Adobe, both give me the same error message that default mail client is not configured, and to start Outlook and create a default profile.

When I check the program defaults, Outlook has all of its defaults selected.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, with Office 2010 Professional.

Is there a fix to be issued for this problem?

Thanks

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
What version of Office did you install? Is it 32 or 64 bit? (you need 32 bit)

If you have the 32 bit version, did you install the Home and Business 'click to run' build? You need the installed version.

F

faisalsadaf

I have 64 bit windows and office.

Why would Microsoft make the 64 bit version available if it doesn't work well with a 64-bit operating system? I have Windows 7 64-bit, and I've been happy with the overall 64 bit performance.

Is there no work-around for this for the time being?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Office 2010 64 bit works with windows 64 bit but it doesn't work wih 32 bit programs, like Acrobat, Quickbooks, etc or 32bit addins.

There is no workaround - if you need integration with other programs you need to use 32bit.

Should you install Office 2010 32- or 64-bit?

F

faisalsadaf

Okay so I was using Office 2007 64-bit before I had to rebuild my PC, and it worked fine with all 32-bit programs. Why would this change with Office 2010?

It doesn't make sense that 64-bit is not backwards compatible. Unless Microsoft does not mind leaving its customers out in limbo, with these integration issues.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Okay so I was using Office 2007 64-bit before I had to rebuild my PC, and it worked fine with all 32-bit programs. Why would this change with Office 2010?

It doesn't make sense that 64-bit is not backwards compatible. Unless Microsoft does not mind leaving its customers out in limbo, with these integration issues.

There is no office 2007 64-bit - office 2010 is the first 64-bit version of office. microsoft made it very clear (more than once) that 64-bit office is best suited for people using 2GB files in excel and access. 32-bit office works just fine with 64bit OS. I understand its better than 32bit on 32bit OS.

F

fatbiker

Tried new Blackberry Desktop 6 in Windows 7 64 bit with Office 2010 32 bit and still can't sync.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Tried new Blackberry Desktop 6 in Windows 7 64 bit with Office 2010 32 bit and still can't sync.

Do you get any error messages? What happens when you try?

Are you using the click to run version? That will not sync - you need to use an installed version.Outlook & Office 2010 Click-to-Run Headaches

K

kirthomp

me too, same problem. Have heard there is an app called syncamatic - will maybe try that??

T

TH_ES

Here's some history: I began with installing MS Office 2010 64-bit to match my Win7 environment. As I am running Win7 64-bit, I downloaded and ran the latest Mobile Device Center 64-bit. Nothing functioned with MS Outlook 2010. I followed the errors through Google and found that MS Office 2010 (specifically MS Outlook 2010) 64-bit will not function with ActiveSync, Mobile Device Center, nor any programs sharing data with Outlook.

Uninstalled MS Office 2010 64-bit and the installed MS Office 2010 32-bit. Again, as I am running Win7 64-bit, still required the latest Mobile Device Center 64-bit (Windows will not allow loading of the 32-bit version). This did not work - Same errors; I could sync files, but not contacts, notes, media, etc. Also, as I utilize Cardscan Executive to capture business cards and had automatically sync'd data between Cardscan and Outlook, I noted that this feature would not function either.

Uninstalled MS Office 2010 32-bit and installed MS Office 2007. Everything worked out of the gate - nothing to configure on this end. Outlook 2010, in any form, will not function with the Mobile Device Center or any application that shares data with it. For me, Outlook 2010 rendered my business contact management schema useless. I am requesting a refund from Microsoft - More to follow on their response and action...

Here is HTC's response this a.m. on the subject:

Thank you for your reply. I actually was preparing to let you know that the problem was Office/Outlook 2010. For whatever reason, Microsoft has not updated the synchronization software to work with the new format used in Outlook 2010. We experience the same problem with our Android phones as well utilizing HTC Sync; no compatibility with Outlook 2010. I know that our engineers are doing everything they can on that front to provide compatibility with Outlook 2010, but I can't speak for Microsoft's side. I will certainly send this information up as a suggestion to the proper department, and I do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

Sincerely,

Philip

HTC

Obviously 32 bit office is not working JUST FINE with 64bit OS unless there is a solution for that in the meantime !

E

Elorabird

I have had a new PC with Windows 7 Home and Business, since July. I have been wrestling with trying to get Oulook 2010 to work with my Blackberry (a new one purchased in August!), Quickbooks Pro 2010, and Central Desktop Project Management Software. All three are not compatible with Windows 7/Outlook 2010. The fun part, and here's the kicker, My new PC is not compatible with earlier versions of Windows, and the tech's that I have paid to try and work things out for me end up just as perplexed at the end of a very expensive day. I am not an idiot, nor am I a tech. I run a business and cannot afford to be wasting my days trying to get my Calendars to sync, and programs to even function with the new computer. I have been finding myself going back to the old " paper & pen" day planner route. I thought technology was suppose to simplify things and make communication cohesive. So far, I have to manually update the Calendar in my Blackberry to match my Outlook then do the same once I login to Central Desktop. I cannot even get my PC to recognize Outlook 2010 as a program on the computer! I cannot even locate the exact setting to change this. Why is this? Can anyone help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Outlook 2010 Pro 32bit not recognized by Mobile Device Center Using Outlook 2
N Outlook 2010 Vista 64bit not recognized by Mobile Device Center Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I think it may be time to upgrade from Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 0
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 is Auto Purging when not configured for that Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
Mark Foley Cannot enable add-in in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Updating from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2010 Flag blocked for Safe Senders List???? Using Outlook 7
dweller Outlook 2010 Rule Ignores VBA Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Mark Foley Unable to subscribe to published calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
K Maximum Categorize Shortcuts In Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
RBLampert Outlook 2010 no longer (?) shrinks large images Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2010 will not send nor receive Using Outlook 4
U Outlook 2010 'freezes' before moving emails Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2010 trusted emails going to spam folder Using Outlook 18
E Outlook 2010 Subject sort uses Thread-Topic for grouping Using Outlook 2
King Mustard Maximum Categorize shortcuts in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2010 keeps asking for username and password Using Outlook 1
M Duplicate Primary Mail Accounts outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
T Compacting Outlook 2010 OST results in old emails being re-sent Using Outlook 6
K Outlook 2010 duplicate download emails 1 inbox 1 PST no updates Using Outlook 3
D create an html table in outlook custom form 2010 using vba in MsAccess Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
Potty Ash MS Outlook 2010 custom form - validation or formula to request user to check a checkbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
RBLampert Outlook 2010 sends to/receives from some Gmail addresses but not others Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about address book in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 9
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is there a good third party SPAM filter that intergrates with Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Another reinstall of Outlook 2010 issue Using Outlook 10
S Outlook 2010 Cannot Open Attachments Using Outlook 14
Justo Horrillo Issue with rules in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
L Upgrade from Outlook 2010-any reason to? Using Outlook 1
C Attached Files outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
C Attached files on Outlook 2010 Sp1 & Exc 2013 are missing Exchange Server Administration 1
EaglePI Outlook 2010 need help with rules Using Outlook 0
K can not reinstall outlook 2010 Exchange Server Administration 0
T outlook 2010 mail item count doesnt match display Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Werewolf Workaround for the missing Activities tab in Contact Folder Properties in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 2
G Can't open .pst. Message could not access default folder (Outlook 2010 (.pst). Before that was backi Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2010 on re-imaged computer missing calendar/contacts Using Outlook 0
V Hotmail account on Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2