how do get previously used email addresses to auto-complete within the address lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikesnline

I used to be able to begin typing someones email address and it would auto-complete. my new computer doesnt do it though. how do i make it so it does it again

B

Brian Tillman

This question doesn't seem to be related to Office customization and programming, so I'll be moving it to the proper Outlook forum after answering. The forum will be Using Contacts, Calendar, Notes, and Tasks.

The autocompletion cache does not reference your Contacts in any way whatsoever. It simply remembers the last 2,000 addresses to which you've sent mail. Since this is, as you say, a new computer, the cache will be empty. As you continue to send, more addresses will be added.

There are two ways to populate the cache with your contacts. One is to open your Contacts folder, press Ctrl-A to select all your contacts, then drag the selection to the Inbox to open a new compose window with all of your contacts in the To field. Press Ctrl+K to resolve all the addresses. Then close the compose window and cancel the sending. Close Outlook to write the cache to disk.

The other way, if you're using Outlook 2007 or earlier, is to copy the cache file from the old computer. It will be in the (usually hidden) folder %AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook, it's name will match the name of the mail profile you were using on that computer, and its file type will be ".NK2". With Outlook closed, copy that file to the new computer, put it in %AppData%\Microsoft\Outlook, and name it to match the current mail profile, keeping the .NK2 file type. WHen Outlook starts, it should be able to use it.

----------------------------

J

Jeanie Elendt

Brian,

Where would I find this cache file in Windows 7? My boss got new notebook and has hundreds of email addresses in the cache. He needs them badly.

Thanks!

V

Vejita

if you have access to the old computer, copy his .nk2 file from within his profile.

In Windows XP the file was located at: C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\file.nk2 (the filename may be different)

On his new computer, they will go in the same path (if he is on XP)

If he is on Windows 7, the path will be C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\file.nk2

Here's the kicker. In the new PC, if there are files named Outlook.srs or Default.srs, you will need to rename the .nk2 file to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Spell Checker Changes -- Not as Predictive as Previously Using Outlook 3
B Print list of previously sent recipients Using Outlook 1
S Previously flagged messages not archiving Using Outlook 3
J Changed my "From" email address creates problem with previously saved contacts Using Outlook 20
T Outlook 2010 / SBS 2010 - User cannot view emails moved to a folder that was previously imported fro Using Outlook 6
C Upgraded version of Outlook cannot open previously viewable encrypted messages. Using Outlook 1
C Upgraded version of Outlook cannot open previously viewable encrypted messages. Using Outlook 3
M The current Automatic Replies (OOF) state doesn't match the OOF state that was previously set Exchange Server Administration 1
E Newly set up EMCs are slow but previously set up EMCs are fine Exchange Server Administration 3
J When I open a previously saved personal file (pst) "There are no items in this view" is displayed in Using Outlook 2
Z How can I view Group Schedules that were setup previously using Outlook 2003 that contain multiple, selectable groups? Using Outlook 8
C compile error on previously functioning code outlook 2003 windows Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Can you load an OlkComboBox and show a previously selected value? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible it set the fonts used to read incoming mail Using Outlook 11
R Setting font and color used when replying to an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
G Mass Updating Contact form used Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
CWM030 Its been years since i've used outlook and now were up to 2016! Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky How to Change the Font used for Outlook's RSS Feeds New Slipstick.com Articles 0
R Slow character rendering after Hebrew used Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Clear Outlook's Most Recently Used lists New Slipstick.com Articles 0
JorgeDario ¿What property of mailitem can be used like primary key? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
H SETTING UP A "NEW" NEVER HAD NEVER USED EMAIL ACCOUNT Using Outlook 9
J Can the BCM Database tool be used over VPN? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
D Frequently used response short cut possible macro Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2007 - trouble with alphabetizing when titles are used (ie - Mr.) Using Outlook 0
J Saving recent colors used for fonts in an email? Using Outlook 1
N Outlook 2007 Categories Problem (Most Recentley Used List Corrupted) Using Outlook 3
V Wrong Address List being used (or Resolved by ALT + K) Using Outlook 1
B Wrong account used when "Reply"ing to email - outlook 2007 Using Outlook 6
K Outlook PST file created in 2010 can be used in 2007? Using Outlook 2
A Auto modify an email used in 'Server reply using'. Using Outlook 1
J I used a Belkin Easy Transfer kit to transfer files from an old XP based laptop to a new Windows 7 l Using Outlook 3
B Same Email Address used by Multiple Users - GAL Exchange Server Administration 6
M Determine if a public Folder is used by an Application Using Outlook 2
O How to put the most used folders in the Favorites Folders list? Using Outlook 2
W how do I control the font used when pasting text into an Outlook 2007 email message Using Outlook 3
C At a hotel in another counry--the wireless server won't allow me to send outgoing email messages. I am using the same settings I used at home. I can Using Outlook 2
C Change the port used by "Console for Exchange Server 2010" in IIS Windows Server 2008 R2 Exchange Server Administration 2
M outlook calendar navigation no longer shows the mini-calendars at the top. I used to have three mon Using Outlook 1
C How to change order of colors used when replying or forwarding Using Outlook 2
A User reports that tasks are cut short - contain only 4kb where they used to contain much more info... Using Outlook 5
D Outlook categories used for inbox msgl reset each time I login to my email account. Using Outlook 1
A backing up 2 year old files, when no pst was used with that account. Using Outlook 1
F Change ports used by Exchange Server 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
T E-mail addresses not populating when first letter is typed in address bar ??? they used to ?? Using Outlook 2
J Protocols used by Blackberry to connect to Exchange Exchange Server Administration 1
H Used Easy Transfer to copy from old computer and now I can't send and receive Using Outlook 2
S I can no longer add calendar items on the calendar page, or the contact. Can only do on blackberry and then sync. Used to work just fine! Using Outlook 4
F I used the MS software "set_up_outlookset" to convert my Godaddy.com web mail to MS Outlook 2010, ho Using Outlook 2