Outlook 2007 won't open after Windows 7 updates installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eb521

This morning I returned to my computer and found that it had been restarted because Windows Update installed updates KB977074 (important for Win 7 x64 system) and recommended update KB978506 (IE 8 compatibility view list for Win 7 x64). I don't know whether I had left Outlook 2007 open or not because I wasn't expecting updates to be installed. Since then I have not been able to open Outlook. It starts to open, but then I get the message "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window."

I tried to repair from my Office CD, but it didn't say there were any problems. I was going to uninstall Outlook, but it appears from the CD that I have to uninstall all of Office, which I didn't want to do. If I uninstall, I don't want to lose my pst folder.

I upgraded from Vista a couple of weeks ago and have been receiving a lot of different updates with no problem.

Any ideas to restore Outlook?

S

Surya Prasad Vemulapalli

This morning I returned to my computer and found that it had been restarted because Windows Update installed updates KB977074 (important for Win 7 x64 system) and recommended update KB978506 (IE 8 compatibility view list for Win 7 x64). I don't know whether I had left Outlook 2007 open or not because I wasn't expecting updates to be installed. Since then I have not been able to open Outlook. It starts to open, but then I get the message "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window."

I tried to repair from my Office CD, but it didn't say there were any problems. I was going to uninstall Outlook, but it appears from the CD that I have to uninstall all of Office, which I didn't want to do. If I uninstall, I don't want to lose my pst folder.

I upgraded from Vista a couple of weeks ago and have been receiving a lot of different updates with no problem.

Any ideas to restore Outlook?

Try the following step and check if it helps.

Click Start > In the start search box type outlook /resetnavpane and then press enter.

Surya Prasad, Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
• We appreciate your participation in MS Forums, Help us understand your needs better. To share your valuable Feedback please Click here.

C

cox1977

Thank you for the answer! I have faced this problem all day... all over the Microsoft website & FINALLY found it here!

L

liaison

I have the same problem. Have Windows 7, Office 2007 and all worked well until this afternoon when i installed update KB986422 and from then on get the message Outlook cannot open Outlook Window. I did system restore twice. Did Office repair twice. Uninstalled office and reinstalled it and still get the problem. I've searched for Outlook.exe and it seems not to be on my computer even after my reinstall. Searched for outlook.exe/resetnavpane and am told it doesn't exist! What can I do now????

S

Surya Prasad Vemulapalli

Have you typed the command properly?

There is a space in between “Outlook” and “/” and no space in between “/” and resetnavpane.

Try and check if it works.

K

Korith

Using outlook /resetnavpaneas Surya suggested worked for me; I was experiencing similar issues.

R

Raylogic

Using outlook /resetnavpaneas Surya suggested worked for me; I was experiencing similar issues.

Same problem for me. Same solution worked although I did have to force Outlook to close with task manager beforehand.

R.

T

TERRENCED

Thanks a million, Surya. This last detail got my Outlook going again!

S

SheriC

system restore will not work and neither would removing the specific updates associated with this particular problem. There were two updates that came in that caused this bleep in the past couple of days.

S

SheriC

I want to thank you, too, for posting a reply. It's been a frustrating two days until I found this site. God Bless!

I

ithier10

Have you typed the command properly?

There is a space in between “Outlook” and “/” and no space in between “/” and resetnavpane.

Try and check if it works.

Hi Surya, I tried this but still no luck. I get exactly the same message. I'm using windows 7, office pro 2007. I have had no problems with Outlook before. I can open all other office programs, and only can't open outlook. I can open outlook in safe mode. Thanks mate.

S

Surya Prasad Vemulapalli

@ithier10

@Disky001

Try to create a new Outlook profile using the steps givenhere then reconnect the old PST and configure the email account.

Also provide the exact error message displayed on the screen and detailed information regarding the issue if problem persists.

S

SLSTAR

I had the same problem and your advice worked for me.

Thanks Surya,

SLSTAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Outlook 2007 won't connect Using Outlook 6
M Outlook 2007 won't respond? Using Outlook 3
B outlook 2007 won't play video attachments Using Outlook 3
W Outlook exp. 2007 problems - won't receive new mail Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2007 won't show appointments/meetings in calendar on actual date, only on date appt/mtg made Using Outlook 1
E Outlook 2007 won't connect to 2nd Mailbox Server in a DAG Exchange Server Administration 2
C Outlook 2007 won't send/revieve posts until some mail is archived Using Outlook 1
R Microsoft Outlook 2007: Won't Connect to Comcast Email. Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2007 - Contact detail won't open Using Outlook 2
C Outlook 2007 won't let me save new contacts in my address book because I don't have a PAB set up and Using Outlook 3
M Outlook 2007 signature font won't stay as I set it Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2007 won't send email with attachments Using Outlook 2
F Outlook 2007 won't hold password Using Outlook 1
T microsoft outlook 2007 won't start. Been using it fine for months. What's up Using Outlook 1
P 1. Outlook 2007 won't send messages.__ Also:__2. I can't attach a 2nd email address to Outlook 2007. Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2007 When I attempt to open a new email, it won't open and says 'not responding' Using Outlook 5
H Outlook 2007 won't send outgoing emails Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 2007: outgoing email with addresses taken from address book won't send Using Outlook 9
B Outlook 2007 won't connect to Exchange on the first launch Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2007 Business Contacts Manager won't install (and I can't get help from Microsoft) Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2007 won't send message with email address that is not in my address book. Using Outlook 2
L Outlook 2007 won't open unless i restart my computer. Using Outlook 1
S outlook 2007 installed. office 2010 student just installed. outlook now won't function Using Outlook 1
H Outlook 2007 was working fine and now won't open. Using Outlook 2
S Re: Outlook 2007 won't re-open once closed Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2007 won't open without granting access to the program. Using Outlook 5
V Scanpst reports no errors in PST file, but Outlook 2007 won't open, reports errors. Using Outlook 2
K word 2007 attachment won't open on windows 7 machine using Outlook Web Access v2003 Using Outlook 1
M Can't delete an email that won't clear from the outbox. Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
K Outlook 2007 Won't Open in Normal or Safe Mode Using Outlook 2
S outlook 2007 Vista x64 most recent Oulook update crashes the outlook program and it won't work. Using Outlook 2
K Outlook 2007 won't send yahoo email in Windows 7 Using Outlook 1
B Error and won't let me open my microsoft outlook 2007. Using Outlook 1
C outlook 2007 won't send page by email or link by email via IE 8 under 'pages menu' Using Outlook 3
S Problem:office outlook 2007 won't connect with server ? Using Outlook 1
R Why won't Outlook 2010 support the use of image mapping for email signatures. Outlook 2007 did. Using Outlook 15
S Verwendung von Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
A Arthur needs help with 2007 Outlook e-mail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
S outlook 2007 calendar search Using Outlook 6
B Migrate Outlook 2007 to Office 365 Using Outlook 3
X I have met my waterloo trying to resolve embedded graphics problem with outlook 2007 and now 2016 Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 only loads some appointments Using Outlook 0
C Move Outlook 2007 to new PC with Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2007 Hide Messages Option not Available Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 0
B Server errors Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
S Reboot of frozen windows7 results in changed outlook 2007 settings Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007 printing wrong email address at top of page Using Outlook 8