Registry fix for Outlook -Most Recently Used Folders list vanished

• Thread starter JShallow
  • Start date Views 627
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JShallow

Hi, I made the classic goof of messing with the registry without backing it up first. I removed the key that tracks "Most Recently Used" folders in Outlook 2007. When I click on "move to folder." I no longer see the most recently used folders.
I'm running Windows 7. Can anyone provide step by step instructions for restoring that key? including the steps to back up the registry first?

Thank you in advance!!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Outlook will recreate it when you select a folder from the folder list. If you want to restore your old list, you'll need to use System restore and restore to a point before you removed it. This may only work if you removed it within the last day or so - if you did it weeks ago you probably won't have a restore point.

J

JShallow

Hi Diane,
Thank you for your response. The problem is that Outlook no longer recreates the folder list.

When I click on "Move to Folder" only the "Other Folder" and "copy to folder" options appear. Then I click on "other folder" and navigate to the folder into which I want to store the email. The next time I click on the "Move to folder" icon, I should see the folder I just used, but I don't. Only the "Other folder" and "Copy to folder" options appear.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Julie

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
That's odd. Was that the only key you changed? It sounds like your account doesn't have permission to write to the registry. Did you try office diagnostics? This should fix permissions on the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.