Outlook 2010 updating Contact Group

J

jgt

How do I correct an email address in a Contact Group?

I've created a Contact Group in OL 2010 and added several members none of which were in my OL contacts. I had clicked on Add Members > From Outlook Contacts and then in the Members field I pasted my list of contacts in the format of FirstName LastName EmailAddress. One of the entries was incorrect, originally I had entered " Mike Jones Mike.Jones@xxx.com" and the email addres was not correct, e.g. it should beMichael.Jones@xxx.com. I double-clicked on the entry and in the window that opened I clicked on " Open Contact" corrected the email address then clicked on " Save & Close" .

I expected the corrected email address to now appear in the Contact Group but the old incorrect email address was still present. In the Contact Group window I clicked on the " Update Now" icon in the ribbon, still the incorrect email address is displayed.

If I go to my OL Personal Folder window and enter Jones in the " Find a Contact" field the entry I just added is not there.

If I go back to the Contact Group window and double click the entry the window that opens shows the updated email address. In the Group Contact window if I click on the E-mail icon in the ribbon and then expand the list the incorrect email address is displayed for Mike.

jgt

R

Russ Valentine

I assume you mean a Distribution List. If you want to update a DL you must also remove its entry from your autocompletion cache. Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to migrate to the entry) and then hitting your Delete key before you tab out of the field.

Russ Valentine

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
If I go to my OL Personal Folder window and enter Jones in the " Find a Contact" field the entry I just added is not there.

This is to be expected since you didn't create contacts, only the Contact Group, formerly known as a distribution list.

If I go back to the Contact Group window and double click the entry the window that opens shows the updated email address. In the Group Contact window if I click on the E-mail icon in the ribbon and then expand the list the incorrect email address is displayed for Mike.As Russ mentioned, this is because of the autocomplete list cache - start typing the group name then select it and press the Del key or use the mouse to click the x to the right of the dl name to remove it from the cache. The next time you use the address it will reload the group.

J

jgt

OK so anytime I change a Contact Group I need to delete it from the autocomplete list to ensure the correct address will be displayed when I use it. Is this what Microsoft calls progress and userfriendly?

Perhaps the autocomplete explains another issue I have. Somewhere along the line I've added a contact (let's say Mike) and I've sent Mike emails. Now I receive an email from Alice and she has copied Mike. I know I don't have Alice in my Outlook Contacts so I right-click on her address in the email and select add to Outlook Contacts and her entry is added. Now because my memory is not super I don't recall if I have Mike in my Outlook Contacts so I right-click on his entry and select " Look Up Outlook Contact" and I'm told " Could not find a contact with this e-mail address" . So I then right-click on Mike's email and select add to Outlook Contacts. Then when I attempt to save the entry I'm informed that the entry already exist (the email address in the Outlook Contact was the same as it was in the email from Alice). OK so I select the option to update the entry. Now back in the email I again right-click on Mike's email and select " Look Up Outlook Contact" and again I'm informed that the entry does not exist. How can this be I just added and updated the entry contact info.

Is it best to turn off the autocomplete list? If so how is this done?

jgt

R

Russ Valentine

Your problem is not so much with autocompletion as it is with your choice to use DL's. DL's are not robust and have many quirks like this. Many users abandonded them long ago in favor of newer and better ways of grouping recipients, such as Categories.

Whether you use autocompletion or autoresolution is up to you. You can easily turn off autocompletion by unchecking " Suggest Names" in Advanced Options for your Email preferences.

If " Lookup Contacts" fails to return an entry that you are sure you have in your Contacts Folder, then most likely you stored that entry in a Folder you neglected to include in your Outlook Address Book. Check and see.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287563&Product=ol2002

Russ Valentine

J

jgt

Sorry more questions.

I don't mind dropping DL or Contact Groups (the term in OL 2010) and I've used Categories differently than you are suggesting. What do you suggest I read to learn how to use Categories as you suggest? Currently I have about 100 DL/Contact Groups. I teach a lot of classes via the internet and have been creating a DL/Contact Group for each class to make it easy to communicate via email.I cannot find the " Suggest Names" setting, I clicked File > Options > and then went through all of the " Outlook Options" and could not find " Suggest Names" ." Look Up Contacts" often fails - I looked at the suggested article and for 2010 and all of my settings are as suggested. I have only one address book and in the suggested article for step one it appears as " Outlook Address Book" .Steps 2 & 3 are as suggested.

When I have my Contacts open in the left nav pane I see " My Contacts" and under that I see

" Contacts" - this appears to be my address book and contains what I think is all of my contacts and DL/Contact Groups

" Collected Contacts" - this view is empty

" Suggested Contacts" - This view looks like a business card, the first several entries have just an email address, the next group has the persons name and email address - some names are contained within a single quote mark

" Business Contact Manager" - Clicking on this does nothing. jgt

R

Russ Valentine

I need more information. Why does your profile contain " Business Contact Manager?" Have you expressly installed this program? It is not part of Office 2010.

