Outlook 2007 "Cannot move the items. The folder is full"

• Thread starter Wouldliketoknowmore
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wouldliketoknowmore

When trying to move sub folders from one folder to another I receive error msg as per title. Previously I was able to re-organise my folders either by dragging and dropping or using the rt click/Move menu. I've shaved 6 months off my archive date and compressed data in my personal folders, but error msg persists. Any ideas?

W

Wouldliketoknowmore

I've run scanpst.exe then when I opened Outlook it said the personal folders had not been closed down properly so they were checked, then is said the archive folders had not been closed down properly so they were also checked, then Outlook hung up and even with the Task Manager I could not close Outlook, so re-started the computer. Outlook then opened normally but I am still unable to move folders around. Any further ideas?

W

Wouldliketoknowmore

Thank you - when in Safe Mode I can move the folders about. But when reverting to Outlook not in the Safe Mode the problem persists. Does this point towards something else I can try to resolve the issue?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Thank you - when in Safe Mode I can move the folders about. But when reverting to Outlook not in the Safe Mode the problem persists. Does this point towards something else I can try to resolve the issue?

It often means there is a problem with an addin - go to tools, trust center addins and look over the list. Then click on the Go button at the bottm and uncheck the non-microsoft addins. (You can uncheck all addins, but the MS addins usually don't cause problems.) Does it still error? Re-enable any addins one at a time and test. If you identify the addin, please report it here so it can help others.

W

Wouldliketoknowmore

There was only one non MS addin, after removing and restarting the problem persisted, so I removed ALL addins that could be removed, several of the MS addins cannot be removed. Have restarted Outlook and the problem remains. Perhaps there is a larger problem here since whilst I close down Outlook in an orderly fashion, when re-opening it often tells me it was not closed down properly do I want to start in Safe Mode.

W

Wouldliketoknowmore

Unfortunately I can no longer move files around when in Safe Mode either. Do you have any more advice for me?

W

Wouldliketoknowmore

Yes, have run scanpst. There were two pst files, the first said there were errors and I went on to the repair stage which appeared to run successfully. On the second pst file it asked me to close Outlook, which I did and then ran the application which took a second or two only. Problem of not being able to move files continues. I can create new files. Regarding trying to delete a file, this tells me Cannot delete this folder, Right click the folder then click properties to check your permissions for the folder. See the folder owner or the Administrator to change your permissions. The folder is full. Under Properties on the Administration Tab all options are greyed out except Initial View on Folder which is set to Normal. This is a stand alone computer, and I am the owner and administrator. Does this suggest anything? Thanks for you continued input :)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
How large is the pst file and is it the older Outlook 97-2002 format?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
How large is the pst file and is it the older Outlook 97-2002 format?

W

Wouldliketoknowmore

My current .pst file is 377MB, and it is compacted in Outlook 97-2002 format. (I have checked Alert me when someone responds to this post, but am not receiving any Alert, so sorry for slowness of replies)

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
My current .pst file is 377MB, and it is compacted in Outlook 97-2002 format. (I have checked Alert me when someone responds to this post, but am not receiving any Alert, so sorry for slowness of replies)
Alerts don't always work :(.

That pst is not anything close to the max size for the older pst format (1.9GB), so its not because the file is too large.

ETA: that means I'm out of ideas. Maybe MS Support can escalate the problem internally.

Status
Not open for further replies.