export contacts in Outlook 2003 using Windows 7 - no folders

• Thread starter Dean Christman
  • Start date Views 1,677
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dean Christman

I am using a new computer, using Windows 7. When I try to export contacts to excel or.csv, no folders show up to export from. The same happens when I try to import contacts from another program or file. It is almost as is Outlook is using teh wrong personal folder to look in for my info. Help!

R

Russ Valentine

Why are you using export to transfer Outlook data? Will you no longer be using Outlook with Windows 7? If you're still using Outlook, you would never use exort or import to transfer data. You just copy and reuse your data file.Russ Valentine

D

Dean Christman

I am using export now, after I transferred the data. I regularly expport my contacts to my business Outlook, and have been using export to do that. You have any ideas on solving teh issue?

R

Russ Valentine

Yes. The one I already posted. You should not use export to transfer Outlook data. Use a correct mehod.

There is no way to tell why you can't export with so little information. Post precise steps to repro and what hapens.

Russ Valentine

M

Madbailey

I am having similar problem. I want to export my calendar file to a different software and stop using outlook. If I choose to export in format .pst then all the folders are listed, but .pst is no good for other software. I need to export as .csv or excel file, and when I choose these options no folders are listed. I have been able to export to .csv no problem in the past so this must be related to upgrading to windows 7

R

Russ Valentine

What is your Outlook version? List the steps you are using and what happens.

When you " upgraded" your OS, how did you install your Office version?

Russ Valentine

M

Madbailey

Hi,

i run Outlook 2003. I simply upgraded from vista to windows 7 (home premium) and didn't need to reinstall office. I am up to date with microsft updates. I have just installed office 2007 (but can't afford Outlook 2007 too!), don't know if that makes a difference?

In outlook I do:

>File

>Import and Export

>Export to a file

>Microsoft Excel

When I click on " next" at this point I get the " Select folder to export from" dialogue box which is completely empty. If I select " Personal Folder file (.pst) at the previous step then all folders are listed in the " select folder to export from" box.

Any suggestions welcome.

Jan

R

Russ Valentine

Upgrading an entire OS without reinstalling your other software is asking for trouble. At the very least you should repair Outlook and create a new Outlook profile from scratch. Also, be aware that all integration between Outlook and the rest of Office is now lost.

Russ Valentine

M

Madbailey

Hi

I shall look at repairing outlook. I am changing software because, as you say, the integration is now lost which makes outlook less attractive!

S

SNab-NL

Re: I want to export my calendar file to a different software and stop using outlook

It is indeed a bit risky to upgrade the O without reinstalling the software. In my case I got a new computer with Windows 7 Professional, installed office 2003 and had the same problem when trying to export my contacts to MS Access. Before this worked perfectly every year when I used my Outlook contacts for preparing address labels in MS Access. Strangely Outlook 2003 shows no folders when trying to export to Access or Excel; only when trying to export to a pst file. I have now exported the contacts folder to a new pst file on a USB stick. Opened the file on another computer with Windows XP and Office 2003 and there the export to Access went on the fly. I suspect that it has to do something with the way in which Windows 7 in managing address files, but it is a complete riddle how it " paralyzes" an functionality in Outlook 2003.

A clarification how this can be solved is most welcomed.

R

Russ Valentine

Re: I want to export my calendar file to a different software and stop using outlook

Clarify the precise steps used to try to export to Access and where it is that " Outlook shows no folders." I doubt this has anything to do with the OS and most likely reflects a faulty installation. Verify that you installed Outlook's importers and exporters.Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.