Contact Lookup only fails if you have not configured your Outlook Address Book Service correctly. The most common reason for this is migrating your Outlook data to a new version incorrectly. I assume that since Outlook 2010 is brand new and you are using old data, that you migrated your data to the new version. If so, how did you do so? How did you connect the address service to your data after you did so?

Russ Valentine

R

Russ Valentine

Oops. You had more questions. The path for turning off autocomplete in Outlook 2010 is easy to find: File > Options > Mail > Use Autocomplete. For the most part, each new version of Outlook just rearranges the furniture to make the new version more difficult to use.Russ Valentine

J

jgt

I need more information. Why does your profile contain " Business Contact Manager?" Have you expressly installed this program? It is not part of Office 2010.

Contact Lookup only fails if you have not configured your Outlook Address Book Service correctly. The most common reason for this is migrating your Outlook data to a new version incorrectly. I assume that since Outlook 2010 is brand new and you are using old data, that you migrated your data to the new version. If so, how did you do so? How did you connect the address service to your data after you did so?

Russ Valentine

Back when BCM was part of Office 2007 I had installed BCM for a short period of time but never did anything with it (no time to learn). During one of my rebuilds with WinXP and Office 2007 I did not reinstall it or I may have uninstalled it prior to a rebuild. However at this time this is just a guess. I've been upgrading OL since the first release of OL.

I was forced to perform a clean install when I moved from WinXP to Vista x64 (yuck) and I'm not sure how I ported the OL data from the old WinXP (at this time Office 2007) to the new install of Office 2007 under Vista. Most likely I found most of the data files on the old system and just copied them over to the new system.

When Win7 x64 was released I created a new HD build and again just copied all the Local and Roaming folders from the old system to the new system. For the most part everything seemed to work except I had to recreate my email accounts.

When Office 2010 was released I installed on top of Office 2007 for the most part everything worked except I noticed that in PowerPoint my 1179 slide file would take 50+ minutes to save. This was not good.

I then started a new HD build of Win7 x64 and installed Office 2010 fresh. I now had two hard drives, one with the old build and one with the new build and it was a simple matter of inserting the desired HD in my laptop, the old drive for production work and the new drive to continue the build. Prior to the cut-over from the old drive to the new drive I use " Outlook BackRex Outlook Backup" (seehttp://backsettings.com/) to backup Outlook, FireFox and IE. I then swap drives and on the new drive again using Outlook BackRex I restored Outlook, FireFox and IE. There were several small things in OL that did not transfer correctly but for the most part it seemed to work. After the restore I then used the new drive as my production drive.

Also prior to the new drive cut-over I used Acronis TrueImage to backup the old dirve (also the new drive). I can open the TI old drive image to copy almost anything if necessary.

You ask " How did you connect the address service to your data after you did so?" I did not do anything to connect, I just started using OL after the install of Office 2010 on top of Office 2007. It is highly possible that my long history of moves from one office version to newer verisons I did it wrong and now it has created a problem. I'm 100% sure that the above long story has left out lots of stuff that might be helpful to resolve the issue but for me it is too much water under the bridge and I cannot remember more details at this time.

I'm going to again go through the article you suggested and make sure I did not miss something.

jgt

J

jgt

Oops. You had more questions. The path for turning off autocomplete in Outlook 2010 is easy to find: File > Options > Mail > Use Autocomplete. For the most part, each new version of Outlook just rearranges the furniture to make the new version more difficult to use.Russ Valentine

AH! Finally I found the darn option under the " Send messages" section (last item in this group). I also notice a " Empty Autocomplete List" button. Before I turn off the autocomplete I though I'd first give this a try and see if cleaning up the list would help.jgt

J

jgt

Russ - regarding " I'm going to again go through the article you suggested and make sure I did not miss something."

Step 1 Install the Outlook Address Book service - When I click the " Address Books" tab I see only one entry which is " Outlook Address Book"

Step 2 Mark your contact folder for use with your address book - On theOutlook Address Book tab, click to select the Show this folder as an e-mail address book check box, type a descriptive name - The option is already checked but it is grayed out. The name of my address book is " Contacts"

Step 3: Look for an e-mail address or a fax number - I can (ops I cannot turn of the bold) open any contact and they appear OK

The issue really seems to present itself when I'm viewing an email and I right-click on an address in the TO or CC field and select " Look Up Contact" and OL tells me that it cannot find the contact (this does not happen for all contacts) but yet when I search for the contact I do find him in my address book. I just check one email from " Eric" and it is as I just described. Most likely I added Eric to my address book when I received an email from him, right-clicked on his email address in the preview pane and selected " Add to Outlook Contacts"

jgt

J

jgt

Russ - ref using Categories rather than DL/Contact Groups - What do you suggest I read to learn how to use Categories as you suggest?jgt

R

Russ Valentine

You definitely migrated your data incorrectly and corrupted your new Outlook profile. This hsppens if you overwrite your Outlook data file, import it, or use Windows Easy Transfer. You must create a new Outlook profile from scratch:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829918&Product=out2003

Then use a supported method for connecting it to your previous data file. Outlook 2010 makes this much easier by allowing you to connect to a previous data file as you create the new profile. Be sure you do this and not any of the methods noted above.

