I have suddenly lost the ability to backup my .pst file using the Outlook 2003 Add-on “Outlook 2003 Personal Folders Backup”

G

gx41

Date: 4/19/2010

Product: Microsoft Outlook 2003 Standard

Problem: I have suddenly lost the ability to backup my .pst file using the Outlook 2003 Add-on “Outlook 2003 Personal Folders Backup”

Error Messages, etc.: Open Outlook>File>Backup>little box says (among the usual stuff) “(no files set for backup)”. I click on Options and it says under “Backup these Personal Folders files:”: “(no personal folders files are currently open)”. Under “File location:“ “Browse” is grayed out. However, to my eyes these Personal Folders (I have three and cannot delete the two I do not want - but that is another story in a separate post) seem to function as usual.

Attempts to fix the problem: Uninstalled and re-installed the Outlook 2003 Personal Folders Backup Program. This had no effect on resolving the problem.

Can anyone suggest a solution? (If you can also tell me how to delete the two unwanted Personal Folders (The usual procedures outlined by Microsoft do not work. Again, please see separate posting by gx41.) that too would be greatly appreciated. I only have one outlook.pst file (that I know of).

Thanks, gx41

R

Roady [MVP]

The "other issue" is not so irrelevant as you might think. You cannot remove the Personal Folders files that you do not want because your mail profile holds corruptions. These very same corruptions will prevent the backup-add-in from working properly as well.

To solve the issue, recreate your mail profile via the Mail applet in Control Panel.

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]