Nightmare Error Msg: "Cannot display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook cannot access the specifie

• Thread starter getin.jiggy
  • Start date Views 3,215
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

getin.jiggy

Hello,

After having spent 5 hours continously on trying to find a solution, I am submitting my problem over here hoping to get some help.

Outlook: 2007 version

My .pst file is stored on a Maxtor detachable drive and Outlook opens it from there. I have been doing this for a year now. Today when Outlook opened this .pst file, it showed all the emails (and folder structure) correctly " for a few seconds" only. But right after that, it started showing the above error message when clicking on any folder or individual email. Its nightmarish for me since all my very very important emails are in there without any recent backup.

When I try to copy this file in Windows Explorer (with Outlook being closed), I get the following error: " Cannot read from source file or disk."

After having read on some forums, I got the impression that this .pst file is (or getting) locked by some other process. In other words, this problem could have something to do with lock on the .pst file. So I tried all listed solutions but without any success. There was a suggestion to use " Unlocker" for seeing if some other process might have locked it. I tried Unlocker but it says this file is not locked by any process.

I do not want to use scanpst tool since it throws away (based on my previous experience) a lot of emails from the .pst file. Plus my .pst does not seem to be corrupt at all since it is showing all the emails for the first few seconds and then starts displaying the above error message.

There was also a suggestion to copy this file in safe mode, get rid of the current version and start with the copied version. But that also is not possible since in Safe Mode the notebook is not recognizing the maxtor detachable drive and as explained above, I am not able to copy this file to local hard disk.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks a ton in advance. Hope to solve this without loosing any emails.

G

getin.jiggy

other .pst (and many other formats) files on this drive are working fine in outlook. It has to do something with individual .pst file.

Any suggestions on this could be solved?

Thanks.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You'll need to try scanpst then - make a copy of the pst first. You might also try moving it to the computers drive, but i have my doubts it will help - i think its corrupt.

G

getin.jiggy

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

" make a copy of the pst first. You might also try moving it to the computers drive" - I am not able to make a copy of the .pst (not to the drive itself and not to the local drive). Still trying to find a solution how to successfully copy/backup the .pst before running scanpst.

" i think its corrupt" - If it was really corrupt, then it would not be showing all the emails/folders correctly in the first few seconds. There is something else to it.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks.

G

getin.jiggy

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Can you please explain on what basis do you think this .pst might be corrupted? keeping in mind that all emails/folders are correctly visible for the first few seconds. To me all this seems to do with lock / access to the .pst file rather than it being corrupted. Thanks for the clarification.

Before running scanpst, I am still trying to take a back of this .pst file which itself is quite a challenge (refer to my original post for details). Any suggestions here?

Thanks once again.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
" make a copy of the pst first. You might also try moving it to the computers drive" - I am not able to make a copy of the .pst (not to the drive itself and not to the local drive). Still trying to find a solution how to successfully copy/backup the .pst before running scanpst.
Why not? What happens when you try? Can you move or copy it it after you reboot, before opening outlook?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Can you please explain on what basis do you think this .pst might be corrupted? keeping in mind that all emails/folders are correctly visible for the first few seconds. To me all this seems to do with lock / access to the .pst file rather than it being corrupted. Thanks for the clarification.

Before running scanpst, I am still trying to take a back of this .pst file which itself is quite a challenge (refer to my original post for details). Any suggestions here?

Thanks once again.

Outlook keeps a lock on pst while its open but once closed it releases it within a few minutes. If the error occurs after a reboot, it could be a bad sector on the drive. Oh. how big is the pst and how is the drive formatted? Is the pst small enough to be well under the file size allowed by the disk format?

G

getin.jiggy

" Why not? What happens when you try? Can you move or copy it it after you reboot, before opening outlook?"

On trying to move or copy, I get the following error msg: " Cannot read from source file or disk." . I even tried right after rebooting (b4 opening Outlook), but it is the same problem.

Thanks for trying to help.

G

getin.jiggy

" Outlook keeps a lock on pst while its open but once closed it releases it within a few minutes. If the error occurs after a reboot, it could be a bad sector on the drive."

Right, but this does not explain why the .pst could be corrupted, keeping in mind that it does open correctly with all emails/folders viewable but after a few seconds the error msg starts to appear: " Cannot display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook cannot access the specified folder location. The file F:\XXX.pst cannot be accessed." . To me all this seems to do with lock / access to the .pst file.

Though I read somewhere that some versions of Outlook keep the lock for even 30 minutes after being closed. It however cannot be relevant in my case since even after rebooting (& b4 starting Outlook), I am still not able to copy the .pst file since it gives " Cannot read from source file or disk." error msg.

" how big is the pst and how is the drive formatted? Is the pst small enough to be well under the file size allowed by the disk format?"

It is currently 556 MB (way less than the 2GB limit set by Microsoft). It is funny that everytime I test opening this .pst with Outlook, it adds 2MB to the total file size, even without downloading any single email.

I am still trying to first back-up this .pst file b4 running scanpst. Tried opening this USB external drive in safe-mode but Vista does how show/recognize this USB external drive in safe-mode.

Any further suggestions? Thanks for your help.

G

Guruprasad Ra

Check if you are able to copy and open the .pst file in Outlook using Windows Clean-boot mode. This issue may occur due to some updates implemented by the security software.

To enable Clean-boot for Windows Vista, refer to the link below:

Note: ensure to follow Step 7 to be able to restore Normal Start-up

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Do you sync with a smartphone?

Do you use any programs that access Outlook's data?

Immediately after booting when you try to copy the pst and get the error, is outlook.exe running in Task Manager processes? If not, something else is causing problems. It could be bad sectors or a corrupt pst... caused by bad sectors.

That is opens for a little seems odd but you still need check the pst and the drive for errors.

G

getin.jiggy

Check if you are able to copy and open the .pst file in Outlook using Windows Clean-boot mode. This issue may occur due to some updates implemented by the security software.

To enable Clean-boot for Windows Vista, refer to the link below:

Note: ensure to follow Step 7 to be able to restore Normal Start-up

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

I tried but this did not help. Thanks for trying to help anyways.

G

getin.jiggy

Do you sync with a smartphone?

Do you use any programs that access Outlook's data?

Immediately after booting when you try to copy the pst and get the error, is outlook.exe running in Task Manager processes? If not, something else is causing problems. It could be bad sectors or a corrupt pst... caused by bad sectors.

That is opens for a little seems odd but you still need check the pst and the drive for errors.

No smartphone sync'hing & Outlook.exe is not running right after boot up.

I have not been able to take a backup successfully & I will just try scanning the .pst now.

G

getin.jiggy

I tried running the scanpst and got the following error msg: " An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use a disk error checking program to check the disk, and then try using the MS Office Outlook 2007 Inbox Repair Tool again."

Other files in the external drive (and in the same folder) are ok. The problem is only with this file.

Any suggestions on this " disk error checking program" ?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I tried running the scanpst and got the following error msg: " An unexpected error prevented access to this file. Use a disk error checking program to check the disk, and then try using the MS Office Outlook 2007 Inbox Repair Tool again."

Other files in the external drive (and in the same folder) are ok. The problem is only with this file.

Any suggestions on this " disk error checking program" ?

chkdsk will work fine.

G

getin.jiggy

chkdsk will work fine.

Thanks, that worked in solving the disk error problem. Now I will run scanpst and hopefully can close this problem with minimum loss.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.