For information on using Categories il lieu of DL's, read this: http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2003/20030730.htm

Russ Valentine

J

jgt

Russ, sorry that I did not reply earlier but I've had some health issues and hopefully now back on track and can resovle my issue.

Because of other PC issues I've started to rebuild my system and just installed Office Pro 2010 x32 on my Win7 ULtimate x64 system and setup outlook without accessing my old archive and outlook files. Currently I just have one email account set up in the new install.

You stated " Then use a supported method for connecting it to your previous data file. Outlook 2010 makes this much easier by allowing you to connect to a previous data file as you create the new profile. Be sure you do this and not any of the methods noted above." When I went through the setup I did not see anything about accessing a previous data file. I've also looked in the Outlook help file and could not find anything. At this point I'm lost and not sure of the next steps. I see where the new install has setup the Outlook.pst file (I've moved it and pointed outlook to it). I have the archive.pst and outlook.pst from my old build on a network drive.

jgt

R

Russ Valentine

Whenever you create a new profile in Outlook 2010, the opening screen has a button to let you browse to and select an exisitng PST rather than have Outlook create a new one. So you can create a new profile and do that now, or you can simply use your old PST file by opening it in Outlook (File > Open > Outlook Data File...), setting it as your default, then restarting Outlook and closing the new, empty PST file.

Russ Valentine

J

jgt

OK I went back to the point where I have no profile. I go into the control panel and click on mail (32bit) The Mail window pops up I click on the add button I supply a profile name & click OK I'm prompted to setup an email account, I supply all the info, click next, Outlook 2010 (x32 bit) attempts to make an encrypted connection and fails, I click on next and OL makes an unencrypted connectionI click on the finish button - at no point was I prompted for a PST file. I click the OK button to close the Mail setup window I start OL, there is no mail because this is a new profile I click File, Account Settings, Data Files (I see OL is using the new PST file)I click on the Add button, change to the folder where my Outlook.PST file is stored and select it, then click on OKBack in the Account Settings window I change the default to the Outlook.pst file I just selectedI select the pst file OL created when I went through the Mail setup window and clicked Remove - OL would not let me remove it - stuff was being copied from it to the Outlook.pst file (per the message)I closed the Account Settings window I closed OL, I restarted OL - I see some of my old email but most is missing, my contacts seemed to be there but still I cannot search for some entries (this was the problem I originally wanted to resolve). I don't see any of my 100+ rules, I don't see any of my alerts At this point I'm much worse off then before and more than totally confused. jgt

R

Russ Valentine

The very first screen when you create a new profile contains button that allows you to browse to and connect to an existing PST file rather than letting Outlook create a new one.Russ Valentine

J

jgt

OK leet me try again

Start > control panel > mail 32 I get the Mail Setup window, I click Show Profiles I get the Mail window with the General tab I see the profile I currently have set upI click Add, I get the New Profile pop-up, I supply a new profile name, I click OKThe " Add New Account" window pops up I supply the account info and click next, Outlook 2010 (x32 bit) attempts to make an encrypted connection and fails, I click on next and OL makes an unencrypted connection

At no point do I see an option/button to connect to an existing PST fle (unless I'm doing something wrong), so I tried something different at this point

In the Mail General window I selected the profile I set up last night and then clicked Remove (now I only have the profile I just created)With the new profile I just created I clicked properties Using windows explorer I went to my desired Outlook folder and removed all PST files, then copied from my BU drive the current PST file to the Outlook folder.Back in the Mail Setup window I clicked on the " Data Files" button, then clicked on the add button, went to the Outlook folder where Ijust copied the Outlook.PST file, selected it and clicked OK. Now my desired Outlook.PST file is set as the default.I closed all of the Mail setup windows and started Outlook The mail folder does NOT contain all of my folders, numerous emails are missing, I have NO rules (I had over 100), I have NO alerts (I had less than 10), the contacts look OK, the calendar looks OK.When I click on the Search " Unread Mail" I think I see what should be there (I have a LOT of unread email all the time) thus I think this looks good.In the " Deleted Items" I see about 2000 emails that I've deleted and not cleared out (this appears to be OK). I normally clean the deleated items about once a month thus it really gets huge and the last time I cleared it was 8/30.At this point I'm missing numerous folders (at least 100 folders) that I filter stuff into, all of my rules (over 100) and all of my alerts (less than 10).Thus I'm not at a point where Outlook is NOT workable.

jgt

J

jgt

Correction to my last post --- I do see all of the folders - - error on my part (dumb user) but I'm missing all of my rules and alerts. How do I get them from the previous Outlook setup? The old drive is NOT bootable at this time (I'm still tring to resolve this issue).jgt

R

Russ Valentine

The first screen for profile creation in Outlook 2010 contains an option to let you use a previous data file. You need to select that option BEFORE you start creating a new account. If you have a good copy of a previous Outlook data file from Outlook 2007, the rules will be stored in the file. You simply need to step through them to reset them to the new location. If your data file was from an earlier version, rules would need to be backed up separately in an RWZ file.Russ Valentine